“Top secret hotel”

Ranked #296 of 1,067 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersBronze level
“Top secret hotel”
Reviewed 5 March 2012

Booked through lastminute.com as a top secret hotel.. Got a Great deal including breakfast which was lovely.. Rooms were spacious, clean and did the job.. Overall, a very pleasant stay so i'd definately return.

• Stayed March 2012
1 Thank Deej87
OperationsManager_9, Operations Manager at Novotel London ExCeL, responded to this review, 6 March 2012
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your fantastic review.

Your review serves as a great motivator to the team here at the hotel and I am delighted to read that you had such an enjoyable stay with us. I will be sure to pass your feedback onto our staff.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Novotel London ExCeL, Royal Victoria Dock sometime in the future.

Email: h3656@accor.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (277)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
St Neots, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 March 2012

Arrived at hotel hungry and exhausted. Meal took 35 mins from ordering and was cold when served. Checked in room. Had requested quiet room as competing at British Swimming Olympic Trials. Airconditioning clearly not functioning. Room stifling. Kept awake until 2 am by drunken revellers and then at 4.30 am the delivery drivers started to descend with that irritating reverse warning noise and their engines running. NO SLEEP. But major concern is hygiene! The tiny cupboard of a WC does not offer a wash handbasin - thought this was contrary to building regs? To cap it all - bed bug bites.
Plenty of other options in the area so avoid this one. Shame 'cos some of staff were very friendly and really tried to help.

Room Tip: They must have quieter rooms - do not take room 401
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank lavallins
OperationsManager_9, Operations Manager at Novotel London ExCeL, responded to this review, 7 March 2012
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Novotel London ExCeL.

The public area temperature is controlled to ensure an ambient environment for all guests throughout the hotel. We are currently operating on a winter cycle as there is little demand for cool air at this time of year. The room temperature is individually controlled by the thermostat.

An independent contractor has checked your room today and there is no evidence of bugs. This room was also checked in January as part of our regular checks and there was also no evidence. Please also be advised that no feedback or comments were received at the time of your stay for the above issue from yourself or raised with the hotel management.

At the Novotel London ExCeL, we take health and hygiene issues very seriously as the safety and the well being of our guests is our primary concern. To ensure our high standards are always maintained, we are independently and regularly audited by an independent Health, Safety and Food Safety consulting company.

Any concerns during your stay should be raised with the hotel staff who will be happy to assist or alternatively with the Duty Manager at the hotel. You mentioned that the hotel staff were friendly and they would have assisted had they been advised of your concerns.

I have since sent an am email to your father in regards to your feedback, but have not yet received any reply.

I am disappointed hear that you did not enjoy your stay, as many of the comments on tripadvisor.com are overwhelming positive.

Clitheroe, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 March 2012

On arrival I requested a high room to the rear of the hotel and was treated quite poorly by the member of staff booking me in saying the hotel was full and it was not possible; to change I could try checking each day; the next day I spoke with another member of staff who changed my room without any problem at all and had an altogether different attitude.
The hotel is in a superb location if visiting the Excel or O2 arena and has excellent connections into London if required.
The hotel is on the direct take off flightpath from London City airport but this did not spoil my stay.
The staff were helpful and efficient and the restaurant facilities were of good standard and service for a large hotel such as this.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
OperationsManager_9, Operations Manager at Novotel London ExCeL, responded to this review, 5 March 2012
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review on tripadvisor.com, we appreciate your valued feedback.

On behalf of the hotel team, I would like to apologize for any unprofessionalism from the front desk staff member. I am personally following up on your feedback with the front office team.

I am pleased you found the hotel location convenient for the O2 Arena & Indig02 and the ExCeL London (Exhibition Centre) and ICC (International Convention Centre)

Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 27 February 2012

Just checked out this morning after a six night stay during a show at the Excel Centre. We were invited to upgrade to a better service package by paying £20 per night and found the free Internet//broadband only worked if you had a laptop. IPad made it out of luck. However, the Night Manger (an excellent guy) gave us a credit on the final bill.

Here is what we found shocking....and there are many Olympic events right there in a few months...please think about this.

1. In an executive suite there were no dressers. No drawers. We had to live out of our suitcases for six days
2. The front desk, restaurant and bar staff barely have basic english skills but do not understand service, communication and are letting the hotel down. Restaurant 101 is service. To wait to be served for 20-30 minutes on successive occasions in three locations was embarrassing. When I order a specic Scotch, don't give me something else. Again....language is a big issue here.
3. free WiFi. Every restaurant and the Excel Centre has this. Why would any guest want to pay€9.50 for 24 hours on Orange and have insanely long login and password numbers?
4. If you are promised a newspaper at your door in the morning then deliver it. Six mornings - zero newspapers.

I was pretty disappointed in my stay. My husband was livid.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
OperationsManager_9, Operations Manager at Novotel London ExCeL, responded to this review, 1 March 2012
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on tripadvisor.com

I am pleased to see that you rated our location, sleep quality and cleanliness highly.

