“Served a purpose”

Ranked #1,024 of 1,067 Hotels in London
Cullompton, United Kingdom
“Served a purpose”
Reviewed 14 March 2012

We booked the Belgravia Mews Hotel via Late Rooms so we could meet up with family prior to flying out on holiday. We were very pushed for time.

The room was reduced from £600-ish per night to £80 including breakfast as part of the deal hence we booked. Seemed like a very good deal however – key points for us were:

Reception is located the Hotel next door where we were met by efficient staff and the adjoining restaurant seemed very to be very popular.

We were shown to our room about 50m down the street.

The first thing about the room was the overpowering stale smell and badly stained carpet in the room. The bed appeared to be clean.

The tap in the bathroom (small wet room cubicle) was broken and got sprayed by the shower (no way of tuning it off)
The light in bathroom flickered on and off and was partly hanging off its mounting (safety hazard?)
What furniture / room fittings there were were broken
Walls were marked stained as was the paintwork
Big damp / mildew patch on the ceiling
Door handle on the outside of the room was loose. I had to screw it back on my my fingers to stop it coming off in my hand
We had a very early start and so did not bother with breakfast
On the plus side:
Location is good, about 200m from Victoria stations (bus / rail / tube)
The bed was clean and did provide a good nights sleep

This isn't the best deal we've had from late rooms. It is difficult to see how the original price shown when we booked could be justified.

Would not recommend this hotel and will not be using it again.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank RV4Pilot

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Bexhill-on-Sea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 February 2012

Difficult review this one as we booked this hotel up hurriedly on the way to London staying that night via late rooms then read the reviews. Oh dear we thought and started to panic rang late rooms back up to say hopefully we could cancel due to the negative reviews they have had. Lateroom's got straight onto the case but called back five minutes later to ask that the manager was not in until tomorrow so we MAY end up paying even if we didn't stay. So I blamed the poor old husband and he took the ear bashing. We went and had a great day out then decided to check in to see what we had let ourselves in for.
Firstly we arrived to see a notice on the front door to check in at Tophams Hotel no 28 instead of No 50 which annoyed me as we had walked back and lets face was this place was never going to stand a chance especially as when we walked into Tophams what a lovely bright, clean and shiny reception, so we negatively checked in for Belgravia Mews then to be told that Tophams was not fully booked so they had upgraded us to for the same price, I honestly saw my husband's shoulders lift about a foot with relief so went happily to our room No 4 which was in the basement opened the door and got a really pleasant surprise considering what we thought we would be getting!! then on closer inspection......
there was a really bad odour of damp/drains in the room, the shower lights were not working, a HUGH bath but the shower attachment would only work with the bath taps on, sealing and grouting missing in the bathroom, chips on the woodwork and the carpet could have done with a good clean, the mattress was so soft you sunk in the middle and then the air conditioning seemed to have a mind of its own.
However remember we got this at a bargain price of £62.16 including breakfast so should we be complaining probably not!
The next morning we remember the clonking noise as people walked through the reception area above but we had things to do so didn’t want a lay in (good job really). We also then noticed no milk or English tea in the hospitality tray so ventured to breakfast.
English breakfast luckily for us was included in the price although again I think this was because we had been upgraded as I heard someone enquire if they could have a cooked breakfast. The waitress obviously says yes but it was £19.95, thank goodness she declined. The breakfast was buffet style and when I got there they had run out of eggs and bacon, the rest was all being kept warm under not very efficient chaffing tins. The Danish pastries were excellent though so probably best to stick to continental breakfast.
Summary: We did well in the end for £62.16 in the middle of London and were grateful for the upgrade despite the maintenance issues. The reason why I am publishing this on both hotels is to warn others not to pay TOO much for the Topham’s hotel as it does have its downfalls and perhaps try and get an upgrade if you are staying at Belgravia Mews which we could not fault as we did not stay there.
All staff were polite but when we pointed out the smell issue not much notice was taken so overall ok but wouldn’t pay over the top for this hotel.

Room Tip: Perhaps not in the basement but apparently the rooms are smaller upstairs
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank rakeevil
Reviewed 28 January 2012

arrived no room available, said they would find another then couldn't find key, staff all seemed very confused and pissed off with one another.Eventually after an hour and a half they said our room was ready, led us outside the building down the st 2 a dingy dirty room, no main light working got stuck in bathroom, handle coming off the door. Coming home late that night main door 2 building left opened, next morning no running water , no phone in the room, no fire exit 2 b seen. Highlighted these issues they ave given us a alot nicer room, ok at presemt, staff seem annoyed at complaints but they must b used 2 it i wouldn't let my dog slefp here

• Stayed January 2012
2 Thank breen9
UK
Reviewed 23 January 2012

Nothing good to say about this place. Honestly the worst hotel I have ever stayed in. Would have been better sleeping on the street.

The list goes on and on about what was wrong with this place;

Broken toliet - did not flush
No bin in main room
Phone in room was not connected
Room wifi did not work/was not on
No information pack
Ripped carpet
Wallpaper hanging off
Chipped paint and ripped carpets in hallway/stairs
Dirty bed sheets!!!!
Dirty Curtains
No extra pillows
Smelled

It really was as bad as it sounds. Currently trying to get money back but complaint not acknowledged. Now had no get other people involved to resolve the issue.

DO NOT STAY HERE!!!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank haggied
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 January 2012

The hotel, if you can call it that, is most definately not 4 Star. I have just been reading some of the glowing reviews that are shown here and I cannot believe that these people stayed in the same hotel as me.

The reception was shambolic, the staff did not have a clue, the lights didn't work, the handyman shorted the lights, the room stank of damp, the bathroom was a disgrace and the raising of any complaint was met by complete indifference and a sort of surly aggression.

I stay in hotels a lot for work in various parts of the country and I can honestly say hand on heart that this place is shockingly bad. In fact it is so bad I have been motivated to write this review.

It might even be worth checking the source of some of these other reviews as it is so contradictor to my experience.

I can live with the odd quirk or slight annoyance but this place is truly dreadful.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank Malcolm M
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed 8 January 2012

Didn't read the reviews before... And I must say my stay was acceptable at the rate I got the hotel for. It might be down to luck - or appearance? The room I got was no worse than other cheap london "4-stars" (this is London after all). Not at all boutique - but not the horror described.

As the rate was the same as a 2* I can't say I'm unhappy about it, and the location is brilliant. If I knew I'd get the same room again I would recommend it or go back. But as it seems to be something of a lottery, I'm not keen on recommending the place...

As people noted, it seems to be a hostel being renovated, and not at all an hotel. (When I was there the whole hotel seemed to be shut down except the top floor or two?). Either that or a scam. But then, why would Topham put their reputation at risk? Weird... an explanation for this "hotel" would sure be interesting...

• Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
chester
Reviewed 1 January 2012

I dont normally write reviews but I do feel the need to review this place...I work as a therapist in a hotel myself and I've been lucky enough to have stayed in some of the most luxury hotels around the world (granted ive stayed in cheapo ones too) soooo i was initially very worried about staying here as we'd booked without reading reviews first. Me and mum booked it as my dad was paying for us to go shopping and see some shows in london. Well, I had a very pleasant surprise! The hotel is in a fab location near victoria station and close proximity to to lots of attractions. Our room (mews 3) was lovely and clean, modern, with an oversized bath and walk in shower, nice telly, tea and coffee making facilities, complimentary safe and a fridge. The staff were lovely and very helpful at all times. Maybe we were just lucky? But sometimes its just a case of treating others as you would wish to be treated yourself.. if you want a clean and friendly place to stay for a good rate in london, then dont be put off by negative reviews and book :0)

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family