This is a very small studio in a lovely building in a great location -- although I'm rating it a 3 (Average), a few tweaks would bring it to very nearly 5.
Here's what's lowered my rating:
1) The photos in the listing are NOT of this apartment! (And the point on the map does NOT indicate the actual location of the apartment -- as the description correctly states, it's right off Russell Square.) The furnishings are identical or nearly so, but the layouts are quite different, and the place shown has a bit of wall art and flowers and whatnot, while this place does not: and that meant that the first impression I had was negative, that we'd been baited and switched. I'm not sure the apartment in the photos is necessarily better than this one (though the wall art and flowers give it a warmer vibe) -- just that the photos should show the actual joint!
2) The kitchen is sparsely equipped. The stuff that's there is great and of high quality -- there just could be more of it! For example: one more cutting board, one more kitchen towel, a real colander, a non-stick skillet and maybe another cooking pan (there were enough pots), a spatula and stirring spoons, and definitely a French press for coffee-based lifeforms would be nice! (If you're not planning on cooking, this probably wouldn't be an issue for you...) And maybe this reveals dumbness on my part, but I could also have used directions for the microwave...
3) Depending on the time of day, the wifi internet was slow to nearly nonexistent. This was generally more of a problem in the evenings...
4) A few more little things: not enough hangers in the armoire. A very tiny bathroom sink that was a bit hard to use. It might have been very nice to have one "comfy" chair in addition to the two chairs in the room -- though that would take up precious space in a small room...
That said, there was a lot about this place that's great:
1) A truly excellent location: it's wonderful to get on the Underground at Heathrow and, without changing trains, be delivered one block from your apartment, right near Russell Square. You're also right by great shops and restaurants, including a wonderful Waitrose supermarket a few minutes walk away (again, great if you're planning on cooking...).
2) A very nice building. The room was spotlessly clean! And the building assistant was friendly and helpful.
3) FREE washer and dryer access!
4) The owner was very generous about checkout time -- checking out in the evening was okay, which was nice since we had a later flight.
In spite of some of the negatives above, and the initial negative impression I had when the room was different from the photos, I'd stay here again, and recommend it to others: I think it's not quite up to what it could be, but it's a nice, little place...
|How easy was it to book the property?||How helpful were the directions to the property?|
|How easy was key pickup/access to the property?||Overall condition of the property|
|Bedding & mattresses||Kitchen & utensils|
|Bathroom cleanliness||Other facilities & amenities|
|Friends getaway||Older travelers|