We regret that the storage requirements in your room did not meet your level of expectation. There is a drawer located underneath the television in every bedroom. We do have alternatives available for guests, should they require it. Our housekeeping team are happy to assist.

Eight years after we opened our hotel in 2004, we continue our commitment to continually upgrade our facilities including refurbishing 18 bedrooms in 2012 to the new Novotel ‘generation’ rooms, which will include different storage space. We have listened to our guest reviews and designed these new ‘Novation’ bedrooms accordingly.

With many guests arriving from around the world, the Novotel London ExCeL caters for many individuals who speak so many different languages. The staff at the hotel represent 32 countries and many languages, so we can plan accordingly, including during the Olympic Games. Last year delegations from many countries including Russia, China and the Brazil were all met and cared for by staff members who speak their language.

All Novotel hotels worldwide offer complimentary internet acesss in the Novotel hotel lobby on i-Mac (Apple) computers. Wi-Fi prices (U.K. hotels) start from €1.50. Broadband packages are available and inclusive with our Executive Rooms & Suites (U.K. only).

I do take full responsibility for any shortfalls in the service of the hotel and I am personally following up on the feedback you have posted on this website.

If you would like to address these concerns further please contact me as guest feedback is taken seriously so as to continually improve our facilities and services

email: h3656@accor.com
Bath
Reviewed 23 February 2012

Novotel Excel is an attractive and good value hotel with a beautiful, airy bar and spacious terrace...I have stayed here 8 times over the years...I find the beds comfortable, and enjoy the breakfast buffet (although somebody should stop guests standing at the buffet gorging themselves..get a plate of food and sit down..!?)

BUT:

The service isn't always great (although I have had good service here before, to be fair). I stayed here a few days ago, and it took me nearly 40 mins to check in, despite there being no queue..."Robert" on reception didn't look up or acknowledge me in any way when I was standing there with my bags...I had to say to him after a few minutes "Excuse me...I'd like to check in..,.?" He looked at me and said "Sure...". He couldn't find my booking on the system...said he'd have to check something out the back..then another guest barged in with a complicated parking query, "Robert" then decided to stop attending to me completely, and deal with this man instead...after another 5 minutes, I asked another staff member to check me in instead - "Robert" didn't bat an eyelid. Maybe it was something about me, but this guy was a disgrace, I really wish Novotel Head Office could have seen him in action, it was like a training video of how not to provide good service!

I eventually got to my room, which was absolutely fine - clean and spacious with a great view.

My room card stopped working 4 times during my stay, for which nobody on reception apologised, just blankly took it from me, swiped it and handed it back without a word. It's funny, but if I check into this hotel dressed casually, I always get treated differently than when I'm dressed for work! A couple of staff I personally found very sour and rude, but I would stay again maybe, although the new Aloft hotel two DLR stops on is absolutely excellent in every respect - warm, professional, welcoming service - Novotel Excel take note!

Lettonie

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank CherryBath
OperationsManager_9, Operations Manager at Novotel London ExCeL, responded to this review, 24 February 2012

Greetings from the Novotel London ExCeL, Royal Victoria Dock

Thank you for taking the time to complete your feedback on tripadvisor.com.

I am very pleased you rated our cleanliness so highly, I will pass on your feedback to our housekeeping team.

On behalf of the hotel team, I would like to apologize for any unprofessionalism from the front desk staff member. I am personally following up on your feedback with the individual concerned.

Your feedback is highly appreciated. I am currently working with the Front Office Manager to correct and improve our service.

Our guest observations are paramount to us. We thank you for all your comments and we would like to assure you that anything brought to our notice is treated with care and attention it deserves.

We hope to serve you better on your next visit with us.

West Sussex
Reviewed 23 February 2012

We stayed here on New Years Eve as we went to see Kasabian at the O2.
We turned up at 6pm on New Years Eve and had to wait 30 minutes in reception as our room was it was not ready!! When we got to the room it was not fully equiped - there was no toliet paper, no glasses either in the bathroom or by the mini bar - so we were a little disappointed.
The room was spacious and has a sofa bed, tv, iron, wifi, mini bar - although you needed a key to open it, so meant another call to reception.
The bathroom and toliet set up was unconventional - the toilet was just by the door with no sink and the bathroom was round the corner next to the right of the bed.
The hotel was clean and the staff were friendly and ideally geared for business types, travellers for the airport and people visiting or exhibiting at the Excel centre
Breakfast was not included in our room and extremely expensive so we passed.
All in all it served it's purpose a bed close(ish) to the O2 for a night.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for choosing the Novotel London ExCeL, Royal Victoria Dock for your recent stay in London. It’s always pleasing to receive feedback from our valued guests.

I am naturally disappointed to hear that your room was not properly stocked and have followed up your feedback with our housekeeping team.

We are concerned with the satisfaction of all of our guests and if the opportunity to return to London presents itself and you are willing to give us a return visit, please feel free to contact me.