“Lovely, classy, affordable”

Ranked #226 of 1,069 Hotels in London
Brooklyn, New York
“Lovely, classy, affordable”
Reviewed 2 April 2012

I booked this place and when we got there my boyfriend kept saying "Are you sure?" He couldn't believe we could afford it on our UK budget. The room was clean, spacious, the bathroom was swanky. I didn't want to leave! We had no view, in fact our bedroom window looked out onto the train tracks and we weren't very high up. Somehow train noise never disturbed us, not once. The staff treated us like kings. Our air went out and they fixed it the next day, but also comped the night. We were just a stones throw from Westminster and Parliament. A lovely walk on the Thames.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank sarahfru
Gabriella_Kolber, Manager at Plaza on the River, responded to this review, 26 April 2012
Dear sarahfru,

Thank you for your positive comments about your recent stay at the hotel. It is comments like these that enable us to motivate our team to achieve greater heights.

Thank you once again, and I look forward to welcoming you back.

Kindest regards,
Assistant Resident Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (277)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Rogers, Arkansas
Reviewed 1 April 2012

These guys are fantastic. This was our first trip to London and this hotel is great. Johnathan at the front desk was awesome. I requested a view of the Big Ben and for a modest upgrade he gave us a unbelieveable view and experience. The location is excellent within walking distance to Westminister, Big Ben and the London Eye, plus the train station is nearby. We had the continential breakfeast with our vacation package at the hotel restaurant and the food was fresh and very good. The ladies were gracious and always had a smile on their faces. It reminded me of growing up in Mississippi.
Thank you folks for a wonderful experience!!!

Room Tip: Upgrade to an apartment with the view of Big Ben. Be careful taking the Tube during peak times on we...
3 Thank Garyrebel52
Plazaontheriver, Manager at Plaza on the River, responded to this review, 1 April 2012
Dear USA
Thank your your feedback and the time you took to write to us.
We are very glad that you had a great experience and do hope to welcome you back very soon.
Enjoy the rest of your week and do let me know when you visit London again.
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 31 March 2012

We stayed at the Plaza from March 10th through to the 19th. If you are looking for a comfortable hotel, within a taxi, bus or tube ride to central London (yet not pay for the high priced hotels), you should consider Plaza on the River. The staff is courteous, responsive, and very attentive to your needs. If you have a question and they cannot answer on the spot, rest assured you will hear from them within minutes with an answer. Our motivator for using Plaza on the River was the kitchen. We reserved a one bedroom suite on the ninth floor and had a Thames River view. I requested a view of Big Ben but the rooms were unfortunately sold out. I noticed from reading other posts that a free upgrade was offered at check-in but we did not receive one. No big deal really. Rooms are spacious for Europe, had a separate bedroom, family room with a pullout bed, washer/dryer, dishwasher, and two burner stove-top from Miele. There was a TV/DVD Player in the bedroom and family room which meant the adults and children could watch their own programs. There was a main Tesco store which was a cab ride away for major groceries and there was a very small convenience store just outside the hotel that carried a basic selection of groceries, wine, beer, munchies, etc.

If you are not adverse to walking, you can actually walk to Big Ben, The London Eye, and Westminster Abbey. If you are a foreigner, simply purchase a London Pass with a travel card. The travel card allows children to travel on the tube (subway) for free provided they are accompanied by a fare paying adult. The London Pass itself grants you access to the most major attractions for free.

During my stay I watched a Chelsea soccer match as the stadium was a 15 minute taxi drive from the hotel. I do plan to visit London to watch soccer matches in the future and will definitely consider Plaza on the River

Room Tip: Consider a high floor facing the Thames River
3 Thank Welltravelled1971
Dear Toronto
Thank your your feedback and the time you took to write to us.
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 March 2012

I was recently lucky enough to stay at the Plaza on the River (part of the Park Plaza Riverbank in London) and I have to say it was amazing. Everything you could want from a hotel stay. The room I had was in fact a two room, two bed apartment. Luxury through and through. I stay in london every week and this is the only hotel I have wanted to review.
Staff very friendly and helpful too ... strong recommended.

Room Tip: Look on line as they often have specials on the their website for the room that work out cheaper tha...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank LouGrahamII
Dear LouGrahamII,

It's always my pleasure to read such wonderful feedback and when you decide to re-visit please do let me know so I can welcome you in person.

somerset
Reviewed 30 March 2012

Everything was lovely, the room, the prompt in room service, the bar, the views all perfect

What really let the hotel down was the absolutely inedible breakfast.
We ordered full english breakfasts and one veggie in our room. The hash browns and bacon were rock hard and full of oil, the bacon hard and brittle. the poached eggs were hard and the smell of malt vinegar was terrible. The tomatoes were not cooked at all, hard and cold and the mushrooms tinned and boiled. The orange juice tasted sharp like battery acid. There was nothing on the plate we could eat.

We informed the receptionist whilst checking out. She just said sorry and carried on charging us on our mini bar bill. Nothing has been said since. This is the second negative experience with this group, beginining to wonder whether it is common practise. Perhaps we shall spend our money elsewhere in future !

Room Tip: do not attempt the breakfast - it is inedible
3 Thank cherylsuesomerset
Dear Somerset,
Thank you very much for your email and we are very please to read your comments with regards your last stay with us.
I will ensure to follow up with my Room Service Team to find out what the reasons were for your experience.
Feel free to contact us in the near future if you decide to return.
Sutton, Surrey
Reviewed 29 March 2012

This hotel is absolutely lovely. From the moment we arrived, the staff were friendly and went out their way for you, the suite we stayed in was beautiful, the food was gorgeous and good sized portions. The bar serves excellent Cocktails!! Would definitely visit again some time in the future.

Mr and Mrs Vince
Sutton Surrey

Room Tip: The suite was gorgeous, lovely views, brilliant.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank KarenVSutton
Dear Surrey.
West Glamorgan, Wales
Reviewed 27 March 2012

Booked this for a weekend break. We opted for a suite with a balcony and River Thames views, and were given an excellent room on the 5th floor with stunning views to Parliament and Big Ben. I was assured we could check in at 2pm, however, to be safe we arrived at 2.45pm. The receptionist informed us the room was not ready as had been assured and to return a few hours later. She had made no call at this point to check, so I asked her to. when she tried to call housekeeping, she hung up and told me the line was busy and *shrugged*. She then informed me that I could use a toilet if I wanted to change. At that point the red shutters came down. I can understand that sometimes rooms are not ready, but when you check and when a receptionist can't even reach housekeeping before pointing you to the loos - that is crap service. Fortunately, another staff member intervened and called housekeeping a radical second time. The room, in fact, was ready. However... asthmatics - this is not the place for you. It had been sprayed with something that saw me immediately have an attack and have to take medication. It actually took me abour four days to get over whatver they had sprayed. final complaint (ok, I am being negative, but these are key points), I had made the booking directly with the hotel and added breakfast on. we decided not to have breakfast at the hotel restaurant) and informed the hotel (we had spent just over £100 room service - including champagne). When we checked out, they refused to take it off the bill saying it was part of the package rate. I am writing to them, and our credit card provider, separately on this. Overall, if you pay for a suite with a balcony and a good view they are the plus points, hence 3/5 solely for the view. We didn't try the Latino/Asian restaurant which did not appeal at all (apparently a Latin bar and a Chinese/Japanese menu with just a few options for each course). Room service was not good 2/5. next time we go to London we'll stay north side of the Thames at the Savoy or Ritz. we may not get the same view, but i know we'll get the service and good foob as befitting a five star property.

Room Tip: Specifially ask for one that faces to Parliament and Big Ben. The hotel is built at different andgle...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Cocoa321
Gabriella_Kolber, Manager at Plaza on the River, responded to this review, 14 May 2012
Dear Cocoa321,

Firstly may I take this opportunity to apologize on behalf of the entire Plaza on the River Club and Residence for the inconvenienced caused regarding recent reservation with us.
The observations of our guests are of paramount importance to us therefore your comments have been forwarded to the relevant departments.

I would like assure that this is not the service we pride ourselves on and I would like to thank you bringing it to our attention. It is due to feedback from our guests that we are able to review areas of our service that might require attention.

Should you return to our hotel, please feel free to contact me directly so I can contact Housekeeping beforehand not to use sprays/strong chemicals when cleaning you room.

I truly hope that this incident will not discourage you from choosing to stay with Plaza on the River in the near future.

Kind regards,