“worst B&B I have ever seen”
Review of Ashley London

Ashley London
Ranked #883 of 1,063 Hotels in London
München
“worst B&B I have ever seen”
Reviewed 4 November 2011

This B&B was ridiculous, the smallest rooms ever, a badly filthy carpet in the room, the sink in the desk (!) and the bathroom so small you couldn't turn around, with mouldy walls. You had no place to put any luggage and the wardrobe just had hangers. The courtains were with holes and grey/dirty and you couldn't lock the window. What else? Truely, I can accept a lot, but this was an insult. I stepped into the room and just got sick. never ever chose this hotel, if you have another choice.

Room Tip: if you need to stay in that area, chose rather a hotel than the victorian B&Bs, the hotels look...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
4 Thank remoerk

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Weymouth
Reviewed 31 October 2011

I was staying at the Ashley Hotel on a business trip and it was a late booking.

The hotel is situated about two minutes walk from Paddington Station and is therefore convenient for both Tube and mainline services. It is a Regency style town house that has been converted into a hotel.

I arrived in mid evening and was met by a male receptionist with poor spoken English and a rather long registration form. I was then advised that my room was on the fourth floor. It was fortunate that I was only carrying a small overnight bag as there are no lifts in the Ashley Hotel. There was no offer of a wake up call or provision of a daily paper for the morning. The hotel and the booking agent, Last Minute, make no mention of these matters in their descriptions of hotel amenities.

I had also booked breakfast as part of the package but the hotel does not start serving until 7.30 am which was too late for me as my business in London called for an 8 am start at venue. The late start is mentioned neither by the hotel or the booking agent, Last Minute. As I left the hotel the following morning at 7am most of the surrounding hotels’ breakfast rooms were in full swing.

The receptionist gave me little further instruction and I had to find my way to the stairs along various corridors. The stairs were small, narrow, winding and steep with doors immediately at the top of each floor – some open inwards and some the other way.

Attaining the fourth floor feels like reaching the base camp for an attempt on Everest!

The décor is pretty grim and the management has not been troubled with a decorator’s invoice for a couple of decades or more. Paint is worn and chipped and there is a slight musty smell to the corridors. The corridors are dimly lit and depressing.

Still, from experience, sometimes the hotel is saved by a gem of a room. Sadly not on this occasion,

One wall slanted at a sickening twenty degrees (see photo) and the room was adorned in a faded puke yellow with an old fashioned pattern. Most of the buttons on the room radio/intercom were missing and it had a very 70’s look to it.

The bed was very comfortable but the room suffered from lots of noise from the surrounding area (mostly fireworks during my stay). Then as I lay down I noted there was what appeared to be a map of the African Rift Valley on the ceiling – no I was wrong, it was just a huge crack and damp patch – it will fall soon so watch out if you have the dreaded Room 411.

The electrics connecting the TV were interesting and wires and junction boxes hung from the wall (see photo).

The waste paper bin appeared, at first glance, to have been emptied but then I noticed second hand chewing gum in the bottom.

The ‘en suite’ was rather sad. I recently stayed at a hostel recently where the toilet/bathroom was advertised accurately as a ‘wet room’. That room was larger than the one provided in the Ashley Hotel (see photo). The room provided by the Ashley Hotel should be described as a ‘wet room’. It is incredibly small (see photo) with little delineation between the facilities. Additionally there was no plug in the sink and water ran from the rear of the toilet over the floor when flushed! Reassuringly (I hope) the water was clear and was from the cistern.

On leaving the Ashley Hotel I reported the missing plug and cistern issue to the two staff at reception. The male just said ‘OK’ and the female remained fixated with her nails. There was no apology – but then I did not expect one.

All in all the hotel is convenient but was not worth the £70 I paid (and that was a discount rate). It epitomises so many London hotels; there is enough passing trade that we don’t have to try too hard and do not need repeat custom. A Travelodge would provide a far superior hotel experience on so many levels.

