“Shaabby and uncared for.”

LSE Rosebery Hall Residence
Ranked #698 of 1,069 Hotels in London
cambridge
“Shaabby and uncared for.”
Reviewed 14 April 2012

My wife and I stayed in the LSE’s Rosebury Avenue property for one night 13/04/12. We knew that for £59.95 it would be pretty basic so we were’nt expected anything special. The building was nice from the outside and well located for the Angel Islington. Staff on reception were friendly and professional. Then we opened the door to room 515. We were immediately greeted by a damp musty smell. Inside the tiny room there were two very small single beds. A shabby little wardrobe, the door handle came off in my hand when I tried to open it; any old desk, any old shelves; and a sink with a damaged chip board surround. The decor was depressingly dark and an awful colour. When I lay on the bed I could see signs above my head where someone had washed the ceiling, apparently taking some of the paint with it. There was no shower or toilet facilities in the room, to be expected for that price; no tea or coffee making facilities, there was a shared kitchen for those who’d brought their own cups. No TV in the room, again not expected. We decided to leave the window open while we went out for the evening to try to get the smell out of the room. It didn’t work. The smell came back as soon as we closed it again to try to reduce the traffic noise. The noise was a little bit less intrusive, but I have to say it was the least effective double glazing I’ve ever tried to sleep with. I was still awake at 1.30 am when some drunk people started speaking very loudly and swearing in the shared kitchen. My impression was that they were swearing at someone who had asked them to be less noisy. At breakfast the next day we heard similar stories from other guests. In one case noisy drunks at 4am, in another a party in the room below. Similar stories of tiny, uncared for rooms.
I think the management of this accommodation should be ashamed of themselves. To think that they expect our sons and daughters to live in this standard of student accommodation is a disgrace. A little bit of care and attention could at least make the tiny little room a bit less depressing for two people to spend significant lengths of time in. Personally, I will never stay with the LSE again. It was the worst B&B experience I’ve ever had. My wife and I were exhausted by the time we got home and slept part of the following day to catch up with lost sleep. Having said that, I want to make it clear that I have no complaints about the day to day staff and the breakfast was good. I did mention the smell to a woman on reception and she said she would report that to her boss.

Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank jayanatha
LSEVacations, Manager at LSE Rosebery Hall Residence, responded to this review, 3 May 2012
Further to our correspondence we have investigated the issues here. We would like to thank you for your open, candid and constructive comments. We try very hard to provide the best service possible and where we do not achieve this our goal is to learn from our mistakes.

We have been unable to locate the source of the musty smell in room 515. Your report was taken on board on the day and the room was thoroughly cleaned following your departure. However, we fully appreciate that we should have dealt with the problem more pro-actively during your stay, and we should have not let the room in that condition in the first place.

Room 515 has not been refurbished recently and we appreciate that the furniture and décor are now a little tired. Hopefully you will have noticed though that we are starting to upgrade facilities in the residence (such as the bathrooms) and we are planning to work on the condition of the rooms themselves soon. We have tried to set our prices with this in mind and Rosebery is usually the least expensive of our residences.

During term time this room is occupied by a single student. We add the extra bed into the room during the commercial periods only. This is why we describe the room as a ‘economy.' In light of your comments however we have changed this description to ‘small’. We completely agree that this room would be too small for two students staying for an academic year.

The windows in Rosebery have recently been replaced so we would certainly hope that they were more effective than you describe. We have asked our maintenance team to investigate the window in 515 and pass any issues onto the manufacturer so that they can be resolved.

Noise from other guests can sometimes be something of an issue. However we appreciate that nothing is worse than being woken up in the middle of the night, and this is one of the reasons why we maintain 24 hour security cover. If noise is reported to the front desk then we will investigate immediately and aim to resolve the issue as quickly as possible. Reports can be made using the phone in the bedroom.

Finally, we are very pleased to hear that you found the team to be friendly and professional – I will be sure to pass these comments onto the team. I am also glad to hear that the breakfast was good.

