“Meal ruined by rude staff”
Review of Japanese Canteen

Japanese Canteen
Ranked #12,566 of 25,578 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Japanese, Korean
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

What has happened to this place? Usually my go-to for moderately priced, tasty Japanese food when in this part of town but our recent (and definitely last) experience was terrible.

Sat down on Saturday night to be served by a selection of surly, hostile, unfriendly staff who made the whole experience incredibly unpleasant, The restaurant was barely half-full and seemed to be operating with what appeared to be sufficient staff to customer ratio.

All pleasantries were spared and each time we asked for another round of drinks (which was a grand total of twice) you would've thought we had asked them go and harvest the hops, brew and bottle the beers we were drinking. Ridiculous.

It is a shame because I have no fault with the food and as I mentioned, I have been going to this place for years. It was definitely less full than previous visits so perhaps word has got out.

Date of visit: November 2018

Reviewed November 2, 2018 via mobile

As a regular, I can vouch for the food. However the last few visits I have had terrible customer service. We actually had to leave the restaurant because of how aggressive and rude the staff were! Shame, we won’t be going back and hope they teach their staff some basic etiquette

Date of visit: October 2018
Reviewed October 6, 2018 via mobile

Thought I would try it, spur of the moment, glad I did. The atmosphere was good, food was out of this world, and service very good. And as for the prices very very reasonable. Definitely go there again, and definitely recommend it.

Date of visit: September 2018
Reviewed October 2, 2018 via mobile

I have visited a couple of times, excellent value for money Japanese food. Seating available inside or out.

Date of visit: October 2018
Reviewed September 30, 2018

I was put off by the mediocre reviews of this place so didn't go for ages but now i literally go on an almost weekly basis.

Contrary to other reviews i find the service to be great 95% of the time.

The food is great if you know what to order - I recommend the salmon and volcano sushi sets and also the salmon teriyaki dish. FYI in the past i've been disappointed by the sesame spinach and also the Kentucky Fried Tofu (its comparable to drinking sriracha from the bottle if you're into that kind of thing!!).

I'm so glad this place is a stones throw away from where I live !!

Date of visit: September 2018