“Best Scones in London ”

Afternoon Tea at The Lanesborough
Ranked #1,442 of 25,288 Restaurants in London
Price range: US$59 - US$85
Neighbourhood: Belgravia
Description: Served daily in either the majestic surroundings of Céleste or the elegant Withdrawing Room, afternoon tea at The Lanesborough is an occasion to be treasured. Enjoy freshly baked scones, velvety clotted cream, home-made fruit preserves and intricately prepared pastries – all hand-crafted by our masterful pastry chefs.
Reviewed April 4, 2018 via mobile

We have had the formal afternoon tea in the dining room and a more relaxed tea with just scones and tea in the lobby parlor. Both were excellent and provide options based on your group. I have tried a few of the “top rated” teas around London and these are simply the best scones in London. If you love scones, you must check out the Lanesborough!

LanesboroughTeam, Managing Director at Afternoon Tea at The Lanesborough, responded to this reviewResponded April 10, 2018

Dear W6Raven,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review.

It is a delight to see that you find the Lanesborough's scones the best in London. The pastry team put a lot of time and effort into the afternoon tea and so are truly grateful so see your feedback.

We hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed April 2, 2018

I have waited a couple of weeks before writing this review as I needed to think more about it. It is certainly a beautiful room where the afternoon tea is served and the welcome is warm. We had very comfortable seats on a lovely sofa. The waiting staff were efficient but there did not seem to be any one or two waiting staff assigned to our table which I think would have been preferable. The food was very nice and served attractively. Unfortunately, my champagne was a bit flat but my husband said he would drink it and we did a swap. His was fine. My husband's tea was a bit weak but he was OK with it. I am sure if he had asked he could have got a stronger pot of tea. We were not offered any more food but we did not want any anyway and, to be fair, I think if we had asked it would have been forthcoming. I was drinking coffee and I was offered another cup. There was a pianist playing and that was very nice. All in all, it was an enjoyable experience but not an amazing one. Perhaps I am being a bit unfair as I would be quite happy going back here for another afternoon tea or maybe lunch. Incidentally, my husband enjoyed the experience immensely and would give it an "excellent" score.

Dear BrendaS1947,

Thank you for taking time out to share your review.

I am glad to see that you received a warm welcome and enjoyed the comfortable ambiance and experience. I am however sorry to hear that you did not fully enjoy your whole afternoon tea expereience at Céleste. Your feedback is greatly appreciated and will be shared with our Executive Head of Food and Beverage to enhance and improve future experiences.

I do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to Céleste again soon, and I can assure that we will do our utmost to make sure that your next visit is flawless.

Best regards,

Geoffrey A. Gelardi

Reviewed March 28, 2018

We put our coats into the free cloakroom, were seated in a stunningly beautiful room with a stool by my seat for my handbag/valuables which was rather nice, and asked if we would like still or sparkling water, we replied no thank-you and heard nothing more for 15 minutes which seemed odd as there were very few customers. We then ordered the afternoon tea for 2 as per our booking, we were asked if we were vegan/vegetarian or had any food allergies. The Tea was brought out in lovely silverware and my cup was instantly filled to the top, which doesn't allow for the tea/infusion to brew!

Tea bags were used and not tea leaves which surprised me for a 5 Star Hotel. The sandwiches were delicate and delicious but due to the way they were cut the coronation chicken had spread over all the other sandwiches, impairing the delicate flavours of cream cheese, smoked salmon etc. with curry, We were offered a second plate of sandwiches which had the same problem.

The scones and small patisserie were faultless and delicious. The Piano player didn't arrive for around an hour into our tea which was disappointing. It was a relaxed atmosphere and we enjoyed ourselves but I expected more from The Lanesborough. All small gripes would have been forgotten if it wasn't for the coronation chicken problem. The chef needs to clean his knife between cuts.

Dear Organic_Jayne,

Thank you for taking the time to review your afternoon tea experience at Céleste.

I am pleased to see that you enjoyed the ambiance of your afternoon tea expereince and would like to extend apologies for the method in which our kitchen team cut the sandwiches and the speed at which your tea was served. Your feedback is greatly appreciated and has been shared with the Executive Head of Food and Beverage, the Kitchen Team and the Restaurant Manager.

It is a delight to see that following this the small patisserie's were "delicious" and "faultless". The pastry team work extremely hard to create exciting treats to tantalize all taste buds so will highly appreciate this feedback.

We do hope that the coronation chicken and tea did not impact your overall impression of The Lanesborough and that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed March 18, 2018 via mobile

When the hotel opened after the refurbishment, the afternoon tea used to be one of the best in London. A wide variety of beautiful pastries were served. Now you get about half of the selection which are not as good. Huge disappointment.

LanesboroughTeam, Managing Director at Afternoon Tea at The Lanesborough, responded to this reviewResponded March 26, 2018

Dear OneBigPenguin,

Thank you for taking the time to share your afternoon tea review.

I am sorry to read that you found the afternoon tea on this occasion a huge disappointment. Your feedback is invaluable as it helps us to further enhance the guest experience and therefore, we welcome an opportunity to resolve this by contacting us directly at info@lanesborough.com for the attention of our Executive Head of Food and Beverage.

We hope this has not deterred you and hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed March 10, 2018 via mobile

Fairly disappointed to be honest we attended here for Valentine’s Day afternoon Tea, the venue of course is very pretty but service just wasn’t up to scratch on my opinion high priced for nothing majorly exquisite , food bland highlight for me was the tea sadly

Dear Teeeeeeeeee1,

Thank you for taking time out to share your feedback.

I am sorry to see that you had a disappointing afternoon tea experience on Valentine's Day and I welcome the opportunity to resolve this by contacting us directly on info@lanesborough.com for the attention of our Executive Head of Food and Beverage.

Yours sincerely,

Managing Director

Been to Afternoon Tea at The Lanesborough? Share your experiences!