“Do not book here!”

Ranked #1,037 of 1,089 Hotels in London
London, United Kingdom
“Do not book here!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2012

I booked the Belgravia Mews at short notice for one night, if I had read the reviews on here (which are entireley accurate) I would not have touched it with a barge pole. When this was described as a hotel I was expecting at least the normal facilities, not an annex 200 meters down the road with no reception. The room was up two flights of narrow stairs (no elevator), it was small and dingy and looked like it had been decorated by children. The toilet made a horrendous noise when flushed, the tap was coming away from the sink, there was no plug in the sink, etc. At least the room appeared clean but to be honest I did not want to look too hard just in case. I was going to describe it as third world but I have stayed in nicer hotels in India and Nepal at a fraction of the price of this one. Be warned.

Room Tip: Find somewhwere else.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank CarlUK2011

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Troon
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2012

Was there 2 nights. First night had a room with no windows at all. En-suite had a patio door that was filmed over. Lighting was such I couldn't read. Ventilation zero. Asked to moved for 2nd night which they did but omitted to move my luggage was caused a delay as they couldn't locate key for previous room. New room was on top floor (5 flights up - no lift). Admittedly it had windows but they wouldn't close.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
BCN, Spain
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2012

When traveling to London for work, our company's travel agent reserved this location for me. It looked OK on the website and it is indeed conveniently located close to Victoria station. Upon check-in, everything looked OK. The hotel lobby is small, but "boutique chic" The staff was not overly friendly, but also not terrible. However, after waiting a few minutes for the room key, I was told I would be shown to my room. To my surprise, we exit the hotel (into the streaming rain, I might add) and we walk about 17-100 meters to another building. The room (room 10) was located on the 3 floor (no elevator) and was definitely not recently refurbished. The bar holding the curtains was almost coming of the wall, the remote of the tiny wall mounted TV was nowhere to be found, the plug of the bedside lamp, didn't fit the socket. The mattress was terribly soft and the pillow thick and hard. Worst of all was the bathroom, with no curtains, but instead a window where some of the view-blocking plastic had been pealed off, leaving one in full few of any potential neighbors while on the toilet or in the shower. As a woman traveling alone, I felt very insecure in the this room, there is no security or any staff present in this building and the whole place just looks shabby.
I complained with staff and tried to change rooms immediately, but was told the hotel was fully booked, although my reservation clearly stated the Tophams Belgravia hotel and not the dependance I was brought to. Luckily, I was moved into the hotel the next night and that room was fine (up to expectations). Breakfast is quite poor, the continental breakfast is as bare as it can be. In summary, if you have to stay in this hotel, make sure you can stay in the hotel part and hopefully your experience won't be so bad as mine.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank Esther0101
Paris
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2012

I was booked in here for a work trip. The first room that they put me into resembled something like a student room - tiny, not particularly clean, a plastic bathroom with a leaking sink.

The 2nd night I changed rooms - I had a choice of 2 rooms, one with a faulty bathroom light or one where they only had the master key.... Both were better than the first but still pretty awful. I was kept awake all night by the hotel people trying to unblock the toilet in the room next door. The bathroom window wouldn't close. The toilet had fallen off the wall so that every time you flushed it the noise from the cistern was terrible. Breakfast was at the Tophams - but pretty basic and you are not allowed to eat the cooked breakfast.

I would never stay here again and would not recommend anyone else to.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Brit-in-Paris
Stavanger, Norway
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2012

I did not book here, but at the Tophams Hotel nearby. I was instead sent here after check-in. This is a really bad practice that defeats the purpose of good websites like TripAdvisor.
Rooms are claustrophobic and the bathroom is a joke.

• Stayed April 2012
2 Thank Gianluca M
Cullompton, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2012

We booked the Belgravia Mews Hotel via Late Rooms so we could meet up with family prior to flying out on holiday. We were very pushed for time.

The room was reduced from £600-ish per night to £80 including breakfast as part of the deal hence we booked. Seemed like a very good deal however – key points for us were:

Reception is located the Hotel next door where we were met by efficient staff and the adjoining restaurant seemed very to be very popular.

We were shown to our room about 50m down the street.

The first thing about the room was the overpowering stale smell and badly stained carpet in the room. The bed appeared to be clean.

The tap in the bathroom (small wet room cubicle) was broken and got sprayed by the shower (no way of tuning it off)
The light in bathroom flickered on and off and was partly hanging off its mounting (safety hazard?)
What furniture / room fittings there were were broken
Walls were marked stained as was the paintwork
Big damp / mildew patch on the ceiling
Door handle on the outside of the room was loose. I had to screw it back on my my fingers to stop it coming off in my hand
We had a very early start and so did not bother with breakfast
On the plus side:
Location is good, about 200m from Victoria stations (bus / rail / tube)
The bed was clean and did provide a good nights sleep

This isn't the best deal we've had from late rooms. It is difficult to see how the original price shown when we booked could be justified.

Would not recommend this hotel and will not be using it again.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank RV4Pilot
Bexhill-on-Sea, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2012

Difficult review this one as we booked this hotel up hurriedly on the way to London staying that night via late rooms then read the reviews. Oh dear we thought and started to panic rang late rooms back up to say hopefully we could cancel due to the negative reviews they have had. Lateroom's got straight onto the case but called back five minutes later to ask that the manager was not in until tomorrow so we MAY end up paying even if we didn't stay. So I blamed the poor old husband and he took the ear bashing. We went and had a great day out then decided to check in to see what we had let ourselves in for.
Firstly we arrived to see a notice on the front door to check in at Tophams Hotel no 28 instead of No 50 which annoyed me as we had walked back and lets face was this place was never going to stand a chance especially as when we walked into Tophams what a lovely bright, clean and shiny reception, so we negatively checked in for Belgravia Mews then to be told that Tophams was not fully booked so they had upgraded us to for the same price, I honestly saw my husband's shoulders lift about a foot with relief so went happily to our room No 4 which was in the basement opened the door and got a really pleasant surprise considering what we thought we would be getting!! then on closer inspection......
there was a really bad odour of damp/drains in the room, the shower lights were not working, a HUGH bath but the shower attachment would only work with the bath taps on, sealing and grouting missing in the bathroom, chips on the woodwork and the carpet could have done with a good clean, the mattress was so soft you sunk in the middle and then the air conditioning seemed to have a mind of its own.
However remember we got this at a bargain price of £62.16 including breakfast so should we be complaining probably not!
The next morning we remember the clonking noise as people walked through the reception area above but we had things to do so didn’t want a lay in (good job really). We also then noticed no milk or English tea in the hospitality tray so ventured to breakfast.
English breakfast luckily for us was included in the price although again I think this was because we had been upgraded as I heard someone enquire if they could have a cooked breakfast. The waitress obviously says yes but it was £19.95, thank goodness she declined. The breakfast was buffet style and when I got there they had run out of eggs and bacon, the rest was all being kept warm under not very efficient chaffing tins. The Danish pastries were excellent though so probably best to stick to continental breakfast.
Summary: We did well in the end for £62.16 in the middle of London and were grateful for the upgrade despite the maintenance issues. The reason why I am publishing this on both hotels is to warn others not to pay TOO much for the Topham’s hotel as it does have its downfalls and perhaps try and get an upgrade if you are staying at Belgravia Mews which we could not fault as we did not stay there.
All staff were polite but when we pointed out the smell issue not much notice was taken so overall ok but wouldn’t pay over the top for this hotel.

Room Tip: Perhaps not in the basement but apparently the rooms are smaller upstairs
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple