“Excellent gyoza!”

Cuisines: Sushi, Asian, Japanese, Grill
Good for: Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: Trafalgar Square / Embankment
Description: ROKA Aldwych, located moments from The Strand and minutes from Covent Garden and Somerset House, is the fourth ROKA to open in London, serving all the ROKA classic dishes alongside Japanese island-inspired cocktails. Set lunch and pre-theatre menus for £27 per person. Brunch served at weekends.
Reviewed September 4, 2016 via mobile

This was our third or fourth visit to Roka Aldwych, after having frequented its sister restaurant in Charlotte Street for many years. The food was, again, truly exceptional. We had miso, sushi, shrimp tempura, broccoli, asparagus, spicy beef, ribs and black cod for three. But the real highlight was gyoza with black cod and crab which was out of this world.

So, why not five stars? Booking is always a nightmare, with multiple sittings that makes it hard to get the time you want even with advance bookings. And, you get numerous email and text reminders that make it a highly commercial transaction. The place has a buzz, with a fun open kitchen with cooks sporting bandanas. But it has a slightly clinical feel to it, without much genuine warmth.

That said, great food and wonderful gyoza!

1  Thank Tim W

Reviewed September 4, 2016 via mobile

Just enjoyed a fabulous lunchtime treat. Great food, great service & very attentive staff. New to Japanese food so opted for simple 3 course set menu. Perfect. Only disappointment was our main courses didn't arrive together, but staff very apologetic & wasn't a problem. Would definitely do it again.

1  Thank Andy D
Reviewed September 3, 2016 via mobile

Food was great. Reminded me of similar restaurants in the states but the service was terrible, too terrible. Even poured my own sake since nobody bothered to serve me. Hostess was rude and dirty dishes stayed on the table for the whole meal.

Great food but terrible service is a restaurant I wouldn't return to.

1  Thank chadf305
Reviewed September 3, 2016 via mobile

This was my first experience at Roka.
My first impressions were that it was a nice place and staff greet me on entrance.
Starters were fast to arrive and quite a nice taste.
Prior to the main course arriving I was left waiting for over 30 minutes. My partner who was also with me had to wait an additional 10 minutes after my meal arrived.
Each meal was due to be served with rice, yet we had to remind the staff for the rice as they did not serve this with any of our main meals. Having noticed a couple of other customers near our table who also faced the same scenario with having to ask for rice (coincidence maybe? )
When they brought the rice it was one small bowl between my partner and myself !
Staff do not query if the meal is to your liking and noticed this occurred on other tables having observed.
I seen how staff were fine to add the optional 13.5 % service charge without saying anything to us when paying chip & pin. We declined the service charge under the circumstances.

Would NOT use this place again. Price/ quality and quantity is just not worth it and there are much more options of food around that area. Be aware!

Reviewed September 3, 2016

The food was really good! I have never been a fan of sushi, always scared to try it but when I did I loved it! Not sure about Sashimi, I tried it and was ok but Sushi is good for me to get use to for now! I had a Beef Sirloin for my main and it was one of the best i've ever had! I usually get well done and our waiter recommended medium, I said ok I will give it a chance - It was so lovely! Their flavours are really yummy! It came with a chilli spring onion seasame sauce, so good! Dessert was average I wasn't heavily excited by mine, I had a banana thing, my friend had a cheesecake and it was ok, they were not strong in flavours, very light. But the main and starters were perfect for me! Had a very interesting peanut butter flavour dressing salad too. Service was nice and the restaurant itself has a classic basic look, but classy. Would recommend to go here with a Bookatable/ Opentable deal, otherwise it is quite pricey. I had a 3 course meal with Bookatable at £35, was a good bargain!

1  Thank Salma H