“Decent bbq, excellent service.”
Review of Chicago Rib Shack

Chicago Rib Shack
Ranked #3,102 of 25,450 Restaurants in London
Price range: US$19 - US$32
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Clapham / Battersea
Description: The Chicago Rib Shack is a London favourite, serving All-American greats including a selection of mouth-watering ribs, juicy burgers and mind-blowingly good chicken - accompanied perfectly by our infamous Onion Loaf (which is still made to the same recipe)! All our ribs are smoked for hours over apple-wood, while our burgers are lovingly hand-minced. Both are served alongside dangerously good milkshakes, classic American craft beers and homemade Ice Teas and Lemonades. Our ‘Rib Shack week’ kicks off with 50% off food every Monday night - yes, you heard correctly! And if you miss that why not treat yourself to one of our many other deals including £10 fried chicken and coleslaw Tuesday | £1 per wing on Wednesday | £12 burger, drink and fries Thursday | or midweek 2-for-1 cocktails - now isn’t that tempting?
Reviewed November 2, 2017 via mobile

Went to to the restaurant with my partner and parents. We enjoyed our meals especially the starters and baby back ribs! The service was outstanding! Carlos ensured that we were talen care of from arrival until we left. Thanks Carlos!!

1  Thank Victoria W
TheRibShackTeam, Manager at Chicago Rib Shack, responded to this reviewResponded November 3, 2017

Hi Victoria

Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us! We'll make sure to pass these comments onto Carlos who will be so pleased to hear that you enjoyed his service.

We hope to see you and your family again sometime soon!

Kind regards

The Rib Shack Team

Reviewed October 31, 2017 via mobile

Good food, huge portions (get the ribs!) great service! Carlos the waiter was amazing! Went on a Tuesday, fast service and good ambiance

2  Thank Danial S
TheRibShackTeam, Manager at Chicago Rib Shack, responded to this reviewResponded November 1, 2017

Hi Danial

We're so glad you enjoyed your visit with us! Carlos is such an asset to the team and will be so pleased you enjoyed his service. As an American-style restaurant we pride ourselves on super friendly service so its great to hear our hard work is paying off.

We're really pleased you were impressed with the portion sizes, next time you're super hungry make sure to pop back in, we'd love to see you again!

Best wishes

The Rib Shack Team

Reviewed October 21, 2017

I originally wrote a review a week ago. Tripadvisor took 2 days to publish it and then it was removed after another two days. Obviously the owners complained and managed to find a couple of not so politically correct comments on which basis it was pulled. Of course at the time I was very very upset with one of the worst culinary experiences I have ever had so understandably I was quite emotional although still factually accurate.
However I am sure that Tripadvisor want future customers to be protected from such an insult to the senses in every possible way that this restaurant provides. Wife even threw up the same evening after complaining the food left her feeling uneasy and has made it perfectly clear that if in any parallel universe I were ever to suggest trying it again then she's leaving with the baby.

The owners of this restaurant have obviously paid to be allowed to use the most famous name in American rib dining in London. It originally occupied the site Zuma is now enjoying opposite Harrods at the back of a square. It cut a perfect balance between Big Easy on Kings Road which is superb apart from glacially slow service and the brilliant Goodmans in Mayfair. Superb food, big portions and they championed giving customers bibs to wear assuming they were going to get their hands dirty as indeed many happily did.
For some reason it closed down and a few years later another much more down market place opened round the corner next the famous Mr Chow restaurant which had more of a pack em and stack em and America diner approach but still kept 75% of the quality and importantly the famous onion loaf which it kept faithful to the original. Now, it was below par with Big Easy so bottom of the three but still worth a visit. Eventually it closed .
Now. Oh Dear.
I excitedly saw that Chicago Ribshack had opened in Clapham and Aldgate. Decent locations for a good quality restaurant so my hopes were up. I even gave them the benefit of the doubt when it took 48 hours to answer an email and longer than that for the second so I had to call them up. But yes. They did still have the same original recipe onion loaf so red rag to a bull, wafer thin mint to the undecided I had to give it at try.

What a disaster. We walked into what appeared to be a cheap local diner. With faux bravado I reassured my wife that this was a legend with the amazing onion loaf I had been telling her about.
The restaurant was half full on a Sunday lunchtime which also did not bode well.
Service was very very very slow. The manager who apparently was called Attillah walked around expressionlessly without any sense of being the main face of the restaurant or indeed caring about his customers. For instance when the starters arrived he literally threw them on the table and walked away deaf to my protests that he had got the order wrong. I had to get up and find his deputy as he disappeared.
The only positive point was my wife's passion fruit Mojito but I had to ask three times even going up to the bar to remind them.
I am a mild mannered man -no really I am- but the attitude of the staff, the quality of the food, the relatively high prices had me incensed. It was clear that Take Away business was where they really made their money so all the rest of the customers sitting in had to wait their turn. The high turnover fast food aspect was only emphasised by the minimum wage (probably) chefs who were the only staff members seeming to be having a good time frequently brandishing vacuum packed plastic wrapped ribs in the air . Nothing wrong with being vacuum packed but this is not the way to present authentic BBQ style cuisine to the public . Is it.
The ribs themselves were barely edible. Not much meat on them, no sense of having been freshly BBQd, and mine looked worryingly pink inside. I was so hungry I ate them thinking a really should not have. My wife vomited later that night.
Not only were they slow but they completely forgot about my son's order altogether. I got up and spoke directly with the chefs and the food arrived in a couple of minutes. This of course emphasises how much the TakeAway was delaying our food.
The only time we recieved any kind of service was when I told them (note I did not threaten, I said it was going to happen) that I was going to give Atillah a terrible review. Then we got his deputy (who was in all fairness a bit nicer but still soooo slow) and Atillah coming to our table 'seeing how things were' and we were given a free Mojito.
Atillah was so off the planet that he later asked me on what grounds I was removing the service charge from the bill. He then complained about the owners saying that they were not good at all. Really? You say that to a customer? I could have guessed about the owners ....somehow.
So. To summarise:
The owners are using a famous name with its glittering reputation to bring custom into what amounts to a culinary crime, a fetid sin on the fading wake of a legend.
This is not the way to honour the name and if there were culinary police they would beimmediately arrested, thrown in an empty pantry overnight and sent to cookery class, customer service lessons and an ethics course.

This your honours is my honest review of this establishment. Enter at your peril.

6  Thank Constantine S
Reviewed October 15, 2017 via mobile

Went as a family for Sunday night dinner. Great kids meals and milkshakes. Adults had chicken , ribs and pork belly all really tasty and well cooked. Staff excellent

TheRibShackTeam, Manager at Chicago Rib Shack, responded to this reviewResponded October 17, 2017

Hi Virginia191,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share this feedback with us!

We pride ourselves on being a family-friendly restaurant with plenty of options for all ages and we're so glad you all found something you could enjoy.

We can't wait to welcome you and your family back sometime soon!

Kind Regards

Chichago Ribshack Team

Reviewed October 13, 2017 via mobile

We booked for 13 for a 50th meal relatives coming from Manchester and Brighton for the occasion. We phoned x2 and called in to confirm the booking to add 3 further people we were told it was all fine. We arrived to find a private party in full swing! It was totally embarrassing infont of family who had travelled a long way for one evening. They were not helpful at all. They apologised but it certainly didn't help with 16 people hoping to eat on a Saturday night!! How many times do you need to confirm??!!

1  Thank saflatley