See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed February 15, 2017

The location of this hostel, 5 minutes walk from South Kensington tube station is amazing. However, as I guess you should expect from a cheap hostel in central London it was very basic. At least everything was mostly clean and it was a quieter street so I slept quite well.
Some of the bunk beds did not have ladders on them which was strange.
The breakfast room was too small for the size of the hostel, some mornings we had to eat standing up. The breakfast food itself was very basic: corn flakes and muesli with just whole milk and white bread toast with jam or margarine. But for the amount we paid I could live with that. The lady who served breakfast also spoke no English.
It was the bathrooms that really let it down. First of all they were only just about clean and there were only two for at least 12 beds (could have been more beds around the corner). The water pressure in the showers was almost non-existent, you really struggled to clean yourself under the tiny flow and it was hardly warm water. In fact it was so bad that after our running race on Saturday we went round and showered at a friends hotel.
For one night this place is fine but I wouldn't recommend staying longer.

• Stayed: February 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed November 30, 2016

Before arriving and being this my 2nd time in this hostel, I requested by e-mail to be accommodated in a 6-bed room as was booked.
The first time I had to cut my stay short (from 9 to 2 nights) because in a period of 2 nights I was placed in 3 different rooms and all of them with 8 beds, not 6. The premise (and promise) was that not all 8 beds were going to be occupied, which was a LIE!
After all, I am booking a bedroom based on the number of beds, not on the number of occupied beds.
Anyway, 2nd time around and I was placed in a 7-bed room, again NOT 6 as booked.
After 10 days of stay and consulting with my roommates and 2 receptionists, it was brought to my attention that the difference in my favour was £ 20, which I claimed 3 times before and during check-out.
Once even when I was asked by a receptionist to change the room's light bulb which had been broken for around 10 hours with no action from the staff after 3 requests from 3 different people.
At check-out, impolite manager Eres/Ares (however it's spelled) said that I should have come there earlier (as if this was my 1st time or my 1st stay!!). His argument was that sometimes people are in a 6-bed room and it's just them in it... Completely senseless!! Even if the room is basically empty, 1 person would only occupy 1 bed. Plain common sense.
Either way, it's the hostel's risk whether all the beds are taken or not. Their lack of marketing should not be put on the guests. He was not willing to take my claim as valid and suggested that I speak to Booking.com. He would not even look me in the eyes when I was talking to him. In his mind, a 6-bed room is the same as an 8-bed room occupied by 6 people, which is mostly never the case being London such a busy destination.
This brought an already unpleasant stay to an even worst stage.
Over the place itself, the rooms and public areas have a dirty and old look and feeling. Carpets, beds, pillows and bed linen seem to be post WWII and hardly ever washed.
Some of my roommates that have been staying there for 2+ months even told me that they saw mice, rats and fleas in the facilities.
Furthermore, when you approach some (not all) of the staff members, they look at you as if you were bothering them, distracting them from their "social media time" and their English is very questionable.
The breakfast consists of white bread, that can be toasted by the staff on request, corn flakes, milk, butter, strawberry jam, instant coffee, cocoa powder and tea. Very very basic.
Breakfast is supposed to be served from 7:30 am to 9:30 am, but there were times in which it was 7:30 am and the staff was running out to the supermarket to get supplies. They happened to be unprepared in several occasions. The staff would just disappear assuming that you knew what was going on and left you to it with no apparent explanation. Perhaps, they do not know how to explain what's going on due to the language barrier.
As every other room in the hostel, the kitchen was very small and at moments, it gets very crowded and you have to wait in line to eat. There are only 16 seating places in an establishment that claims to have 20 rooms with multiple occupancy. Very very packed!
Moreover, the kitchen is located in the basement, which doesn't give you a safe feeling in case of fire, considering how narrow the stairs to get there are. Also, when people are cooking, you can smell it on the 4th floor. Ventilation is poor.
On the smell subject, there is a small patio next to the kitchen accessible only by the staff and when they smoke there, you can also smell it on the floors.
The bathrooms are tiny and not well maintained. They are probably cleaned once a day. If the toilet paper is finished, you have to wait until the next time the toilet is cleaned or go take it from another floor.
Water pressure does not exist as you go up in the building and some bathrooms are moulded and become ponds after people shower.
Wifi only reaches the Reception and kitchen. In the evening, you will find 3-5 people taking turns on the stairs outside of the Reception trying to get some very slow and intermittent Internet. Don't expect to have Wifi in your room.
Overall, poor quality with even poorer and rude management! No leadership at all.
I am definitely not coming back here and would suggest that you don't come either and if you have a reservation, cancel it!

Room Tip: Avoid this hostel at all cost
  • Stayed: November 2016, travelled solo
1  Thank Gabriela R
Reviewed November 3, 2016 via mobile

Unlike most places to stay in London there are no toilets and showers in the rooms. Toilets are shared by 1 or 2 floors of rooms and the toilet one flight of stairs from me was unusable because the lock was broken. The carpets are hideous and unclean. It's not obvious if the sheets are clean. They look old and domestic. There is no tea or coffee facilities. Don't expect a warm welcome. I can honestly say it was the most unclean hotel room I've ever stayed in. The mirror and wardrobe was cracked and unusable. No soap is provided. 2 showers shared between all hotel guests. On the plus side the location is great for South Ken.

Stayed: November 2016, travelled on business
Reviewed October 7, 2016

I turned up late and the staff were very welcoming. The room was basic but adequate - value for money paid. The most unfortunate things was the breakfast are/kitchen. three tables, no milk, had to wait for it to arrive, warm bread rather than toast and cereals. I believe it would be better to not offer breakfast rather than leave people disappointed. Once again, staff and location were great

Room Tip: remember they do not supply towels
  • Stayed: October 2016, travelled solo
Reviewed September 25, 2016

I had to ask couple times to receive what I had paid for. There was no internet at all in my room, but it supposed to be. It seems that nobody had it because there are many people sitting in the corridor at the ground floor with their laptops and phones. There is no proper place to sit and use internet. The reception where there are sofas is closed at midnight and every time when the receptionists leave the place - sometimes even for 20 minutes - and people have to wait.
It is also a lie that there is a kitchen you can use. After breakfast all of the cups, plates, and cutlery are taken to the storage and nobody can access it except for the receptionist. There is neither sugar or salt that you can use if you want to prepare youself some food, or even a tea!

Room Tip: I booked a room for two people and I was placed, without asking, in a room with 3 bunk-beds. I had to sleep on the top bed because it is impossible even to sit at the lower bed. It is neither possible to sit anywhere to dress yourself because you cannot either sit on the lower bed nor on the chair, because there is not a single chair in the room. There are rooms in the basement, but also the room on the groundfloor has a bad view from the window - to the other building next to and a dirty place between the two buildings. The shared toiled is not only to 2 rooms, are it is usually in other hostels, but almost to everybody. On the first floor there is one toilet for 5 rooms! And God knows how many people there are in one room.
  • Stayed: September 2016, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with BudgetPlaces