“Excellent hotel, a bit out of the way.”

Plaza on the River - Club and Residence
Ranked #211 of 1,088 Hotels in London
Adelaide, Australia
“Excellent hotel, a bit out of the way.”
Reviewed 6 May 2012 via mobile

Booked on the stength of Trip Advisor reviews, and was not disappointed. We arrived early (from South Africa) and they had our suite ready for us at 7.30am! Staff were most helpful, breakfast was superb, (probably best eggs florentine ever!!!). Everything was spotlessly clean, even to the extent of smelling a little chemical! Fitness centre was good. Only downside was it was a bit of a hike to the theatre district, which we did every night. There is not a lot of restaurants, bars, cafes etc in the neighborhood and you are at least 10 min walk from an Underground. Apart from that, it was perfect!

• Stayed May 2012
3 Thank WallysMissus
Gabriella_Kolber, Manager at Plaza on the River - Club and Residence, responded to this review, 14 May 2012
Dear LouiseWalters,

I would like to thank you for your lovely comments on Tripadvisor. It always gives me great pleasure to share these with the team and departments mentioned at our morning briefings. I will make sure that your comment is forwarded to the Chef as well.

Please feel free to contact myself or the Concierge Team prior to your next visit or during your next stay to help you with directions getting around London.

I hope you will be keeping us in mind for your future travel destinations and I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Warm regards,
Assistant Resident Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (260)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Haugesund, Norway
Reviewed 25 April 2012

I stay here as often as I can (and I do spend 6 to 8 weeks in London per year). The rooms are really apartments, with a fridge, stove, washing machine and dishwasher. There is no carpeting, which I prefer. The staff deserve a special mention, as they are very helpful and friendly. I tend to get upgrades because of my carlton club membership, so usually I have a 2-room suite. This is really my home-away-from-home.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank hawk6337
Dear hawk6337,

Thank you very much for your loyalty toward our hotel.

I was happy to read that you can call our hotel as a second home.

I am looking forward welcoming back on your next business trip when hopefully I can meet you personally to thank you for your comments.

southampton
Reviewed 16 April 2012

I have stayed at this hotel twice now and have not been disappointed. The staff are very friendly and attentive, the hotel is clean and the views fantastic from our one bedroom apartment.

This hotel has fantastic views of the Houses of Parliament and is ideally sitauted for within walking distance of most attactions. The service was good and not too in your face and breakfast was also good. Would definitely recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: If you get the chance get a one bedroom apartment with balcony.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank tracyallen
Gabriella_Kolber, Manager at Plaza on the River - Club and Residence, responded to this review, 26 April 2012
Dear traceyallen,

Thank you very much for your loyalty and your return business at Plaza on the River Club and Residence.
We are delighted to hear that your second visit was enjoyable and you had a great, relaxing time.

I hope we can welcome you back in the near future.

Feel free to contact me if you decide to return to Plaza on the River Club and Residence.

Chicago
Reviewed 10 April 2012

This was my 1st trip to London and we enjoyed our stay in your hotel.
Rooms very spacious.Food and Staff excellent..
Location great near Big Ben London Eye and Westminister.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Joseph P M
Dear Joseph P M,

Thank you so much for your review following your stay.

We were proud that you had chosen the Plaza on the River Club and Residence for your visit to London. We would like to thank you for your fantastic comments on the staff and the hotel. It was a pleasure to look after you and I have shared your great feedback with the team.

We look forward to welcoming you back, hopefully in the near future.

Buxton
Reviewed 8 April 2012

This was the perfect hotel for a family trip to London due to the location and quality of the hotel. It is situated 5 minutes away from Vauxhall station on foot, and is a perfect base to explore London from. We walked from the hotel up to Buckingham Palace, past Westminster and it was very pleasant.
We booked a one bedroom suite as we felt this would be more spacious for us and our teenage son, and it was perfect! However, the room we were given had no views what so ever, but after a quick phone call to reception we were moved to the top floor with views onto the river Thames (but the opposite direction to Westminster) which was much more acceptable. There was no fuss or awkwardness caused by this request, which we were very grateful for. The new room felt more spacious due to the amount of daylight streaming in through both windows.
All facilities were excellent quality, although we did not make full use of them as we had booked breakfast for both days, but there was a dishwasher, coffee machine (Nespresso), microwave, fridge and even a washing machine. The main bed was really comfortable, and good quality natural pillows was a very nice touch. Both nights were extremely comfortable in the main bedroom, however the sofa bed was not so good. This was soon put right by the staff when I told them about it, which we were very pleased about. Only down side was the noise, but we accept that a hotel in a city will always be affected by this. However, we did hear other guests on the second night arguing which was a little unpleasant, and obviously cannot be helped unless the walls and floors were better insulated.
The bathroom was spotlessly clean, modern and beautifully designed, with a very large walk in shower and a separate bath.
We had dinner on the second night in Chino Latino after our complimentary cocktails! (for all three - a special non-alcoholic cocktail was even given to our son who very much enjoyed it!). All food was perfectly presented and the service was extremely efficient. Lovely to sit eating lovely food overlooking the river and Big Ben!
Breakfast was possibly the best we have ever had, in terms of quality, service and choice. The first morning we had the full English, served to our table with a choice of eggs (and given 2!) which was perfectly cooked. The continental breakfast, also was lovely - such a choice of pastries, meat, cheese and cereals and fresh fruit and yogurt - delicious! The only negative was the tea that was served from a jug carried round by a waiter, which was weak, luke warm and tasted foul. Why not provide teapots with fresh tea?! However, there is a choice of latte, and hot chocolate which we tried and were very happy with.
All in all, we thoroughly enjoyed our stay, all staff very courteous and welcoming.

Room Tip: Choose a room with an exterior view if you are visiting to enjoy the location.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank Michelle C
Dear greenjanine,

Thank you very much for your email and we are very please to read your comments with regards your last stay with us.

I will ensure to follow up with our Breakfast Team to find more information about the quality of the tea which was not up to our standard.

Feel free to contact us in the near future if you decide to return.

Kindest Regards,
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 April 2012

We stayed for one night only. When we left, we were happy to leave. The quick sequence:

At the arrival we carried our luggage on our own from the taxi to the checkin desk. Bell boys around were to busy talking amongst themselves to give us a hand with our luggage, even worst considering we were carrying our baby girl as well. When we got to the desk, we were then told that the check in for our flat was at the other far end of the hall. So, let me be clear: the four star hotel has a row of 4 check in desks and the 5 star apartments has one checkin desk. Again, we walked and carried our luggage to the other desk. There were enough staff there to carry us altogether... and of course, we had to wait for checking in. Checking in was alright, with the girl behind the desk, clearly making an effort, but clearly untrained. The hotel got us a cot for our toddler, but the boy that came to put the cot together only brought us a sheet of linen; and considering the air conditioning was not warming up the room, we had to ask for a duvet. 20 minutes into our stay, we got interrupted by one of the staff trying to enter the room, despite us having switched the "not disturb" sign.

The flat is large, but it's not ageing well. The carpet in the room looks dirty, although it had clearly been vacuumed. There are connecting doors to the flat next door that can be opened from the inside, but can't be locked. This caused a moment of embarrassment with our toddler opening the door at the same time the toddler next door had opened their door and started knocking at ours. When we called to report this we got maintenance staff to come to the room and tell us that they are working as they're supposed to be... we just need to keep our toddler away from the handle... it's all our fault then.

The hotel is noisy and the interior insulation is non existent. We could hear everything from the living room next door, and we could hear everything from the corridor.

When we left the following day, we got the last surprise. We wanted to change our toddler's nappy and having asked the bell boy, he pointed us to the lady's toilet. My wife had to change the baby on top of a piece of furniture.

We then had a cup of coffee and a cup of tea before departing. There were refurbishment works going on, so we just took a quiet corner. It took the bar 20 minutes to serve and best part of twenty minutes to charge the card. The waiter took our card away, came back with a card reader, which didn't work. She kept explaining that the bar used to be upstairs and they had just moved. This was embarrassing to say the least. And to top it all off, she was about to walk away with our card, clearly nervous and apologetic for the whole situation.

And this sums up our experience. It has everything to work, but it is very, very far from being a 5 star experience. The staff shows very profound lack of training, humility, service culture and attention to detail. I have a strong suspicion that the management is behind it all, as it was very clear the staff were making a huge effort...

Unfortunately, I don't think we'll be back, for leisure or business.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
6 Thank Nuno A
Dear Nuno A,
Thank you for taking the time to feedback on your experience at Plaza on the River – Club and Residence, London. Please be assured that I have personally investigated all of your comments with the relevant Heads of Departments, and relayed your feedback to them.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the misunderstanding upon arrival. Please kindly note that Plaza on the River Club and Residence is sharing the building with Park Plaza Riverbank Hotel. The designated check in area is located on your right hand side when entering via the main door.

From your feedback I noted the inconvenience you experienced upon arrival and the lack of assistance with your luggage. I have brought it to the attention of the Head Concierge to carry our investigation and take the necessary actions with his team and re-train them with an immediate effect.

With reference you your dining experience in the Thames room I have spoken to the Chino Latino Brasserie Manager who asked me to thank you for bringing this issue to our attention. I thorough re-training of customer service will be given to members of staff to ensure issues like your do not happen again.

Mr. Almeida, I would like to once again apologize for not providing you with the service that is commensurate with Plaza on the River Club and Residence. I would like to thank you for giving us the opportunity to review the areas of our service that needs attention.

I am aware that this was your first stay with us and I truly hope that his incident will not discourage you from choosing to stay with is in the future again. I trust you have received my personal e-mail sent to your e-mail address.

It is disappointing that I did not get the opportunity to meet you personally and discuss these issues with you before you left the Hotel and I do hope you will give us the opportunity to restore your trust in our Hotel.

Once again thank you for your comments, it is only when people such as yourself take the time and trouble to provide us with feedback that we are able to monitor and improve our performance and the service that we offer.

Kind regards,
Alderley Edge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 April 2012 via mobile

Stayed here in one of the one bedroom suites looking out towards the Houses of Parliament. Fantastic views, great quality feel. Overall the location is not as central as you might think and the drawback the weekend we stayed was that the Victoria line was closed for maintenance, which meant we had a brisk walk up to Westminster each time we went out. When the Victoria line is working Vauxhall is the nearest tube about 5-10 minutes walk away. Caught a taxi one evening from Waterloo which was only £6 so you have that option. Valet parking for your car works well at a price £26 per day, which for London is probably reasonable. You do get charged extra for the third person on a sofabed in the suites, even though we had made it clear there would be 3 people when booking.
Kitchen diner in the suite works well and allows you to take your own breakfast ingredients. Only thing that was wrong was that we reported the toaster as faulty and a member of staff removed it. Only thing was it wasn't replaced while we were there.
I would stay there again as the room quality was so much better than many places in London and the staff were excellent. Just need to be aware you are not in the main tourist area, but that in reality is not a bad thing!

Stayed March 2012
2 Thank Shentone
Dear Shentone,

Thank you very much for visiting Tripadvisor and taking the time sharing your feedback regarding your recent stay.

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us whilst visiting London.
With regards to your comment on the toaster provided in your room, I have informed our Executive Housekeeper who will follw it up with his team.

I look forward to welcoming you back when we perhaps meet personally.

Best wishes,