“My first visit”
Review of Nanban Brixton

Nanban Brixton
Ranked #3,623 of 25,280 Restaurants in London
Price range: US$13 - US$46
Description: Nanban - Japanese Soul Food restaurant in Brixton, London SW9 8LF with MasterChef winner Tim Anderson. Ramen Izakaya and Cocktail Bar.
Reviewed April 4, 2018 via mobile

After a cold welcoming we sit upstairs and we order,
Starter interesting combination between carabina flavour and Japanese but it was missing all the lightness of Japanese food , okra in tempura wet in their oil.
Main course I had the Imperial rice , it was totally burn and after lunch long time without anyone come in my table finally I spoke with waiter about this..... he come back with the full bill to paid without any explanation about my rice .
I have to asked again about the rice so he went back in the kitchen and the chef admitted than it was burned!
The best thing they didn’t remove from the bill!!!!they said to me they couldn’t!!aahaha
Fantastic but never again!

Reviewed March 31, 2018

The service was good especially our waiter Lee. The food was enjoyable but nothing like authentic Japanese according to one of our party who had lived in Japan.

Reviewed March 26, 2018

very nice food and a very correct price.
I took the jackfruits and tuna poke, it was delicious.
don't hesitate

Reviewed March 21, 2018

As this is owned by a master chef winner I expected great things but was very disappointed. We went for a selection of small plates but everything was deep fried and tasteless. As plantain is a little lacking in taste anyway I expected it to have a good piquant sauce but it tasted of nothing and the tempura was made with some bland white vegetable and was thick with batter. The only thing that was OK was the chicken. The decor upstairs was cold and soulless too with strange booths for 4 the backs of which created a barrier to other diners meaning that those of us on a table for 2 felt as if we were in a corridor. I would not go back.

1  Thank melw12342014
Reviewed March 18, 2018 via mobile

I went here with my sister expecting it to be good, it really wasn't. I had the Brixton market tempura (oyster mushrooms) which was so think in better it was impossible to taste any mushroom. Then I had the kumamoto ramen and ordered and extra onsen egg. It sounded amazing on the menu, was so disappointing. It had no flavour and the eggs were so cold it must of just come out of the fridge. There is much better ramen at so many other places. Don't bother with Nanban.