“excellent restaurant”

Ranked #651 of 25,471 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: British
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Shoreditch
Description: The Clove Club opened in March 2013 in Shoreditch Town Hall, East London. The restaurant is named after the original supper club that brought our founders Daniel Willis, Isaac Mchale and Johnny Smith together in 2010. We serve modern British cooking – thoughtful, precise and elegant food in a relaxed and informal setting. At The Clove Club we serve a tasting menu that highlights the best produce we can source from across the British Isles, with ideas and inspirations from around the world. Our wine list showcases regions from the old and new world, encompassing traditional and modern styles of wine making, with a focus on artisanal growers. In addition we also offer a number of pairings – classic and prestige wine pairings, as well as a soft pairing and an ambient tea pairing.
Reviewed October 7, 2018 via mobile

I tried the full test menu, including the wine selection
Believe me, this restaurant will soon be ahead of the top 50 restaurants in the world.
I will not describe the food, you have to try it
service is superlative, smiling and kind
this is a place I would recommend to the culinary connoisseurs

Reviewed October 6, 2018

This place was worth the wait to get booked in. When we arrived early for a drink in the informal area in the front I must say I was already starting to think 'what is all the hype about' and even a bit of the same thought when we were taken through to the restaurant. It feels nice but nothing extra nice. It is the food that is the 'extra' - and truly extra extra extra we have to say!!
There was a lot of 'performance factor' and 'fun' in the presentation of the food but the food and flavours still shone and were not lost. A few weeks ago we were at 'Smyth', a starred restaurant in Chicago, and it actually felt VERY VERY similar in style and ideas. But this was better. So, the small criticisms and then the good stuff!....
It didn't affect our table but there were a couple of tables that were just far too close together. I felt sorry for those tables as to get out and excuse themselves people had to ask others on other tables to stand up and move their chairs so they could stand up and get out. Not good! Wine is unsurprisingly eye wateringly expensive but what can you expect? Also, on several occasions the same ingredient was used in different dishes, say in the garnishes. We are torn between wondering if that lacked imagination or was an attempt to pull the menu together.
The real downer for me was the bathroom. I simply cannot believe it. The dank underground smell was too much. Did I say I cannot believe it.? Ugh. I don't know if it is the Town Hall's responsibility or the restaurant's but the whole thing is NOT atmospheric in its old-worlde style. It's just terrible. I wished I hadn't needed to go downstairs during the meal as it sticks in my mind sadly.
Anyway, the good stuff: As most other reviewers say, the taster of buttermilk chicken was mind-blowing. We commented to the waiter that we'd be more than happy if he just brought out that same dish for ALL of the 7 courses in a row. He thought we were joking. We weren't!
The scallop dish with the seaweed woven into it - oh wow, words cannot describe, so let's just say amazing. Husband and I were unified in our decision that that was the tastiest dish. The grouse was also fun and a new experience for us. On the whole we felt the balance was slightly out with too much seafood though, there was one fish dish with mushrooms that was just too confusing on the palate and also something about the mackerel dish was slightly strangely gritty.
I won't go on and on about every dish (I think I have already!) other than now to say for a non-cake-lover the peated barley cake served as part of the petit fours just rocked and the warm potato mousse dessert was definitely the surprising highlight imagination-wise. An absolute winner.
All in all we felt the experience was the perfect autumn experience. In the dishes some remnants of summer and a lead in to winter. Would love to have a repeat experience as I am sure this place is capable of pleasing time after time.

Reviewed September 28, 2018

My wife and I ate at The Clove Club with another couple in March 2018 - we were looking for something a bit special, but not too stuffy, for a night out in London.

Firstly, the service was great - all the staff that interacted with us were friendly and helpful, However, we did seem to be served by about ten different people during the course of the meal, so we didn't have any rapport or consistency (apart from the wine pairing guy). I would advise them to try and make the service a bit more personal.

Secondly, the food is fantastic, if a little pretentious - is certainly stretched all four of us to try new things, and some of the flavour combinations were outstanding. They were very accommodating as two of us are pescatarians, and one of us a vegetarian - this was no problem and the wine pairing was adjusted to the different dishes too.

Lastly, the cost - be prepared to spend close to £250 per person once the service charge has been added.

Would I go again? Not sure - there are just as good places to go in London but without such an extravagant price tag, However, overall all four of us did enjoy the experience, so no regrets.

1  Thank bennylinguini
Reviewed September 26, 2018 via mobile

The service here is fantastic & the food is a work of art..but you need to be into nouvelle/ haute cuisine.

I’m not so the experience was wasted on me.. but my colleagues loved it. Some amazing dishes originally & beautifully presented..

1  Thank MandalUK
Reviewed September 26, 2018

We really enjoyed beautifully presented and tasty food, we’d rate it amongst the best dining experiences we’ve had. Service was excellent. We had the paired wines, really interesting choices we might not have been brave enough to select ourselves.