“terrible hotel”

NH London Kensington
Ranked #270 of 1,076 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 1 January 2012

we booked here for new years eve,paid well over the normal price but thats because of the time of year.room only average not 4 star in my book,shaver plug in bathroom would not work reception sent a plug in adaptor that was wrong one i just gave up. breakfast was very poor cold srambled egg,fatty bacon,cheap sausages.would not use this company again.

Reviewed 29 December 2011

We had three rooms booked for a large family trip. Were quite satisfied with both the quality and the value. Comfort, cleanliness and location are all first-class. Only reason that I didn't give five stars was the slow check out, which was held up by the one clerk spending an inordinate amount of time fiuddling with some guest's NH points scheme to partially pay for their bill.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 December 2011

Or intention was to stay here because we were going to see George Michael at Earls Court. If you do not have a reason to stay in this area, then there are far more central hotels offering better access to the touristy areas. The hotel is OK. Its rooms are adequate and bathroom OK (except the size of the bath towels which were tiny). The restaurant is souless - there are far better restaurants around Earls Court tube station. We found a little family Italian which was good value for money. If i were going to an event at Earls Court again, i would happily stay here.

1  Thank AJ0nes
Reviewed 28 December 2011

We booked this hotel as a 'mystery' hotel on another web-site and, as a consequence, it was very good value compared to other hotels of the same star-rating and location.
Unfortunately I had fractured my wrist just prior to our visit and was a little anxious about how I would manage getting in and out of the bath etc. I emailed the hotel to enquire about whether there were walk-in showers in the bedrooms, and they immediately re-allocated us an 'accessible' bedroom.
The bedroom we were allocated was in the basement of the hotel, but did have a large window so we had natural light. It was extremely spacious, comfortable and clean and we really couldn't have asked for more.
The staff were very friendly and helpful, and although we did have a slight mix-up over payment for the breakfast, this was quickly and easily sorted out.

The hotel is in a very convenient location for all kinds of tourist attractions and shopping.The nearest underground station (Earl's Court) is about a 5 minute walk away from the hotel, and it is very easy to find. The only downside of the trip was the amount of steps to climb with baggage (and an injured wrist) in the underground station, when getting the line from Heathrow Airport.

I would definitely recommend this hotel for anyone looking for a comfortable clean and friendly hotel in an excellent location

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank zilcha
Reviewed 24 December 2011

In the midst of a trip across continents, visiting family for the holiday season, we had just a few days to ourselves in London. We wanted somewhere nice to stay, in a good location, but affordable - in an expensive city at an expensive time of year. I read a lot of reviews on TripAdvisor and although the NH Kensington looked great, I felt nervous because of a few bad reviews I'd read. My fears were totally unfounded.

The hotel is in a great location near the Tube (on the Piccadilly line direct to Heathrow) with lots of shops and restaurants nearby. It was quiet and we slept great. We thought the room was a good size, clean, modern, comfortable. (We had booked a King sized bed - either they gave us a Queen, or I'm glad we booked the King) Breakfast was great - we pre-ordered so it was just 10 GBP per day. I think the regular price of 18 quid would have been a bit steep.

Staff were friendly and helpful, regardless of the time of day or night we came by. One day, we took a day trip out to Bath and were leaving to catch the train before breakfast started. Staff arranged a "brown bag" with a sandwich, drink, pastries, apple, which we collected on our way out for the day. My only tip is that the hotel doesn't have its own fitness centre. It has an arrangement with a nearby sister hotel, but I didn't really want to be heading down the street in the dark winter morning to find a gym in another hotel. Overall we were completely satisfied and enjoyed our stay very much.

Reviewed 17 December 2011

I stayed in the hotel for 2 nights. The location is very good and the hotel is nice though the rooms are small. My hair dryer was not working so I called Front Office and there was no answer. Went down to complain and had to wait at least 5 minutes before somebody came to the desk. Went for drinks to the bar and there was no one and again had to wait, and was told by the person who served me that he was doing room service as well. The hair dryer was never fixed. I wanted to speak to the Manager of the hotel and was told that he is in a meeting and will call me, but as expected nobody called. Overall an extremely disappointing stay. I will never stay in this hotel and will advice everyone the same. An advice for the management, when we pay the price for the room we do, we expect the management to show concern..............

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank Bart C
Reviewed 7 December 2011

I was nervous when I was told that my room was in the basement but my fears were unfounded. The daylit basement room was much larger than other rooms of the same price range in London and appeared newly renovated. Other reviews here mention a lack of charm. True, it does not have the old world charm other boutique hotels in the area have but the merits of NH Kensington completely outweigh that concern. The contemporary designed room was very clean, had a large bed (two twin beds pushed together), and had a bathroom with a large bathtub and a shower with awesome water pressure. The room had a minibar with only slightly high prices and a safe, large enough for an ipad or small notebook. NH Kensington is on a large road but since my room was in the back on the side of the hotel away from the road, I heard no traffic noise at all.

Wifi was provided free in the lobby.

My one and only gripe, was that the drain in the bathroom was very very slow to drain.

I would definitely look in to staying at the NH Kensington the next time I am in London. It is a short, pleasant walk from Earl’s Court Tube station (which is on the Piccadilly, Central & District Lines). On the way to the hotel, you’ll preview the slew of reasonable restaurants and grocery stores that you will undoubtedly frequent while you are in the area.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple