“Attention to detail and every course fitted with the name of the restaurant.”
Review of Fera at Claridge's

Fera at Claridge's
Ranked #317 of 25,453 Restaurants in London
Price range: US$51 - US$143
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Mayfair
Description: Inspired by the rhythm of the seasons, Michelin-starred Fera at Claridge's brings a creative and natural approach to contemporary British cuisine, combined with a rare artistry of presentation. At Fera – which means 'wild' in Latin – the finest seasonal ingredients are transformed with instinct and imagination into à la carte and tasting menus that capture the essence of nature. Likewise, our talented sommelier team chooses wines that are grown in the most natural way, shaped by their terroir. Fera at Claridge's unique ambience was created by the acclaimed interior architect Guy Oliver. His exceptional design reflects the moody, organic shapes, colours and textures to be found in nature.
Reviewed January 13, 2018

We chose the full tasting menu and we were extremely impressed with the quality of the food and how each and envy course followed and fitted with the "Fera" (wild) theme.

The decor was stunning, staff were extremely well presented and knowledgable about the courses served.
We were greeted warmly and there was real attention to detail throughout our lists.

As with any tasting menu, there will be courses that appeal more than others. We particularly liked the stewed rabbit with lovage, seaweed crackers with cured cod and swede dumplings.
My partner loved the red deer but I felt the cabbage had a burnt taste.

Lovage is my new favourite flavour!

Overall, we had a wonderful visit and if we could offer any constructive feedback it would be that we had multiple servers rather than one dedicated server and that our table was next to where the servers waited and kept the water which was a bit of a distraction and we kept pausing our conversation.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,524)

Reviewed January 9, 2018 via mobile

Hello - I'm writing this review to give feedback but also reflect on what were reasonable expectations and what not. I'm fortunate to have visited and to visit many establishments in various countries which my other reviews will show, but I'm sad this one couldn't have been as glowing as most of my reviews usually are.
We were a group of 6 adults and 3 children for an 80th birthday party, booked online by another member of the party. The restaurant was told about the ages and circumstances.
Good things - helpful staff collecting coats at the entrance; being very accommodating to seat 9 of us instead of the 8 originally booked (although it changed the dynamic from a lovely oval table to longer seating); exquisite Art Deco decor with no music, perhaps a little too dark and quiet; most table staff pleasant and attentive, if a little quiet.
However I have to comment on these following occurrences.
We had no one formally introducing themselves, nor explaining the conduct of the menus, timing, provision for children etc. There were probably three main members of staff for our table but at least 8 involved at various times throughout the evening.
One waiter perhaps tried to be a cheeky chappie but with English not his first language I think the humour was lost...he started by asking who the birthday boy was and kept repeating this, the small handwritten card was a nice touch but no Sir or communication appropriate for an 80 year old man. No one else congratulated him on his birthday. Seemed like business as usual for them with no individualisation for us. The same waiter was confused with the one vegetarian menu supplied and gave it to the wrong person without checking. The same waiter trying to be funny or not? - checking if I knew the amuse bouche was edible and then saying I had to hurry up so he could take my main plate!
Their table setting choice was starting the service having main plates on the tables, no sides, so all had to be removed, whether used or not after the tiny morsels were eaten.
At this point we realised there were no small menus kept on the table before seating, when they did get supplied there was no description and if you wanted to choose vegetarian it had to be taken from a pile as opposed to all clients being given both menus.
One lady clearly saying to all of us there was no rush to order but she came before the sommelier and wasn't interested in my questions about my husband's beer or my juice nor my surprise there were so few mains on either menu (plus she couldn't find the vegetarian menu when it came to my turn), finally I said I would order dessert later to which she replied we would have to order dessert now as there would be a delay with this sized group with only one patisserie chef! The place was half empty and our section completely empty! This lady was attentive with pouring water for the first half of the evening but that was about it for interaction.
Very few options and no poultry on mains selection.
Tiny mains portions with no side plates offered.
No interaction from staff (chatty or formal) and no names given as introductions. No one offered to chat more or take our photos.
Kids meals delayed and served after adult starters, we certainly didn't want to eat before the children.
Excessive delays. We entered at 18.45 then rushed so that amuse bouche came at 19.10 then no dessert until after 21.00!
Rules chopped and changed!
Then confusion at the end - another waiter whom we had noticed before but who had had no eye contact with us became the person presenting the bill. I queried the prices of the children's meals, which previously had been stated as 'we will modify'. He said children under 12 were not usually admitted and they had been given the same portions as adults anyway! The person who booked said she had given the ages of kids at the time of booking and was told under 5 not admitted, so 6-10 was no problem! Her email response stated no extra details either way. Certainly when we entered we were not told anything specific. Then he went on to say 'we don't serve burgers and chips'. So the whole communication of the entire evening - either being ignored or of patronising comments - certainly continued now! I'm not sure if that was about the kids or referring to what he assumed I would need? I said I don't eat burgers (meat) and chips (we had requested potatoes earlier!) and if we had known that this was not appropriate for children we would have tried the other restaurant at Claridges or gone somewhere else. He said we should have known or the person booking should have known before about the menu! So an assumption that we look everything up before coming to a restaurant and that no one will welcome us, give us their names, give us explanations or respond to our questions?! I perceived he became very animated with replies out of proportion or accuracy to my questions. He chose not to bring any other member of staff to talk with me, not that I requested it, but in retrospect that might have helped us both. The children were now very tired so half the party decided to go.
This was an 80th birthday and a family gathering. We were not made to feel special at all.
I have tried to be very clear and curious with my questioning and discussions both at the time and now.
He said I should have asked or said more when arriving. Like how much time we were expecting it to take or about the menu! The latter I did but was effectively ignored.
There was nothing in the quantity or quality in the adults' or kids' brill that was worth over £40! Same for the vegetarian dish which I think was cabbage.
I mentioned all the above and more at the time. I felt the best thing was to request we did not pay the 12.5% service charge (over £100). He was reluctant to take this off but did so, unfortunately the whole amount had already just been paid so it had to be a reversal on the card. He then made comments about paying a tip in USA! How relevant or polite was that?
Very happy to pay oodles of cash if the quality / quantity of food / service were good but as all 4 failed and with ample opportunity to rectify conduct at the end I had no choice but to ask for the service charge to be taken off.
Other 5 star places in London and elsewhere specify set menus or set prices or other limitations and usually present the former at the time of seating. We never got presented with a la carte options at all.

Expectations may have been unrealistic? Not the best place for a special family gathering involving kids and the more senior? In which case I will return to the places where my expectations are fully and sometimes surprisingly surpassed - as you will see from my other TripAdvisor posts. These certainly happened before and happily after our experience at Claridges.
As more diverse families choose where to eat out and more diverse eateries continue to expand, I wonder if this restaurant has future-proofed itself?

2  Thank lmnop_12
Reviewed January 3, 2018

... but just wonderful 'wild' ingredients. 'Fera' means 'wild' in Latin and signifies the style of the restaurant's food and the ingredients it uses. The dishes are original and influenced by the Scandinavian Fine Dining 'woodland school'. Not exactly Noms, but in that direction.

All three dishes from the set menu were superb, backed up by impeccable service.

Samuel R, Manager at Fera at Claridge's, responded to this reviewResponded January 4, 2018

Dear Cordonbleu;

Being mentioned along “Maurice Sendak” and “Noms” at the same time really leaves me speechless, and truly means a lot to us all at Fera.

I do hope that we have the chance to have you try our new dishes on your next visit.

Kind regards,
Samuel Radisson
Restaurant Director

Reviewed January 2, 2018

We went on New Years Day to start the year well. The service was excellent from the welcome when we arrived to when we left. There was a good choice of menu's from the set lunch to the five or seven course or a la carte. The prices were all reasonable considering the quality and presentation of the food. The art deco design of the restaurant was very beautiful.

Dear Hilary,

How wonderful to read your review. I am delighted to hear that you spent New Years Day with us and enjoyed your lunch.

