“Below average and v expensive”
Review of The Angel & Crown

The Angel & Crown
Ranked #6,973 of 25,591 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: British
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Covent Garden
Description: Pub with restaurant on 1st floor - recently opened
Reviewed April 25, 2014

Sub standard pub food but good service. Inflexible chef despite the £22 price tag on the rib eye and half a dozen chips.... Chicken sounded lovely but turns out was a boiled chicken drumstick and a thigh with a dollop of mash. And a large galas of wine was just under a tenner,...

If your in London and fancy a nice meal.... For the price there are far far superior places complete rip off.

Date of visit: April 2014

Reviewed April 14, 2014 via mobile

Went here with my husband and two teens. Lunch in the bar since the restaurant was closed. Good food but no service. The guy didn't take time to come with the drinks etc. And it wasn't a crow.... Alone most of the time. Decent lunch for 10 pounds incl beer or wine is ok so overall fine!

Reviewed April 13, 2014

We ate here last Saturday lunchtime. Previously been here for a drink only and liked the choice of real ales and ambience. Sadly this time disappointing. One of the bar staff was arrogant and dismissive. The other one was ok. We ordered four meals, only three came together, my husband had to wait as they'd obviously forgotten his. The burger wasn't cooked properly, the chips were smothered in salt. A member of staff who was vaguely monitoring the pub, seemed to have his mind elsewhere, and gave a brief apology but was half hearted in this. We should have complained there and then I know, but it was so busy we just wanted to leave. Have to add the mussels my friend ordered were delicious. Steer clear of the burgers.

Date of visit: April 2014
Reviewed April 3, 2014

My mother and I ate here last Friday evening pre-theatre, though we ate from the A-la Carte menu rather than the pre-theatre menu because we were using Taste Card (50% off food), and we both really fancied the rib eye steak, based on reviews we have read.
The staff who looked after us were two of the loveliest people we met that day, very attentive and chatty and made our experience really enjoyable. We would have left them a nice tip if we hadn't already paid service on the bill. We ordered our steaks rare, they came with chips and a side salad and bearnaise sauce - I asked for the sauce on the side. The steak was large, cooked perfectly and was delicious! The side salad was fresh rocket leaves and the chips were crispy and chunky. The only disappointment was the extra portion of salad we asked for to share - it was a bit limp, it seemed to have been under a hot lamp, and was in stark contrast to the fresh leaves on the plate. Desert was delicious too! We had a lovely time, and dinner set us up for the rest of an enjoyable evening. Would eat here again, and recommend it to anyone visiting the area.

Date of visit: March 2014
1  Thank SuzieHarvey17
Reviewed March 28, 2014 via mobile

I've been there tonight with a friend using Tastecard. We ordered two burgers and a british cheese board. I ordered my burger medium rare and my friend medium but at the time of bringing them to the table they were left without stating which one was mine. Obviously, that was because they were both dry and over done. The fries were also disappointing.
I was really interested on coming here as my boyfriend loves burgers and we thought this could be a nice place to go sometimes but after tonight, I will not come back!
I have to say though that the staff was lovely, really nice! A cracker with the cheese fell when left at the table and the waitress brought us some more. They were very attentive!

So, great service but very poor food... what a pity!

Date of visit: March 2014