“Excellent hotel---fascinating building”

Ranked #122 of 1,068 Hotels in London
Evanston, IL
“Excellent hotel---fascinating building”
Reviewed 28 March 2012

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at the Andaz Liverpool Street in March 2012. The staff are helpful; the complimentary organic juices and bottled waters in the guest room's minibar helped me to get over the dehydration of the trans-Atlantic flight from Chicago; and the extra-length soaking tub in the bathroom was relaxing after long days of walking to museums and markets. The wifi signal was strong in my 4th floor room, and there are many restaurants and pubs within an short walk of the hotel. Upon checkout, I found there was a mistaken breakfast charge on my bill, but there was no resistance at all from the desk staff to removing the charge from my statement. I'll definitely return to the Andaz when I want to stay again near East London and Bishopsgate.

I'm a bit of a history and architecture fanatic. The Andaz hotel is a very successful adaptation, IMO, of the Victorian hotel that was built in 1884 to serve the Liverpool Street Station of the Great Eastern Railway. During the 13th through 17th centuries, this block was part of the site of original St. Bethlehem Hospital, the world's first hospital for the mentally ill---and the origin of the word "bedlam".

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
AndazLiverpoolStreet, General Manager at Andaz London Liverpool Street, responded to this review, 30 March 2012
Thank you so much for the great comments following your stay with us this month. I am most pleased that you enjoyed your Andaz experience and to see all your facts about the history of hotel are right! We also have a Masonic Temple which was built in 1912 so next time, make sure you ask our Andaz Hosts to show you our secret room. I look forward to welcoming you back soon. Best wishes, Arnaud

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (367)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed 28 March 2012

The Andaz has a cool lobby and the check in via iPad is fancy. I can't give a statement to the gym and other hotel facilities neither to the breakfast (it wasn't included in the price of £ 190.-- without VAT, which was a bit of a disapointment.
The room was nothing exceptional, meaning it's not better or worse than rooms of one of the other big hotel chains. If you get offered a 3rd floor room with a odd 30 number ask for an onther one. The 'window' faces into the hotel (onto the bar).
One strange thing was the toilet. It's one of those water saving types (not that water saving is bad) which made a huge noise while flushing (kind of sucked the water down). It's not just loud in your own room, it's also loud in your neighbours room. And one last thing - but this is really personal - I can't stand toilets without a toilet brush (same problem in the Soho Hotel).
If your main destination is an office in the city the location is nearly perfect. Even for a more holiday type of stay it isn't too bad. Metro just opposite the entrance, Spitalfields, Brick Lane & Shoreditch within walking distance.
But overall - taking the price in account - I was a little bit disapointet.

Room Tip: Not a odd 33x room and I assume also no odd 43x, 53x ....
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay here at Andaz Liverpool Street. I am pleased to read you liked the check-in and welcoming process. Our Health Club is available to all our resident guests and is included in the rate. Make sure you take a look next time while staying with us as our gym is in a former Egyptian Temple. The toilets are eco-friendly by using 80% less water than a traditional toilet so they can be slightly noisier than any regular system however I will forward your comments to our Engineering Team with regards to the noise level. Thanks again and I do hope we will be able to welcome you back to Andaz Liverpool Street in the near future. Best wishes, Arnaud
Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed 28 March 2012

I stayed one night at the Andaz Hotel in Liverpool Street. I was very lucky to be upgraded to a mini suite (approx 100 sqm)
Phenomenal, 2 tv, one sitting area, large bedroom, enormous bed (super king size). All was extremely pleasent. From the check in done electronically with individuals welcoming you upon your entrance in the hotel, with I pads .to the glass of wine offered at check in. The room was very well maintained, calm (eventhough on the 1st floor and on Liverpool Street.
Good assortment at the minibar with all non alcoholic drinks free of charge and finally a complimentary bottle of french wine.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
Thank you so much for choosing to stay here at Andaz Liverpool Street. I am really pleased to read you had such an enjoyable experience and very much look forward to welcoming you back very soon. Best wishes, Arnaud
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 March 2012