I hope to have the pleasure to welcoming you again soon at Fera.

Kind regards,

Samuel Radisson
Restaurant Director

Reviewed January 1, 2018

Our first visit to Fera at Claridge’s started off on a weak note – there were issues with ordering two different levels of Sommelier’s Wine Pairings, but things were quickly corrected, and we had a wonderful meal. So good, in fact, that we returned on our next trip to London.

The second visit to Fera, also started out with a glitch, but one all on me. Somehow, I made the reservation for the week before. A week before we arrived in London! I have to take responsibility for this one, and Fera was excellent in helping me sort this out. Then, we received word that a UK board member planned to join us, so a reservation for 2, jumped up to 4. Fera did not bat an eye. Everything was perfect!

Now, Fera occupies the general space, where Gordon Ramsay at Claridge’s once was. We loved that restaurant, and dined there several times, and each one excellent. Some changes have been made, but the general feeling of the main dining room is pretty much unchanged. We do a great deal of fine-dining, and around the world. We have over a hundred “Michelin Stars” to our credit, and many 3-Star experiences, on several continents. In that, we have done all 3-Star restaurants in the UK, all in Tokyo, most (still need 3) in the USA. We know fine-dining, and their venues. I cannot think of any dining room, which is more elegant, or beautiful, than Fera. One knows that they are in for a unique, and exciting dining experience, when they enter this restaurant. All that the venue portends, translates to our recent dining experience – “excellence.”

After my profuse apologies were issued, for my reservations faux pas (graciously accepted by the staff), we began with the Paul Pillot Clos St Jean 1er Cru Chassagne Montrachet ‘08. This wine was drinking wonderfully. [Just had two ‘08's showing oxidation, but still good, and this one was still fresh, and just excellent.] We then pondered the menu

We decided on the Tasting Menu, with the Sommelier’s pairings:
Stewed Rabbit w/ lovage, scallop (kindly substituted for my wife, with a bi-valve allergy), mushroom and pine, paired with Nikolaihof Wachau Riesling “Steinriesler” ‘02 – the “smoke notes” on the Rabbit were excellent, as was the wine. One of the best Rabbit dishes, that I can recall, and I am usually not a fan – except at Fera
Raw Dexter Beef w/ smoked cauliflower, sweet cicely and shiso, accompanied by Leflaive Sous le Dos D’Ane Meursault ‘08 – another wonderful dish, and the big white (Chardonnay) with the Beef was a surprise – a surprise, which worked well
Turbot Roasted in Seaweed w/ broccoli and sea lettuce, along with the Domaine Labet Cotes du Jura Les Varrons Chardonnay – excellent Turbot, and the Chardonnay was a great, and also a different pairing
Cornish Lamb & Belly w/ king oyster mushroom and watercress, paired with the Brovia Barolo ‘12 – probably the best Lamb, that I have had in many years, and the Barolo, from Coravin, was excellent. One wine pairing was the Le Chiuse Brunello di Montalcino ‘04, also served from Coravin
Anise hyssop w/ honey and sweet cheese, and the Cidrerie du Vulcain “Cider de Fer,” ‘15 (Switzerland)
Chocolate & Sweet Clover w/ crispy cake and honeycomb, along with the Julien Labert “La Paille Perdu, Jura ‘11, and the Domaine du Traginer Banyuls Grand Cru ‘08 – excellent wine pairings
Cheese Course with a Domaine Rousset-Peyraguey Sauternes ‘00 – a great selection of cheeses, and an excellent Sauternes. The Barolo (from earlier) developed wonderful cinnamon notes with the cheeses!

The service was both seamless, and flawless. The same was true for the wine service, mostly in elegant Zalto stemware. Was there a flaw anywhere? Best that I can come up with was that a dish, which I had fallen in love with, on the previous visit, Raw Dexter Beef in coal oil, pumpkin (seeds) and kohlrabi, was not on the menu. That was a unique, and wonderful dish.

This was a perfect meal, and worthy of 3 Michelin Stars, from my dining experiences.