“Very nice” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #18 of 828 Speciality Lodging in London
mallow cork
“Very nice”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2012

nice location-5 min walk from tube station-rooms were fabulous-beds were really comfortable-flat screen tv in each room-games room-hot food-vending machine-great selection for breakfast

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (168)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Cork, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2012

I recently stayed with a group of my teenage students in the W14 Hotel. I found them online, booked it and then checked trip advisor...I was horrified by what I read and was worried about what we would find when we arrived. I shouldn't have worried!
We booked 2 quad rooms, 2 triple rooms and 1 twin room. All rooms were spotlessly clean with fresh pressed linen and complimentary towels. All had flat screen tv's and were ensuite. Since it was minus 3 degrees at the time I am delighted to say the hostel was very warm and comfortable. The common areas were perfect with a bar & restaurant serving very affordable meals for students and a big spacious games room. There was also a fantastic decked outside area. Breakfast consisted of juice, a few options of cereals, toast, tea, coffee and hot chocolate and was presented in a clean dinning room. The hostel was very quiet and safe. I can not reccommend this hostel enough for basic, clean, comfortable, safe accomodation in a very central location with very helpful staff. I big thumbs up from my group!

Room Tip: I reccommend a private room. It is worth it knowing that they are safe with their own bathrooms and...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank KathyK996
Zurich, Switzerland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 January 2012

Good:
+ fast reservation
+ fast service at reception desk
+ prices are ok (for small rooms)

Bad:
- reserved for a triple room but got quad room for 1st day and a double room for 2nd day
- no phone in rooms so hotel employee just opened the apartment door while I was asleep at 08:30am and knocked on the bedroom door permanently till I got up and told me that I have to leave the room till 10:00am...
- my room wasn't cleaned very well

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Hinuleus
Liverpool, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2012

... but without the luxury of a Rita Hayworth poster. Or indeed any furnishings to provide the room guest with a sense of 'comfort'.

Arrived after hours of travelling to be led down what looked like a small storage access corridor to a room which was more akin to a prison cell than somewhere you would pay money to stop over in. Was immediately greeted by the smell of paint and a narrow room, the most basic bunkbed set-up you can imagine, and a delightful window at the other end with bars on it. Yes, bars. Other furnishings included a radiator and totally pointless school hall lockers. And that was it, really.

The room was obviously originally a storage room and to be honest it still felt like I was staying in one. In fact my suspitions were confirmed when I found out in the early hours of the morning that the one next to mine WAS another storage room when the inconsiderate staff started dragging supplies and cleaning equipment at God knows what time of the morning out of it (felt like 7am - didn't care to look). Previous to this, I was awoken at 3.30am by the staff badgering the girls in the next room after they had literally just arrived back from a night out - for money to cover another 'bed'. Why they couldn't do this first thing in the morning after they had had their sleep only they have the Da Vinci Code-esque answer to...

To add to an ever growing list of possible-sleep-opportunity interruptions, I was very rudely awoken by another guest being introduced to my 'cell' at approx. an hour after the previous interruption which totally took me by surprise, bearing in mind at this point it was about 4.30am - 5am, and I had not been given ANY prior warning that this might happen. Customer service and home comforts at their very best? Errr... no.

I was quite tempted on my one night stay there to go out and cause trouble with the local fuzz (the police) to get a room upgrade - in other words, an actual prison cell: with more facilities!

Room Tip: Don't bother. Probably a better night's sleep on the bench at the train station.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank Marcus C
Madrid, Spain
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2011

The room I got was very small and there wasn't any wardrobe, cupboard or drawer at all to put any cloths or belongings. The window of the bathroom was blocked and i couldn't close it, it was really cold. Wifi in the room wasn't working, i could just get some poor network from public areas (bar downstairs). I would say that this hotel can suit you just on a bag-packers trip. Staff is not very helpful. Breakfast is just toasts (butter and jam) and cereals, don't expect any fancy food - you always get the same menu.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
Adelaide, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2011

People at reception were really nice but they told us they had an electrical fault the past few days and they would have to change our rooms. No elevator so we had to drag our heavy luggage up 3 sets of stairs. The room was no bigger than a shoe box, you had to walk sideways in between the bed and the wall to get to the other side. No bathroom. Not enough room for our luggage to sit anywhere in the room. Outside the hotel were people smoking marijuana which came through up to our window. We ended up getting a refund and finding somewhere else.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank KRose2
General M, Manager at The W14 Kensington, responded to this review, 22 November 2011
Dear Sir / Madam

We at The W14 Hotel is naturally distressed by such negative reaction of your of stay (which apparently you didn't even stay) reviewed on Tripadvisor.com, but very much appreciate your time and troubles to appraise us. I perfectly understand and would like to tell you a little about the circumstances involved.

We do apologies for the discomfort during your stay.We have tried to pull out all the information but we cannot find any refunds made from our receptionist nor do we find any more information for a room that size.

Please advise your visit details with The W14 hotel in order to investigate the matter as well as we would like to find out what has been missed in our service.

We would like you to accept our deep regrets and apologies for any unpleasantness you had suffered. Please email us directly if you wish on gm@thew14hotel.co.uk
Manchester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2011

I was telephoned after arriving in London to be told by staff at the hotel they had to give my room away to someone else. I insisted they must find me something else as I had already paid a deposit. The caller was rude and hung up saying leave it with me. I arrived and paid £60 for a double room. I opened the door with a key (not a keycard), to bunkbeds, barely any room to move, curtains were rags nailed over the window, no tv, no kettle, no toilet, no shower, no hanging space, not even a bar of soap.
I had been in London for surgery and didnt have the energy to dispute at the time. I booked the hotel through TravelStay and complained through them. They have not published my feedback and weeks later the manager still has not called back.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business