“Don't expect too much but not a bad price”
Review of Highfield Hotel

Highfield Hotel
Ranked #9 of 11 Hotels in Middlesbrough
Reviewed 26 September 2017 via mobile

This place has your basics, some things they get right, for instance, beautiful fluffy white towels, nice breakfast, very accommodating staff, but some things are awful. Bed really uncomfortable, thread bare carpet, could be cleaner. We only paid £75 for 2 nights so suffered the sleepless nights and achey back. They need to look at putting the little things right, then it would be more pleasant.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 19 September 2017 via mobile

Went down to visit friends and by the photos on website thought it would be a nice place to stay How Wrong was i the place is in desperate need of repair check in was suppose to be 2pm there was no one on reception they focus more on the bar side of the business we got to the room and wow not one positive thing to say was on top floor with two children it was awful dated and unkept one part of the floor between the beds it was only the carpet that held it up not one of the bedbases matched the double base had a hole in it bathroom needed much attention and the service at breakfast was terrible and food and pot of tea that was served was cold and un eatable my advise to anyone dont stay here wish i could have got my money back

Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 September 2017 via mobile

Stayed here Friday-Sunday with 2 friends. Check in was easy enough and the staff were pleasant. The hotel itself is a bit old fashioned but in my opinion I think it works. Our rooms were on the second floor, where I noticed the ceiling in the hallway were mouldy - someone had clearly tried to paper over it to no avail.

The rooms were nice enough, not huge but not tiny. The bathroom was nice and modern but the bath could have been doing with being re-grouted. The beds were beyond uncomfortable, woke up in the morning aching (not great since I have a bad back). But we powered through as we were only there for two nights.

The bar area was nice enough, not exactly cheap but definitely not expensive. Fast service and friendly staff. Bar shuts at half 11 though which I thought was quite early for a Friday night.

Breakfast in the morning was mediocre. A choice of 4 cereals and fresh orange juice. There was no menu for cooked breakfasts - we were told they only served toast, a full English or something similar (e.g. a roll with egg and bacon). My toast was really burnt when I got it, chose not to make a fuss though as there was only 1 member of staff on the floor who seemed really rushed and stressed.

Overall I'd say it was decent value for money, however I'd probably opt for a brand hotel such as Travelodge next time we head down.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank nic1997
Reviewed 15 September 2017 via mobile

Called in on an off chance and we were pleasantly surprised . The pub is large , comfortable and clean and tidy. We had a Scampi and a roast beef meal off the main courses with some complimentary chicken legs as a starter , and the food was good . Good service aswell , and I didn't get his name , but the male server was very attentive and enthusiastic. ....overall a good experience!

Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 August 2017

This is the second time in a month that we have visited here! The first time was a Saturday night, and we will not return. It was karaoke night, and all i can say is that the clientele must have been dragged in. The amount of swearing, and bad behaviour was unreal. It was very intimidating, especially as it was my partners birthday. It took ages to be served at the bar too.
The second visit was Sunday 27th August. We had been busy all day and decided to eat in here.... never again!
Again it took ages to be served, even though it was fairly quiet. I agree there had been a christening party in the function room, but that should not hamper the bar service. We ordered food, and we were totally disappointed. The burger i had ordered was like a child's portion, the fries were rock hard and snapped when i put my fork in them. For the price of the food, we both left hungry. Not what we expected for the price. The food was placed in front of us, and no one came back to see if everything was ok. We had no salt on the table, and cutlery etc came in a silver bucket with the food.
The was an empty drug packet in the toilet when i visited and i quickly took a photo of it. The toilets felt like they weren't well managed. After our meal, the bar staff seemed to just disappear and when they returned weren't interested. There was a small girl on the bar that looked at my partner waiting to be served, and carried on walking never to be seen again for ten minutes.
We fell this place is over priced (food wise/portions), uninterested staff, and very poor choice of people from outside drinking in there. We really feel it is somewhere we wont return to, which is such a shame as we had our commitment ceremony there 14 years ago and this place has always held a place in our hearts.

Room Tip: Avoid this hotel, locals are loud and very vocal with their swearing! Very very cliquey!
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 August 2017

The hotel, bar area and well decorated and the staff are very helpful and friendly. The bedroom was clean but needed to be re decorated, although the bathroom looked quite new. On the down side the toilet seat was loose which we reported so hopefully that we be fixed for the next people staying and there was a lor of mould on the bathroom ceiling.
Food was good and very reasonably priced.

Room Tip: Some down stairs rooms look out onto the beer garden so privacy is limited unless the curtains are d...
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 August 2017 via mobile

I stayed here 4th to the 7th August. Paid full amount in advance. When i returned home a further £40.00 was taken out of my account. The hotel has admitted this was a mistake however, three weeks later and I still haven't received the refund.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Middlesbrough
1.7 km away
0.6 km away
Longlands Hotel
Longlands Hotel
#7 of 11 in Middlesbrough

Been to Highfield Hotel? Share your experiences!