“Exceptional, as always!”

Cuisines: Sushi, Asian, Japanese, Grill
Good for: Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Fitzrovia
Description: Dominated by the centrally located robata grill, fish, poultry, meat and vegetables are prepared in full view of diners at the surrounding counter and tables. During summer, outside tables are available for dining. The rustic yet contemporary interior is complemented by exotic hardwoods and contrasts with the thriving activity of the street outside, visible through floor to ceiling windows.
Reviewed May 2, 2017

I have had the opportunity to visit ROKA Charlotte street twice and both times have been a mindblowing gastronomical experience. Service is fast and you are out within two hours, it´s high-end "fast food" restaurant with plates arriving in a constant stream to indulge whilst enjoying cocktails, sake and fine wines.

When entering the restaurant you are faced with a simple dining room and an impressive Robata Grill that clearly is the heart of the restaurant, setting the temperature and the atmosphere. All of our waiters were charming and very knowledgeable and unless you have previous experience with Japanese food I sincerely recommend providing them with your budget and let them design your menu if you are not interested in the tasting menu. Sake is a peculiar taste, so if you prefer wine with your food (like me - we had a bottle of Sancerre) save it for dessert they have wonderful selection to choose from.

Food: We started with the yellowtail sashimi with yuzu-truffle dressing, a gorgeous and flavorful plate setting the bar high from the begging both times. then we had some Salmon and Tuna sashimi. Selection of sushi inc the wagu option which was lovely, rock shrimp tempura with chilli mayonnaise, black cod marinated in yuzu miso, 100gr wagyu beef - which was an experience in itself, was definitely the one dish I could have been without not because of the taste, it was seasoned and cooked to perfection. But I see little reason to have a small piece of meat when you can enjoy some of the much more flavourful dishes on the menu for a fraction of the price like the eryngii mushrooms and wasabi ponzu sauce or the seared beef with black truffle dressing which were amazing! And these are only a sample of all the dishes I have gotten to enjoy there, my second visit was my birthday and we were completely spoiled with a large dessert platter with my name written on it offering a sample of pretty much everything on the menu, homemade ice cream and fresh fruit. Finished off with a selection of Dessert Sakes we walked out of there a little poorer but a lot happier. One of my absolute favourite places in London.

Is it expensive, yes. Worth it? Definately! A must visit when in London.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,019)

Reviewed May 1, 2017

Made a 7pm reservation for 5 including clients. Have eaten here many times before and have seen service and food quality deteriorate. On this occasion they reminded me - 4 times - in front of my clients that i needed to give up the table by 9pm. At one point a waiter walked by and looked at his watch. I fully intended to leave by 9 but Roka made the dinner extremely uncomfortable. Never again.

1  Thank olson65
Reviewed April 29, 2017

I have been lucky enough to eat here a few times before, over the last few years and like any such place, you always wonder if it will be quite as good as you remember. Well Roka was as fantastic as ever. We couldn't choose from the mouth watering menu and so simply left the waitress to order for us and every dish that she selected was top class.
All 'washed down' with some lovely wine; it was every bit as pricey as you would expect (about £250 for 2 people), but you do not feel as if you are being overcharged. Just brilliant.

Reviewed April 27, 2017 via mobile

I was extremely keen to try Roka out with the Sakura theme, so my cousin found us a table at 6pm.

The food was average all round, they are highly priced with good presentation however the flavors don't live up to the expectation.

The service was good, however the waiters are continually trying to clean up the tables, almost rushing you. A waiter even asked if we could take the sushi of the serving tray so he could take the plate. I found that rather strange - the whole meal went by rather quickly.

The cocktails however are outstanding - really delicious, however for £12.50 i would expect nothing less.

The bill came to around £140 for three... not worth the price at all.

The decor was rather pretty - however it does look better in pics

Reviewed April 27, 2017

Wonderful experience start to finish. Helpful, enthusiastic staff - thank you, Sara Amara for your attention to detail and the education you provided to us about Shochu. Ate downstairs in the lounge - comfy benches & sofa seating. DJ a bit loud, but did not impede conversation - the music was great albeit too much bass. Go for the seasonal tasting menu - we did, for 2. Each course was fantastic from presentation to palate pleasing. Extensive saki menu. Dessert was stunning to behold and a perfect ending to a most satisfying meal. the evening was memorable and this spot is well worth another visit.