“lovely hotel”

Ranked #25 of 1,069 Hotels in London
Downham Market, United Kingdom
“lovely hotel”
Reviewed 18 March 2012

We (my boyfriend and I) stayed here in august for his birthday and we were not disappointed. I had only been to London on day trips before and took some consideration into booking a hotel as i didnt want to pay lots of money for the wrong thing. I got a great price for the room and booked through laterooms and this was definitely worth it.
We booked a 'cosy' room and eventhough this was a smaller room, it was perfectly adequate.
The hotel was relatively easy to find, and only a few minutes walk away from madame tussauds and bakers street underground, making it easy to get anywhere in london.
After a busy day in london, we came back to the hotel to get ready for a meal at jwsteakhouse (separate review) and we were unfortunate enough to have been caught in severe rain which meant we were both looking forward to a nice hot shower. I was very impressed with the shower, and the molten brown toiletries. It made the stay just a little bit better. The bathroom was lovely, maybe a little on the small side, but that wasnt of any bother, nice fresh towels too. The bed linen was lovely, right down to the pillows and sheets.
The staff very helpful and when we went down to get some drinks at about 11pm this was no trouble. I wish we had included breakfast, as it looked delicious the next morning.
If i was in london i would definitely come back to this hotel, hopefully will in the future.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank jade199

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
  • Polish first
Mooloolaba, Australia
Reviewed 16 March 2012

Very nice small hotel in an excellent location. We had a room on 3rd floor and lots of steps but the staff where very efficient in bringing our luggage to our room. The room was a nice size but a very small but adequate bathroom. Would have been nice to have a small bar fridge in the room. We were exhausted on our arrival after a long flight from Australia and we ordered some Thai recommended by the hotel staff which was delivered promptly to the hotel. The staff member (sorry, I cant remember names) made up a table for us and we received a complimentary glass of wine to enjoy with the meal which was delicious. We were visiting London to surprise our son on his 40th birthday and the night of the birthday party we were asked to baby sit our 4 yr old grandaughter so we took her back to the hotel and asked for a mattress or fold up bed for her. We waited but it never arrived so that was the only disappointing part of our 2 night stay in the hotel. We hadn't requested it earlier as we didnt know we would have her with us so it was perhaps too late in the evening to find one for her.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
Singapore
Reviewed 11 March 2012

Nothing is a bother for the staff at this place, from getting an ironing board, to an umbrella, to flagging a taxi from the main street and mineral water after an obvious shopping trip. They are just so quick off the mark to attend to your needs. It is really one plus factor to stay at this place.

There are no lifts in the hotel but the staff will help you with your bags. I had the basement unit which was larger than the upstairs units, but still amply heated. Free wifi is a plus as is late night dinner which can be served because they tie up with a Thai restaurant.

The hotel has no gym but they have vouchers to a nearby one. It's 3 bus stops from Marble Arch and just one from Baker Street station. Excellent location.

Room Tip: The basement unit is really not bad if you don't need to look out of the window.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
Reviewed 8 March 2012

I had high hopes for this hotel but was bitterly disappointed. We usually say at the Hilton but its prices were a little too high this time. I had booked a comfy room but was upgraded to a fancy room number 14 on the first floor. I cannot really fault the room, clean, complimentary water, tea and coffee, free wifi and lovely bed linen. I did find the mattress a little hard for my taste but the pillows were very comfortable. The bathroom was small but well appointed. We were facing the street but traffic noise wasn't a problem. The real problem was from the inconsiderate male guests above us who woke us up after midnight and kept us awake until gone 2.00am with their talking and laughter. I know the hotel is in a listed building but it really would be good if the owners could consider better sound proofing the rooms. My husband had business meetings the following day and was not feeling in the best frame of mind after the disturbed night. We reported our disappointment to the receptionoist at check-out (we had decided not to stay the second night) and she immediately gave us a 50% rebate on the second night, the cost of which was fully reimbursed by the manager when he came on duty the following day. I am sorry to buck the trend of the reviews for this hotel but unfortunately we cannot choose our fellow guests.

Room Tip: Perhaps choose a top floor room even though there is no lift.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank CDL3
Arron D, General Manager at Montagu Place Hotel, responded to this review, 19 February 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for sharing your feedback in regards to your stay with us. I am glad to hear that you were pleased with the facilities, location, cleanliness, room amenities and hotel as a whole, however extremely disappointed to hear that we did not exceed your expectations during your stay and I would like to extend my sincere apologies.
In regards the noise you experienced I would like to thank you for addressing this. The building of the Hotel is a listed Georgian House hence we cannot modify the structure because of the remarkable historical value of this property however we recently had managed to soundproof a majority of our rooms to prevent our future guests from similar negative experience.
Moreover as the satisfaction of our guests is our highest value, may you give us the chance to make your next stay with us nothing else but perfect, please do feel free to contact us directly and we will make sure for that to happen.
Once again please accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused by other guests and I hope this experience will not deter your from staying with us in the future.
Warm regards,
Arron Dorjbat - General Manager
Munich, Germany
Reviewed 27 February 2012

