“Foodie beware”

Peking-Seoul Restaurant
Ranked #17,492 of 25,305 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Korean
Reviewed April 4, 2018

Before I begin, I should note that this experience was over two years ago, so I'm not sure if the same owners still run the restaurant. I didn't write my experience earlier on because I had misplaced the business card during the trip....only to find the card today! The experience was so bad that I am still inclined to write about it years later.

We were staying in London for a few days and this was the only Chinese restaurant in the area. We ordered three items from the menu, with one being a spicy tofu dish. The other dishes came and were fine, albeit slightly smaller in portion. However, when the tofu dish came we noticed that it borderline putrid. Mind you, it wasn't to the point that it was "stinky tofu", but the sour taste was a put-off. Bear in mind, the spicy sauce for the most part, covered much of the sour taste. But the fact that we were still able to taste the "sourness" was indicator enough that it should not have been served. Being Asian and having grown up on tofu (and loving it), I am experienced enough to know that sour tofu equates to putrid tofu.

When we spoke to the waitress about it, she was willing to offer a new plate of the same item. I wasn't too keen on having the same item, since it was highly likely that the entire batch of tofu wasn't fresh, so I asked if I could switch to something else that was same in price. She went to ask the owner and came back advising that the only option was for a new plate of the same item. Certainly not customer oriented! I wasn't asking for a free meal or a free dish, only for a switch to something else of the same price. In fact, I felt offended, as if my integrity was called into question.

Without a choice, we had to agree to a replacement of the same dish. When the new dish arrived, we noticed that it was salter and spicier. In other words, it is likely either of the following scenario.....1) entire tofu batch was spoiled or 2) they returned the same dish to us adding a saltier and spicier sauce!

Needless to say, we were not happy with situation and asked to speak to the owner. The waitress went to call the owner, but came back advising that she could not speak to us as she only speaks Korean! Even with the language barrier, the owner could have had one of her staff (one young gentleman and one female waitress working at the time) translate on her behalf. The fact that she refused to even come to our table shows that she was dismissive of the situation and just didn't care.

Of all the countries that we have visited, this restaurant experience rates as the worse. Not to mention, the Chinese food they serve here isn't even authentic Chinese food. Moving forward, it's been a few years, so hopefully things have improved or it is under new ownership. But reading the other recent reviews.....I think otherwise.

Reviewed March 30, 2018

It’s only virtue in my view is that it’s probably the nearest Chinese to Paddington station. I called in because of hunger and not recommendation. Bland food and over priced. I had Chinese (rather than Korean menu) it was egg fried rice and chicken and cashew nut with a can of coke for £15.10. The staff were friendly and delivery of food quick (if you need to hurry for a train)

Reviewed February 14, 2018

overcooked expensive greasy food with poor service - better off walking down to Queensway for proper Chinese food

Reviewed February 11, 2018

Had an evening meal here and found it pretty good.
Good variety on the menu, food was tasty and nice and hot.
They took quite a long time to come and get the order, and a long time also to present the bill. Staff were friendly. We would come again.

Reviewed January 30, 2018

Inexpensive yummy authentic Chinese food. Nice variety and good options also open until late. Only decent Chinese restaurant that I found in the Paddington area. Easily accessible on main street.