We have just returned from a wonderful week-end at the Andaz Hotel. It is a very different location for us but it surpassed our expectation. We were greeted on arrival by a member of staff with an i-pad and we were offered a drink whilst the check in was taking place. We were then escorted to our room which was ready on our arrival and shown all the features of the room which was fairly large and spotless. We were also told all soft drinks were included for our entire stay either from downstairs or the fridge in our room.
The breakfast was excellent and the staff could not do enough for us. The area was very new to us but was excellent as it was only a two minute walk from Liverpool Street station and only took 10 minutes on the tube to Oxford Circus. There were also many different restaurants nearby without having to walk too far.
It was 10 out of 10 for us and a hotel which we will certainly return to in the not too distant future.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Elaine L
AndazLiverpoolStreet, General Manager at Andaz London Liverpool Street, responded to this review, 29 March 2012
Thank you so much for the fantastic review of your recent stay here at Andaz Liverpool Street. I am so pleased you enjoyed your experience with us and to read you will return in the near future. On behalf of the Andaz Team, I look forward to welcoming you back soon. Best wishes, Arnaud
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 20 March 2012

I really enjoyed this hotel - the location is great. In the past it has been the place where everyone in my company stayed. The last time I was there I stayed for two weeks and did not have any complaints. The reason I give it only an average rating is because it seems they are unwilling to extend an appropriately discounted corporate rate for our company and thus will lose all of our business. Unfortunately, they did not seem to care when our company representative asked for a better corporate rate due to our years of loyalty. So ... it seems that neither I nor anyone else from our company will be staying at the Andaz again. It appears to be a bad business decision to me. Alas, there are plenty of other 4-5 star hotels in the immediate area which I am sure will be happy to win our continued business for years to come. Goodbye Andaz - it was nice.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
AndazLiverpoolStreet, General Manager at Andaz London Liverpool Street, responded to this review, 23 March 2012
Thank you for the feedback following your recent stay with us. I was very pleased to read that you enjoyed your Andaz stay so of course we would very much like to have the opportunity to welcome you and your colleagues back to the hotel. Should a company reach a minimum annual room night threshold with their accommodation requirements our team can certainly investigate booking options for you. Please do have your Travel Manager reach out to our sales team at the hotel and they will certainly look into this further. Thank you again and we hope to see you at Andaz in the near future. Best, Arnaud.
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 19 March 2012

I was so impressed with the hotel's facilities, but most importantly the service. The very unique check-in experience with the iPad's, the lack of a typical front desk, and the staff walking towards me and asking if they could help were all very special features of excellent customer service. My son and I had a wonderful time in London, and of the three hotels that we stayed in during our trip to London/Dublin, the Andaz was by far the most exceptional.

The guest room was spacious, contemporary, and comfortable.

All of the staff were very well trained in how to provide unique and special customer service.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Michael Z
AndazLiverpoolStreet, General Manager at Andaz London Liverpool Street, responded to this review, 20 March 2012
Thank you so much for choosing to stay here at Andaz Liverpool Street. I am so pleased to read your comments and most importantly to read how much you appreciated the level of service provided by our fantastic staff. I will make sure your feedback is passed on to the rest of the team. In the meantime, I look forward to welcoming you back very soon. Best, Arnaud.
South London, England
Reviewed 14 March 2012

I dont often stay in London hotels as I am resident in the city and live in zone 1 so never really need to, however I decided to treat myself as it was the night of my Hen do. My mum and sister in law were staying in London and arriving into Liverpool St so I thought it would be nice to join them in the hotel. On arriving I was greeted as soon as I stepped into the lobby, check-in was swift but not rushed and I was offered a hot drink as my details were being taken. At my leisure I was taken to my room and shown the facilities. I ordered room service which was a little pricey but then thats what you expect in a hotel, it was tasty and a good portion size. There was a little hiccup while I was eating as one of the staff members let herself into my room thinking it was vacant and she had a guest with her! She was extremely apologetic and when I checked-out the following day the room service bill had been waived which was a nice gesture.
The room was great, very comfy bed, well appointed, Bose sound dock, fluffy towels, nice bathroom and complimentary soft drinks in the mini bar. All in all I really enjoyed my stay at The Andaz and would be easily persuaded to treat myself again!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Cobby202
AndazLiverpoolStreet, General Manager at Andaz London Liverpool Street, responded to this review, 16 March 2012
Thanks for choosing to stay at Andaz Liverpool Street for your "staycation" in London! I am really pleased to read you enjoyed your time with us so much and on behalf of the Andaz Team, I very much look forward to welcoming you again soon. Best, Arnaud.