“The perfect place to stay!”

Montagu Place Hotel
Ranked #26 of 1,072 Hotels in London
Reviewed 27 February 2012

We have been to the Montagu Place Hotel in February and it is the perfect place to stay for a shopping and sightseeing trip to London. I can tell as I have been to this area in several hotels and the Montageu is far the best. I can also recommend it for Business Travellers as there is free WiFi access in the whole Hotel. The metrostartion is just around the corner and you can walk to Selfrides in max 5 minutes. All shops and a lot very nice small resturants are just aound the corner. The rooms are very quiet which is unusal in this area. I have to point out the staff as they have been the most friendly and proffessional I have ever met. Also the style of the hotel is what I would call the perfect Boutique Hotel - stylish but very cosy. The size of rooms are for London standards ok but might be small to someone who does not know that big rooms are unreasonable expensive...We had the standard room, but if you stay longer than a few days I would suggest to book one of the executive rooms.

1  Thank katkat-1983
Michal M, General Manager at Montagu Place Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 February 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your kind words about our hotel, location and staff. I am glad to read, that you were satisfied with the service we’ve provided you with.

I hope that all of your future stays with us will be at least as good as you recent.

There are newer reviews for Montagu Place Hotel

Reviewed 26 February 2012

We stayed here for our Wedding Anniversary, and stayed based on the price and great reviews on Trip Advisor. We were not disappointed!!

We arrived a couple of hours before check in and our room was ready for us - we had room 33 which was a comfy room on the top floor. Despite alot of reviews commenting on the comfy rooms being pretty small, we were very impressed. Double bed, desk, desk chair, arm chair, wardrobe, wall mounted tv and original fireplace in the room - and we had plenty of room to move around. Not sure if we had a large comfy room, but we were very happy! The decor was stylish, in muted mauves, chocolate browns and crisp white bedding. The bathroom was small, with a half bath and shower over, but was luxurious and spotless - no complaints!

The staff were very attentive and friendly and when we arrived brought us 2 glasses of champagne, as I had mentioned during booking that we were visiting for our anniversary - such a thoughtful treat that got our stay off to a wonderful start!

We chose not to have breakfast in the hotel, but walked through the breakfast area, and it looked lovely.

It's about a 10 minute walk to the Baker Street tube, and there are plenty of cafe's and restaurants nearby if you don't want to go too far to eat.

Tips on the local area:
We ate breakfast in Linda's Cafe which is on the main Baker Street opposite the Sherlock Holmes museum. Typical no frills cafe but if you're on a budget, as we were, provided excellent breakfasts at very cheap prices. A full veggie breakfast, 4 slices of toast and 2 teas for £7.
We ate twice in the Two Point Thai restaurant - the hotel have an agreement with the restaurant so you can order and eat from this restaurant in your hotel room. Based on this we decided to visit and are very pleased we did. Delicious food at reasonable prices, and the staff were excellent. I'm new to Thai cuisine, and the staff talked me through different dishes and the flavours and were happy to amend sauces to suit my palate - never known such good service!!

To conclude, I would have no hesitation in staying here again or recomending this hotel.

Room Tip: We were in a comfy room on the top floor - these are at the back of the hotel, so it's very quie...
1  Thank RachelandStephen
Michal M, General Manager at Montagu Place Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 February 2012

Dear Rachel and Stephen,

Thank you very much for taking time and writing review about our hotel.

I am glad that we managed to make your stay with us the right and special stay for your anniversary.

I look forward to be welcoming you back in our hotel on another occasion.

Reviewed 20 February 2012

We really enjoyed our three nights stay. The hotel is very nice and the staff are friendly and eager to please. We had breakfast as it was included in our booking deal. However, had we had to pay extra I would have been rather disappointed! I am quite happy with continental breakfasts, but as mentioned by a previous reviewer the jams, cheeses etc were all catering style pre-packed offerings! It would have been nice to have had the choice of some fresh British cheeses. One other negative - on the second evening I opened a bottle of the, thoughtfully provided, complimentary water and found it was the previous days empty which had been re-filled with tap water! I did report it and the lovely young man at reception was most apologetic and provided me with a replacement. I would put this down to, maybe, a little laziness on the part of whoever serviced our room that day

This does sound rather negative, but in fact we really enjoyed our stay and would return. The hotel is clean, comfortable and in an excellent location. The staff are friendly and eager to please. We stayed in a comfy room and it was plenty big enough for us.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
Michal M, General Manager at Montagu Place Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 February 2012

Dear Guests,

Thank you very much for your feedback. We do appreciate all your comments and we are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us.

Thank you also for your comments and suggestion regarding our breakfast. We will review all of your points to see how we can improve.

I can reassure you that the bottles are tamper proof and we do not by any means refill them, let alone with the tap water.

I am looking forward your next stay with us.

Reviewed 16 February 2012

Whilst having arranged for my folks to stay here when it first opened, my recent two nights here was the first time that I got to lay my head down myself.

Whilst prices have inevitably gone up since it opened, there's no denying that this remains one of the nicest boutique hotels in the capital. The small touches were evident throughout - a proper cafitiere in the room with biscuits and water, mid-size Molton Brown products and excellent linens. I think that I had the same room as the poster below and whilst it was very small, was cosy and perfectly adequate for me.

I too would advise against breakfast and head round the corner to Canteen as they do a decent eggs benedict and rhubarb compote for breakfast.

Service is charming and they could not do enough to help (even ducking out in the pouring rain to hail me a cab to the airport).

Now into the price bracket of some of the plush larger chains, but I would still make every effort to stay here when I am back.

Location is absolutely superb. Short walks to the park and to Oxford Street and very close to the superb Galvin de Luxe bistro.

Room Tip: Check their website - am confident it offers you the best prices and you can see incrementally how m...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank BartyCrouch
Reviewed 9 February 2012

I read that the rooms were small so booked a Swanky room and was glad I did as even this room was not overly large. It was well appointed, however, with complimentary water, fruit and tea and had both a bath and a shower (the bathroom could have used a few more towels though).

The location is great--a short cab ride from Paddington and close to Baker Street and its tube stop. The staff are incredibly nice, warm and helpful but they are from outside the UK so English skills and local knowledge vary.

The reception area doubles as the bar so liquid refreshment--both alcoholic and non--is available around the clock. The breakfast, however, was sad--lots of packaged foods so I would recommend going around the corner to Canteen on Baker Street instead.

The experience was very homey and personal and the Montagu is a good choice for those interested in small townhouse hotels. (like many hotels in this category this is probably not a good choice if stairs are a problem).

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 3 February 2012

Stayed here for 2 nights with my wife. Great location, walking distance from Marylebone and Baker St. stations and within easy travelling distance to most of London's sites, but far enough from the main roads to ensure that the local bars and restaurants weren't full of tourists (would recommend the Bee Hive pub and Ishtar Restaurant). Staff are exceptionally polite and helpful . Most surprising was how quiet it was, we had a room on the top floor facing the back and we never heard a sound at night.

Minor criticism was that our room was quite small

Reviewed 2 February 2012

We were given a room one flight up from the reception. It was small, and quite tight walking around the bed. But we got a good deal for the one night we stayed there so I thought the size of the room was adequate. The bathroom is also small, just enough room for one person. The edge of the door just grazes the edge of the sink when you open/close it. The shower stall itself had lots of room.

Aside for the size of the room and bathroom, I really liked this hotel. The room had a high ceiling with a nice view of this quiet, little street behind the building. Walls were painted a lovely pale lavender colour with white trim. The bathroom was stocked with Molton Brown toiletries. And the bed! It was high, soft mattress without being too soft, the sheets were of high quality, pillows were fluffy yet firm, and duvet was not very thick yet was so warm and heavy. They also had a tray full of complimentary tea, coffee, water, and biscuits.

I don't mind how big or small a hotel room is, it's the little details that counts. And this hotel definitely paid attention to the little details. The location is ideal as well. The street itself is quiet, no car/crowd traffic and it's a short ten minutes walk to main Oxford Street.

The staff was very kind and willing to help you with anything.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple