“Great Food”

Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Covent Garden
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

My last day in London. I am in Covent Garden feeling it is high time for lunch. As I love indian food, I wanted to try thia restaurant on which I received many recommendations.
I enjoyed it thoroughly. The service was quick, efficient and kind. The food was superb and the portions were generous. Yet the place is not cheap sp prepare yourself for that. Don't miss it.

Amrit m, Owner at Punjab, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Hi Idan1382,

Thank you very much for your recent review of the Punjab. I was glad to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed your time with us.
Please do come and see us again the next time you are in Covent Garden

MD of the Punjab

Write a ReviewReviews (2,205)

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

What makes Punjab different from many other Indian restaurants in London is the origin of its food from the north of India and its attention to making the food as close to that original as possible. One way in which this is done is in using the spices from the region as they are used in that region. When the menu says that something is spicy, believe it: the Madras dishes are hot and spicy, though delicious and flavorful. What might be marked medium in another restaurant and come out rather bland, here has just the right amount of heat. The lamb dishes are great; the biranyis are the right consistency without being oily. The garlic naan is always a winner. Service is prompt--the orders for fourteen last night came out as quickly as the orders for two when I was here two weeks ago. The restaurant is deservedly popular--reservations for weekend dinners are probably necessary. The servers checked on us regularly but without being obtrusive. Extra orders put in mid-meal came out quickly as well. Certainly my Indian restaurant of choice in London because of its excellent food and consistent service.

Hi Andrew W,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a comprehensive review of the Punjab. I was delighted to hear that you enjoyed every aspect of your meals with us. You are right to point out we are always working toward sticking to our Northern Indian roots with the spices and the dishes we serve. With main of dishes being served the same as when we first opened in London.

Please do come and see us again very soon

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

This was the best Indian food I had while in London recently, and some of the best I have ever had (top 5). The service was quick and sort of middling but honestly that's not why you are here. You are here for excellent food and that is what you will get. We had a mix of lamb, chicken, eggplant (wow!!), and tandoori mixed grill - and it was all excellent. We got a lamb dish that was quite spicy and hit the spot as well.

We queued outside for perhaps 20 minutes before being seated, which was just what we expected. While waiting we chatted up the owner, who is quite nice. This is a great place for Indian and I will return again! Yum!

Hi JPhilly,

I was delighted to read that you really enjoyed your recent review of the Punjab.

It was great to hear that you really enjoyed the selection of dishes you ordered especially the eggplant. Thank you for your patience in the queue and I'm happy that you enjoyed our conversation.

Please do come and see us again the next time you are in London

Md of the Punjab

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

My wife and I chanced upon the Punjab as we were walking the area north of Covent Garden, and, being early evening, were seated straight away even though we had no booking.

The food and service were very good, as was the Indian Sauvignon Blanc, and the tables for two were well spaced. On the slight downside, towards the end of our stay, we were aware of extra attention as things got cleared 'to give us more room'. That might have been the reason, but more likely, when we looked out, was the queue outside waiting to come in (!), so perhaps the slight pressure was understandable.

So, rather than leave these comments with that minor negative, which we took in our stride, let's take the queue as being a true reflection of the quality and obvious reputation of the Punjab. Sure it's not the cheapest, far from it, but given its location, it's fair value, and we'd certainly recommend it.

Hi GunnerGraham64,

Thank you for your recent review of the Punjab and thank you for your kind words regarding the food and Indian wine.

Please do come and visit us again the next time you are in Covent Garden

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Been in Punjab for dinner after reading that it was one of best Indian restaurants in London. I don’t know about that (been too short in London to find out), but the food is actually very good. We had butter chicken and Acharri Murgha with basmati rice and excellent naan. Restaurant was very crowded so we almoust didn’t find a space. Definitely worth trying.

Hi Dario Č,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write about your recent experience at the Punjab. I was delighted to read that you really enjoyed your butter chicken and acharri murgha.

Please do come and visit us again the next time you are in Covent Garden