Haymarket Hotel
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Bar/Lounge
Hotel Indigo(London)
  • Bar/Lounge
All reviewsfirmdale hotelskit kempbrumus restaurantfirmdale groupher majesty's theatrehonesty barhonor barluxury junior suitephantom of the operaindoor poolham yardpillow spraynational gallerywest endthe theater districthuge bathroomcovent garden
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 23 January 2012

My wife and I had our wedding at the Haymarket in August of 2010 and, living in London, we have since visited the hotel on a number of occasions with friends for lunch, afternoon tea or drinks in the bar.

The property is located between Piccadilly Circus and Trafalgar Square, an absolutelly prime location for sightseeing, access throughout London and a great place to be if you're catching a show. The hotel, while retaining a classical exterior facade is extremely modern and chic inside but without taking itself too serious nor being pretentious in any way. The public spaces, restaurant and bar are all beautifully furnished with very quirky decorations and artwork, while the event spaces such as the Library and the Shooting Gallery where we held our wedding ceremony and reception are simply stunning. We also had a number of family and friends staying with us at the hotel for the wedding and all were extremely impressed with the quality of the rooms (especially the soundproofing in what is a very busy part of town!), the quality and friendliness of the service as well as the general feel of the hotel. All the rooms are individually furnished and even the lowest grades of room are a good size for this part of London.

The hotel also benefits from a stunning indoor pool which, although we did not use, would make an excellent spot to relax in after a day's sightseeing.

Overall, this hotel would be a great choice when visiting London, although the thing that really set it appart for us however, was the level of service and the amount of assistance which my wife and I received over the months leading up to our wedding as well as on the day itself. The events coordinator Victoria was fantastic in keeping us on track with everything which needed to be done, while Marco, the events manager on the day worked tirelesly to ensure that everthing ran smoothly and without a hitch! Little touches such as the maids fully re-cleaning my parent's room (which my ushers and I used to get ready in) before my parents arrived even without being asked, are a sign of a superior level of service and attention to detail. Last but certainly not least, a mention must go out to the chefs and waiting staff for the absolute quality of food which was produced - 60 giant portions of on-the-bone steak arrived at the same time for everyone, all warm and perfectly cooked medium rare - this is a feat that many restaurants would struggle to recreate for 6 people let alone 60!!

An absolutely fantastic hotel and although certainly not cheap, if you want a special place to stay in London, you cannot go far wrong with the Haymarket!

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 January 2012

First time we have stayed at this hotel. From the moment we arrived until our departure three days later we enjoyed every minute and were rather sad to leave. We stayed there during the night of the disco mentioned in one of the earlier reviews but we were not aware of it happening-obviously just your luck where your room is situated.

Our room was spacious, more like a suite, and immaculately clean. The bathroom was luxurious, with a massive square shaped shower, as well as a fantastic relaxing bath with a built in large flat TV screen above it.

The swimmimg pool in the basement area was an amazing size for a city centre hotel pool. We swam early in the morning so had it totally to ourselves and were served hot tea and mince pies at the side of the pool afterwards. However one day the pool was closed for a private function, which was a bit disappointing.

The service was extremely friendly, not pretentious in the least, with everyone making you feel a bit special for staying there. Only one minor quibble was with an over zealous room maid who disposed of the tray of unfinished chocolate covered strawberries we had not eaten the previous evening.

The adjoining bar and restaurant was also of a good standard too. Quiet on occasion, it burst into life after the theatre next door empties. Tasty bar snacks such as Italian antipasti platters are served all night.

Mention must also be made of the location, two minutes from Trafalgar square, which looked especially beautiful at Christmas time.

We hope to stay at the Haymarket hotel in the future.

Room Tip: Ask for one far removed from the function room.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Coffeeprincess
Reviewed 5 January 2012

We stayed here for a couple of nights in June but I have been comparing hotels to this one ever since so thought I'd better do the long overdue review!

Not cheap but you get what you pay for. Very stylish decor - they have nailed the English eclectic country house look. Beautiful fabrics, wallpapers and lovely high quality furniture that really does make you feel you're staying in someone's (very wealthy and well decorated) home. Nothing too gimmicky or trashy. Cool gift in the room - a box of stripey pencils!

