“Ahhhh! I Was Impressed”

Book In Advance
More Info
US$92.53*
and up
Private Victoria & Albert Museum Tour: Greatest...
Ranked #94 of 1,909 things to do in London
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Apsley House is internationally famous as the home of the 1st Duke of Wellington and his descendants. As such it is also a memorial to Britain’s triumph over the Napoleonic threat. It is also significant as a restored historic house, a celebration of Regency style, a museum commemorating the 1st Duke and the home of an outstanding collection of decorative and fine art. Perhaps the most important aspect of the interiors at Apsley House is the magnificent collection of fine and decorative arts, formerly part of the collections of the 1st Duke of Wellington. Over 3,000 fine paintings, sculptures, and works or art fashioned in silver, porcelain, porphyry, batons, swords and orders, given to Britain’s greatest military hero by grateful emperors, tsars and kings, are on display. Most notable are: Sculptures by Canova, including the statue of Napoleon originally commissioned from the Italian sculptor by Napoleon himself & paintings acquired by the 1st Duke from the Spanish royal collection.
Reviewed September 7, 2018

I really did not know what to expect. I enjoy my visit to this historical building. It is not set up as a home. The only room is the glorious dining room. The table is set beautifully. I would have loved an invitation to dine during that era. All the other rooms are now galleries of asthma and collections. Hope you have the time to visit. PS - I was not impressed with my visit in the Wellington Arch, just go if you must, but I was dissapointed.

1  Thank jmcjcd
"interesting visit"
in 16 reviews
"royal collection"

Reviewed September 5, 2018

I visited the house today with my family. What a waste of time. The lady at the cash, after buying the tickets, told us "you cannot take any photos" ok that is fine, but in the same sentence she continued " but you may purchase this souvinier guide book". There are no signs at the door. The presentation of the hand full painting are presented very badly. There are so many refections you can't see the pictures. If you want to see a nice art collection and well presented, please visit, the Wallace collection and it is free. Apsley house collection is not free.

Date of experience: September 2018
1  Thank Martin d
MarcusCribb, Manager at Apsley House, responded to this reviewResponded September 11, 2018

Hello, sorry you did not fully enjoy your visit.

I must address the point about photography first, as you actually pass at least 2 signs outside stating that photography is not permitted inside. This is always emphasised at the admission desk so all visitors are aware.

The layout of the paintings, though not to your likely are as closely located to the positioning under The 1st Duke of Wellington's time in Apsley House. They style you see is that of the highest regency fashion.

We are in the process of installing LED picture lights to most of our portraits and have had great success with the one's currently completed, including all of the Piccadilly Room. However it is both time consuming and very expensive, especially for a charity such as ours.

I hope you will kindly reconsider your review as it doesn't reflect a 1* rating.

Hopefully you visit again and enjoy your visit more.

Reviewed September 5, 2018 via mobile

For a glimpse of the grandeur and splendid surroundings in which the 1st Duke of Wellington lived, look no further than his palatial residence on the edge of Hyde Park. Amid sumptuously furnished rooms is a gallery of portraits of all the artistocracy and military dignitaries of the Iron Duke's times, not least of whom is Napoleon Bonaparte - along with a stunning collection of Old Masters, including Rubens, Titian, Van Dyck, Caravaggio and members of the Flemish School. There are also some exquisite sculptures by Canova. Together with all the lofty cultural goods, are a few very personal items. My favourites were a set of the elderly Duke's false teeth, still preserved in their original box. Who knows? Future generations could be admiring Donald's toupe in a glass case, 200 years from now!

Date of experience: September 2018
1  Thank PatriciaG147
Reviewed September 4, 2018

This was my first visit to "1 London" and I was thrilled. Even though I hadn't slept on a transatlantic flight and was walking around town like a zombie (as my early hotel check-in did not come through) I was captivated and enjoyed the audio tour at leisure.

The Duke of Wellington's residence is still a family home, but many rooms are open to the public and there are many fascinating family treasures and artwork to be savoured.

The staff in the house were amazing - from the cashier to the staff in the rooms. The audio tour was very entertaining and educational. I took my time carefully enjoying all the artwork and décor.

The admission price was quite low as was the guidebook which I will read carefully when I get home (it is a guide as well as a perfect souvenir).

There is a little gift shop in the lobby and you can pair your admission to the price with other related monuments in close proximity.

I will definitely recommend a visit to Apsley House to friends visiting London.

Thanks to the staff for a perfect visit!

2  Thank Torborgie
See more reviews
Reviewed August 27, 2018 via mobile

I would suggest that you should visit here, and if you do, you should also go to the Wellington Arch which is nearby.
Entry fee for Apsley House is £11, and Wellington Arch is £6, but a combined ticket for both is £12.70.
Since I was last at Apsley House, they have introduced an audio tour.
The audio tour has three options.
One designed for younger visitors, an overview option, and a more detailed art lover option.
I chose the "overview" one, and this gently guides you through the various rooms, pointing important details of both the room and it's contents.
You cannot take photos, which I suppose is ok, otherwise I would have to show hundreds during this review!!

1  Thank DonaldM739
MarcusCribb, Manager at Apsley House, responded to this reviewResponded August 31, 2018

Thank you for your 5* which is very informative for other visitors.

Glad you enjoyed Apsley House (and Wellington Arch) and we hope you'll visit again in the future.