Room Tip: Ground floor or go elsewhere!
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank QuoVadisWeymouth

Travellers are raving about these London hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 October 2011

I arrived in London from South Africa in September on a business trip, never having been in UK before. I booked Ashley Hotel online and really did not know what to expect.
I found that it has a very convenient location, walking distance from Paddington Station and good transport links to everywhere. Even though it is located in central London, it overlooks a green square so it is very quiet and pleasant. The room was small, but spotlessly clean and comfortable. What I however most enjoyed was the service; the reception staff went out of their way to not only make my stay as comfortable as possible (even changing my room to save me lugging baggage up the stairs), but also provided a wealth of advice on everything a first comer to London might need: from where to shop, to how to get around, to advice on prices, places and even the weather!
I will definitely stay there again if I am in London.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank EclipseV
New York City, New York
Reviewed 20 September 2011

In the vastly overpriced London market, nobody should expect a lot from accommodations in that price range. If you keep your expectations low, you'll probably do fine. Location is a major positive point going for that place, as it allows super-quick transportation to and from the airport (it's steps away from Paddington Express) , and yet it's close enough to the center of the city that you can take a long stroll there (I did). There are a few decent restaurants in the neighborhood, which is pleasant in general. As others reported, you have to climb steep and narrow stairs to get to majority of the rooms. Mine was right under the roof and I was glad I carried a tiny amount of luggage. If you have massive suitcases on your next trip, stay away from from this place. The room was exceptionally tiny and reasonably clean, but the common bath facilities were inconvenient (no sink to wash hands in the bathroom) and the shower didn't drain well. Included breakfast was serviceable but it's nothing compared to continental breakfast common in the US. Just croissants, cheese and cereal, and some decent coffee. I could stay there again if need be, but will try to shop for a better place.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank LongIslandGlobal
Grimsby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 September 2011

Absolute joke stinking scruffy badly run hole not fit for a dog! Booked myself and my father in for 1 night whilst my boyfriend had surgery on welbeck street the rooms smelt of fust and generally scruffy the stairs carpets were torn in numerous places and duck taped up! The net curtains were stained yellow as was the telephone the bathroom was dirty and inadequate never seen such a [--] in all my life but being 3 hrs from home had no choice but to try and get some sleep , looks lovely from outside but my god it's disgusting I would not even normally enter smewere with such low standards our local homeless hostel is cleaner can't believe this place is even allowed to serve the public we Sid get a breakfast in with the price but there was no way we were goin to eat here! Don't ever ever stay here unless u enjoy feeling filthy

• Stayed September 2011
2 Thank Sam G
Mitcheldean, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 September 2011

A small family owned hotel with foriegn staff and small rooms. A cooked breakfast is available here.

The hotel is located in a square with simiar hotels. I prefer hotels here as can walk to the wonderful Hyde park about 15 minutes away on foot.

There is a fish and chip shop very close which is useful for a late night meal.

Alternatvely. Sandwiches can be bought at the Supermarkets in the station at a reasonable price.

Room Tip: The lower floor is better as the upper floors are very narrow adn breakfast room is in the basement...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Vegetarian4ever
Paris, France
Reviewed 7 September 2011

We reserved a quad room for 4 nights at the Ashley Hotel over the Internet. We arrived at the hotel late in the evening after a long drive from York. We were greeted at reception by the rudest man I have ever met. Rather than being polite and saying hello he said "show me your ID". What followed was a lengthy interrogation regarding my nationality. He then insisted I pay for the 4 nights upfront before I was even given an opportunity to see the room. I told him I would not be paying until I was shown the room. He eventually agreed to let us see the room. My family and I climbed an endless, narrow, dirty staircase (there is no lift) to the room. Trying to get out of the building quickly in an emergency situation would be impossible! The room was tiny and very unsafe. The windows were open and could not be closed/locked. All of the windows along the staircase were wide open, not something you want when you're asleep at night. The hotel was so horrible that we ended up leaving as soon as we got back downstairs (despite having already paid the deposit- 1 night). I would not recommend this hotel to anyone. I would not even let my dog sleep in it. The staff were incredibly rude and unprofessional. We slept in a nearby hotel which was much nicer for the same price. The next day we returned to put in a formal complaint to management. A guest leaving the hotel said she had also not enjoyed her stay, particularly because she was staying alone and could not close or lock her window. Management was unavailable and the female employee at the desk was equally as rude as the man from the previous evening. Please do not stay at this hotel.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family