“What a nice place to stay and within 30 mins of getting to London”

Holiday Inn London - Elstree
Ranked #623 of 1,067 Hotels in London
Cheshire, United Kingdom
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,117 helpful votes
“What a nice place to stay and within 30 mins of getting to London”
Reviewed 12 December 2011

Stayed here a couple of times now nice food, great little gym and pool. It's a real nice place to say !!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
3 Thank RobsterWirral
GeneralManager065, General Manager at Holiday Inn London - Elstree, responded to this review, 15 December 2011
Dear Guest
I was delighted to read your positive review about this hotel on the Trip Advisor website. Thank you for taking the time and trouble post your comments and I am glad that you enjoyed your stay.

I will certainly share your feedback with the rest of the hotel team who all work very hard to ensure that every guest experience is comfortable and enjoyable.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Holiday Inn London Elstree in the furture, in the meantime Season's Greetings and my best wishes for a prosperous new year!

Kevin Fraser

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 November 2011

We only stayed one night but whenever we went to the reception, staff appeared from nowhere to help with any added numbers, same with the bar. They were helpful, plesent, effective and despite one young lady finishing at midnight and starting at 6am she wore just the same smile, credit to her (How she does that I don’t know)

Our room was excellent, I could not fault it, I had a fantastic sleep in a glorious bed.

One major Tip, I would not put you off this hotel at all but be careful with the breakfast. I’ve stayed with Holiday Inn many times in the past, one of the major attractions being the breakfast, it’s all changed.

I was at the reception to order a cab in the evening and someone next to me asked to buy 2 breakfasts coupons for the morning. This was weird, surly this doesn’t apply to me as I‘m a guest, the only time I’ve bought Breakfast coupons were at Greasy Steve’s Café and Haven Holidays. I enquired and apparently I had to pay £15 now for a coupon for 2 or (I think) £13.95 each in the morning if I wanted breakfast. This wasn’t mentioned whilst booking and it wasn’t mentioned whilst checking in. We paid the extra £15 and it wasn’t worth it anyway.

Top tip: If your room doesn’t include breakfast go to a Greasy Steve’s Café or, if you think you had breakfast included and they try to charge you £13.95 a head, it’s not worth it, don’t just think ’what the hell I’m here now, find a Café in Borehamwood and pay £4.50 each.

Otherwise: Stay here, highly recommended, nice people in a nice venue and nice rooms. Just make sure you are clued up before breakfast.

Room Tip: can't help here too much but we were at the rear and the front faces the A1 so I'd say go fo...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank John W
GeneralManager065, General Manager at Holiday Inn London - Elstree, responded to this review, 24 November 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you for leaving your review on Trip Advisor following your recent stay at this hotel.

The positive comments you left were a pleasure to read, particularly the ones regarding our team members, I believe I know which lady you are referring to and will make sure she is aware of how impressed you were. I will share all of your review with the whole team as it is encouraging for them to get to know when they get things right, they work so hard to acheive this.

Please accept my sincere apologies that reception did not fully explain your options for breakfast upon your arrival, I will take steps to ensure this does not happen again. We offer a choice of room only and breakfast inclusive rates and make the option of purchasing breakfast vouchers available to people who have chosen room only. Our reason for making it cheaper to purchase a voucher on arrival is so that chef can know how many he is catering for and therefore maintain his standards. £15.00 for a couple (£7.50 each) I think represents very good value for an 'all you can eat' hot and cold buffet breakfast particularly in comparison with the other 4 star hotels in the area. Of course, the option of staying on a room only basis gives our guests the full option of going out to eat if they wish.

Once again, thank you for taking the time and trouble to provide your constructive feedback, it is always interesting to read our reveiws and they are a useful way of helping us improve the service we offer to all of our guests.

If there is any way I may be of assistance to you or if you would like to discuss your reveiw in more detail please do not hesitate to contact either myself or my Operations Manager, Shae Walmsley directly.

Halifax, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 November 2011

We stayed at The Holiday Inn Elstree as part of a London weekend theatre break with a coach party. We expected the usual coach tour second class hotel but was pleasantly surprised at what we got. This hotel is first class and we would recommend it to anyone who seeks a good hotel at a reasonable price.The rooms were very clean warm and comfortable, the bathroom well appointed but as it is in close proximity to a busy road it could be a little noisy if windows were opened.The buffet breakfast offered a variety of different foods to satisfy even the pickiest of eaters and the only criticism is that it could have been a little hotter but nevertheless was enjoyable.We had an evening meal in the hotel which was a buffet carvery and once again this was superb.There was a large choice of options including Gammon, spicy chicken, shepherds pie and salmon plus potatoes and vegetables this was a three course meal with a starter of soup and a sweet afterwards.The hotel boasts a swimming pool and fitness centre where you can burn off all those extra calories after over indulging on the superb meals.We found all the staff welcoming and obliging and would like through this review to thank them all for their hospitality and professionalism.In conclusion this is a superb outer London hotel so if anyone reading this is about to visit London get it booked quick as it is very popular.

Room Tip: Rooms away from road side quieter
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank G D
GeneralManager065, General Manager at Holiday Inn London - Elstree, responded to this review, 18 November 2011
Dear Guest

Thank you for leaving you review on trip advisor following your recent weekend stay with us.

I am very glad that you enjoyed your stay and I will certainly pass on your thanks to the rest of the hotel team, they work very hard to ensure that guests have an enjoyable experience at the hotel and it is encouraging for them when they get positive feedback. I will also let the chefs know that you enjoyed your meals.

I hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Holiday Inn London-Elstree in the future.

Yours sinceely
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 2 November 2011

The hotel are staff are pleasant. The reception area was clean and well staffed. The room was small, but clean. The air con and heating worked very well. The products in the bathroom are horrible and cheap.

The bar area is ok, and the room service food passable. Breakfast was a good standard for a buffet, however at £14 per head is not good value. (go into Borehamwood)

The best hotel of the chains in this area of Borehamwood. shop around for the best rate.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank undercoverelephant
GeneralManager065, General Manager at Holiday Inn London - Elstree, responded to this review, 4 November 2011
Dear Guest

Thank you for leaving feedback on Tripadvisor following your recent stay at this hotel. I was pleased to read the positive comments you left, particularly about our hotel team who work very hard to ensure every guest enjoys their stay - I will certainly pass this on to the people who were on duty during your stay.

We do have a good value breakfast option which is available by purchasing a voucher from reception on check in. This is £15 per couple or £10 per single, I am very sorry that you were not made aware of this upon check-in (I will ensure the reception team are reminded to make all guests on room only rates aware of this offer). Also, a breakfast inclusive rate is normally available via the holiday inn website, we offer a lowest rate guarantee so no need to shop around.

We have not had any other negative comments about our in-room toiletries but I will certainly take your comments on board and review if necessary.

Once again, thank you for taking the time and trouble to review our hotel.
Stroud, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 October 2011

This hotel is very easy to find and in a quiet spot just off the M25.
We arrived quite late on a Friday night; it was quiet and calm, and easy to park.
Reception fine, room ok (a little old-fashioned perhaps).
Overall just great!

• Stayed October 2011
1 Thank keble6
GeneralManager065, General Manager at Holiday Inn London - Elstree, responded to this review, 19 October 2011
Dear Guest

Thank you for leaving feedback from your recent stay with us, it is always a interesting to read comments from our guests (especially when they are so positive).

Everyone in the hotel works very hard to ensure that all our guests have a positive, relaxing experience when they stay with us and it is extremely encouraging when someone tells us we are getting it right. I will certainly be sharing your comments with the rest of the hotel team.

Thank you once again staying at the Holiday Inn London-Elstree. I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back again in the future.

Newquay, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 October 2011

Stayed for 1 night for the first time at this hotel in midweek. It was really very quiet and unusually not many booked in it would seem.
I ate in the bar, food and drink fine but it was cold, heating should of been on I think. Room was clean and above usual standard for other Holiday Inns I have stayed in.
Breakfast was good too and staff were friendly and helpful
Overall my observation is that the place has no atmosphere at all.It feels as though noone else is staying there!
I would go back so don't think it is a poor hotel

Room Tip: I had room ar rear which was quiet. I would imagine rooms at front would suffer from road noise
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
Thank you for leaving feedback from your recent stay with us, it is always interesting to read feedback from our guests.

Our Hotel Team work very hard to ensure that all our guests have a great experience when they stay with us and it is extremely encouraging when someone tells us we are getting things right. I will certainly be sharing your positive comments with the rest of the hotel team.

I am sorry you felt that the lounge area was chilly, the heating is now on after the Indian Summer we were enjoying recently when it has been very difficult to judge when to switch the heat on! The days you stayed were particularly quiet with several groups who dined out in the evening meaning the public areas were quieter than usual.

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 21 September 2011

Holiday Inn gets top marks for comfort and service. Location from London is about 25mins by train which isnt half bad. The town of Elstree isnt half bad either.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with friends
GeneralManager065, General Manager at Holiday Inn London - Elstree, responded to this review, 26 September 2011
Dear Guest

Thank you for leaving feedback from your recent stay with us, it is always a pleasure to read positive comments from our guests.

Our Team Members work very hard to ensure that all our guests have a positive, relaxing experience when they stay with us and it is extremely encouraging when someone tells us they are giving us top marks for comfort and service! I will certainly be sharing your comments with the rest of the hotel team.