We arrived straight off a flight from Sydney and after scrubbing up we had afternoon tea in the very pleasant restaurant/bar in a window seat overlooking the hustle and bustle of the Haymarket. OK, it wasn't Fortnum and Mason but exceedingly pleasant nonetheless, reasonably priced and just what we needed before slipping into a jetlag induced coma on the insanely comfortable bed.

We had a deluxe bedroom on the first floor overlooking the road in front of the hotel. We had no problems with noise but I did check we had a quiet room before we checked in as we'd just come off a long flight. There was a function on in the downstairs bar on our first night but we didn't hear a peep.

Bathroom very nice, good plentiful supply of Miller Harris toiletries, fluffy fresh white towels, bathrobe and slippers. Cute items for sale along with the minibar - Miller Harris candle etc.

On our second night were were still very tired and after a day of shopping all we were fit for was staying in the hotel so we enjoyed some drinks and then our dinner in the hotel bar and restaurant. Bar prices were reasonable for a 5 star hotel and the bar had a nice buzzy vibe, not just full of hotel guests which I always think is a good sign. Dinner was good I recall but the jetlag was catching up with me so sorry cannot recall exactly what we had.

Staff courteous, service efficient and discreet.

The only complaint we had was that the pool was unavailable for our 2 night stay due to private functions being held in the downstairs bar/pool room. We weren't told about this until check in and we were disappointed not to be able to have a swim as we'd chosen this hotel above the other Firmdale properties in London due to the pool. However the hotel was so perfect in every other way we forgot this.

Hotel well situated for shopping - 10mins walk to Oxford Circus up Regent Street. A 20 min or so walk to Bond Street/Selfridges.

We really didn't want to leave this hotel! Have recommended it to all our family and friends back in the UK - perfect hotel for a weekend theatre/shopping break! Will definitely check out other Firmdale properties in the future.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 January 2012

Expectations exceeded at our 3 night new year stay at The Haymarket Hotel (we also love Charlotte Street & Covent Garden hotels). All staff, from reception to door, were extremely courteous helpful and friendly. Loved the decor, room (206 on corner of The Haymarket & Suffolk Place; couldn't believe how quiet the secondary glazing made it)) and ambience, and the photos do not do the pool area justice! Highly recommended and a great location.

Room Tip: Corner room 206 felt light and spacious with 3 windows
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank JT8890
Reviewed 26 December 2011

The small Firmdale chain of hotels in London really gets the combination of style and substance. I've stayed in all but one of their London properties and they have all offered fabulous eclectic British design, very high quality and superb, discreet and personal service.

My stay at The Haymarket in early December was great. Check-in was quick (the home-made mince pies on the desk were appreciated) and my bags were quickly taken up to my room whilst they parked my car for me. The valet parking isn't cheap (it's for 24hrs) but I checked the rates locally to make sure they weren't overcharging - they weren't - it's just expensive in the heart of the West End.

There's direct access to the, very pink, Brumus restaurant from the foyer. I had a granola/yoghurt and eggs benedict for breakfast - both of which were faultless. Around the back of the reception are a couple of areas to have drinks - the nicest of which is a drawing room with an honesty bar.

I didn't get to use the pool as this was closed for a private function - a rarity I was told - this was probably to do with the run-up to Christmas but worth checking when you're booking.

The room itself was on the 2nd floor, looking out over Suffolk Place, and had double-double glazing so was actually very quiet. The quality of everything in the room was superb: mattress that's soooo comfy!, fantastic mini-bar selection of drinks and snacks, Loewe TV, Bose iPod docking station, Tivoli radio in the bathroom, nice toiletries... The curtains in all Firmdale rooms were really thick, and beautifully made, and there was a blackout blind on the window too.

I only spent one night there this time but it was a really nice touch that all the concierge and reception staff I came across remembered my name. Highly recommended if you want a high quality personal boutique hotel in the heart of the West End.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor to be a bit further raised from reception.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business