We have been to the Montagu Place Hotel in February and it is the perfect place to stay for a shopping and sightseeing trip to London. I can tell as I have been to this area in several hotels and the Montageu is far the best. I can also recommend it for Business Travellers as there is free WiFi access in the whole Hotel. The metrostartion is just around the corner and you can walk to Selfrides in max 5 minutes. All shops and a lot very nice small resturants are just aound the corner. The rooms are very quiet which is unusal in this area. I have to point out the staff as they have been the most friendly and proffessional I have ever met. Also the style of the hotel is what I would call the perfect Boutique Hotel - stylish but very cosy. The size of rooms are for London standards ok but might be small to someone who does not know that big rooms are unreasonable expensive...We had the standard room, but if you stay longer than a few days I would suggest to book one of the executive rooms.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank katkat-1983
Michal M, General Manager at Montagu Place Hotel, responded to this review, 29 February 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your kind words about our hotel, location and staff. I am glad to read, that you were satisfied with the service we’ve provided you with.

I hope that all of your future stays with us will be at least as good as you recent.

Wakefield, West Yorkshire
Reviewed 26 February 2012

We stayed here for our Wedding Anniversary, and stayed based on the price and great reviews on Trip Advisor. We were not disappointed!!

We arrived a couple of hours before check in and our room was ready for us - we had room 33 which was a comfy room on the top floor. Despite alot of reviews commenting on the comfy rooms being pretty small, we were very impressed. Double bed, desk, desk chair, arm chair, wardrobe, wall mounted tv and original fireplace in the room - and we had plenty of room to move around. Not sure if we had a large comfy room, but we were very happy! The decor was stylish, in muted mauves, chocolate browns and crisp white bedding. The bathroom was small, with a half bath and shower over, but was luxurious and spotless - no complaints!

The staff were very attentive and friendly and when we arrived brought us 2 glasses of champagne, as I had mentioned during booking that we were visiting for our anniversary - such a thoughtful treat that got our stay off to a wonderful start!

We chose not to have breakfast in the hotel, but walked through the breakfast area, and it looked lovely.

It's about a 10 minute walk to the Baker Street tube, and there are plenty of cafe's and restaurants nearby if you don't want to go too far to eat.

Tips on the local area:
We ate breakfast in Linda's Cafe which is on the main Baker Street opposite the Sherlock Holmes museum. Typical no frills cafe but if you're on a budget, as we were, provided excellent breakfasts at very cheap prices. A full veggie breakfast, 4 slices of toast and 2 teas for £7.
We ate twice in the Two Point Thai restaurant - the hotel have an agreement with the restaurant so you can order and eat from this restaurant in your hotel room. Based on this we decided to visit and are very pleased we did. Delicious food at reasonable prices, and the staff were excellent. I'm new to Thai cuisine, and the staff talked me through different dishes and the flavours and were happy to amend sauces to suit my palate - never known such good service!!

To conclude, I would have no hesitation in staying here again or recomending this hotel.

Room Tip: We were in a comfy room on the top floor - these are at the back of the hotel, so it's very quie...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank RachelandStephen
Michal M, General Manager at Montagu Place Hotel, responded to this review, 27 February 2012
Dear Rachel and Stephen,

Thank you very much for taking time and writing review about our hotel.

I am glad that we managed to make your stay with us the right and special stay for your anniversary.

I look forward to be welcoming you back in our hotel on another occasion.

Swansea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 February 2012

We really enjoyed our three nights stay. The hotel is very nice and the staff are friendly and eager to please. We had breakfast as it was included in our booking deal. However, had we had to pay extra I would have been rather disappointed! I am quite happy with continental breakfasts, but as mentioned by a previous reviewer the jams, cheeses etc were all catering style pre-packed offerings! It would have been nice to have had the choice of some fresh British cheeses. One other negative - on the second evening I opened a bottle of the, thoughtfully provided, complimentary water and found it was the previous days empty which had been re-filled with tap water! I did report it and the lovely young man at reception was most apologetic and provided me with a replacement. I would put this down to, maybe, a little laziness on the part of whoever serviced our room that day

This does sound rather negative, but in fact we really enjoyed our stay and would return. The hotel is clean, comfortable and in an excellent location. The staff are friendly and eager to please. We stayed in a comfy room and it was plenty big enough for us.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
Michal M, General Manager at Montagu Place Hotel, responded to this review, 21 February 2012
Dear Guests,

Thank you very much for your feedback. We do appreciate all your comments and we are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us.

Thank you also for your comments and suggestion regarding our breakfast. We will review all of your points to see how we can improve.

I can reassure you that the bottles are tamper proof and we do not by any means refill them, let alone with the tap water.

I am looking forward your next stay with us.