Thank you again for taking the time to provide such detailed comments, it is very much appreciated and I hope that you can see how seriously we take these matters.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Huddersfield
Reviewed 3 April 2012

Staying in a student hall brought back many memories - it felt quite lonely to be one amongst groups of school children, foreigh tourists and resident students. It is very basic accommodation and feels like staying in a hostel with an odour of testosterone. However, my room was clean, there was a very good choice of breakfast items in the refrectory dinning hall, the security staff were very friendly and above all other factors it was extremley good value for London accommodation and in a very central location - 5 minutes bus journey from Kings Cross, 25mins from London Bridge and 30 from Waterloo. On my first night my key turned constantly and didn't work but when I told the secuity staff he moved me to another room. The biggest negative is sharing communal toilets and showers but if available some rooms are ensuite and the whole block is being renovated. If you want a bargain stay here but if you want any sort of luxury stay in a hotel.

Room Tip: If I considered LSE accmmodation again I would only do so if I had an ensuite.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
Thank you for your candid comments, we’re glad that the staff we’re able to resolve the issue with the lock so quickly and that you enjoyed the breakfast.
Chorley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 March 2012

At £36 per head for a twin, en-suite room with full English breakfast how can you go wrong?
Well, we didn't. It is student accommodation, so you shouldn't expect luxury: but the room was clean and perfectly adequate for our needs. The staff were very helpful,the area was safe and secure and the Clerkenwell area seemed to be a pleasant one, even at midnight on Saturday.
The breakfast was more than adequate, and the serving staff much more helpful than top price hotels we have used in the city centre.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Steve P
Thank you for your positive comments. We’re glad you enjoyed the breakfast and we’ll pass on your comments about the staff to the team. Clerkenwell is indeed a pleasant, if slightly undiscovered, area of London!
Amsterdam, The netherlands
Reviewed 27 March 2012

stayed her for a few nights in march 2012. THe accomodation is basic, but fine. I had a twin room alone. For me it was fine, it would have been a little crowed if you stay her with 2 people. Bathroom and toilets are in the hallway. These were kept clean. Breakfast was really good. Toast, coffee and such were unlimited. There was yoghurt, (good) croissants, fruit, egs and such, you could choose six of the unlimited items. Friendly staff, restaurants, tube station and cafe's nearby.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
Thank you for your positive feedback, and kind words about the team. We’re glad you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you again soon.
Canterbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 March 2012

I was only staying overnight, in residence halls when the students were away. Overall if you do not mind staying in some what tied decore, the use of communial toilets and showers then for the cost you can't go wrong. I paid the extra £2 for the breakfast, I wasn't expecting much, but got a full cooked English one. The halls are located near Angel underground station, a 10min walk at most. There is good security, and staff were helpful. Enjoy

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
Thank you for your open feedback, we’re glad that on the whole you enjoyed your stay.
UK
Reviewed 19 March 2012

We stayed during the Uni Easter holidays so on our corridor there were a few students left which was was a little noisy on Saturday night. Our room was a twin, which had two firm but comfortable beds, two desks, and a small shower/toilet room and overall was clean and tidy. At the end of the corridor there was a toilet with bath and a separate kitchen area (bring your own crokery/cutlery/pans as these are not provided). Also bring a hairdryer if you need one. We had breakfast included in our rate which allowed 6 items from cooked/continental breakfasts plus tea, coffee, juice and toast and this represented excellent value for money. There are very good transport links including bus and tube connections closeby. The people on reception were very friendly too.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank scienceladyuk
Belgrade, Serbia
Reviewed 11 January 2012

Rosebery Hall is a great place to stay in London if you're on a budget. It is located in a good area with easy links to the West-End and only a five-minute walk to the Angel tube station. This is a student accommodation, so rooms are basic but clean. The staff were extremely helpful and welcoming. The only problem is the Wi-Fi in the dining hall, which is very, very slow and does not work most of the times.

Room Tip: Chose a new wing.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank demimcgovern
LSEVacations, Manager at LSE Rosebery Hall Residence, responded to this review, 23 February 2012
Thanks for the feedback, we’re glad to hear that on the whole you enjoyed your stay. We’ve taken the feedback about internet access on board and we’re looking into solutions, we realise our current provision is not ideal. The new wing is labelled as Myddelton on our website and the rooms are a touch more expensive due to their better facilities.