“Great hotel - deal with confidence”

and 1 more site!
Marlborough Guest House
Ranked #9 of 86 Norwich B&B and Inns
Stockholm
“Great hotel - deal with confidence”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2011

We stayed at Marlborough House Hotel one night for the Norwich City v Bristol City game. The hotel is situated very close to the city center but with a quite location. After having parked for free at the hotels park yard we were met by Robert, the son of the owner and a truly nice man. He was a bit surprised that we were Bristol City fans :) We were given a twin on the first floor (room 5) which was really nice. Beds were fine, towels and soap provided for. Breakfast a good English one. I would say the hotel is well above average for the price you pay. It's far from a dump. More the other way around to be fair. Deal with confidence.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank BristolC

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
birmingham
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2011

We have to disagree with the previous reviews.
Two of our engineers stayed here last night and were most impressed by the accomodation and the owners.
The rooms were comfortable and the breakfast fantastic;as they commented "one of the best they have stayed in"Thank You Robert for your hospitality,next time we are in the area we will be back.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank robertaBirmingham
Leighton Buzzard, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2010

Accomodation was OK for the money and I just had toast for breakfast.

BUT....

Customer service was non-existent. I had got some food from home and asked if I could warm up my food for 2 mins and I was told 'We have a microwave but you can't use it'.

I wanted to confirm with my husband on the phone if the money was paid as the bloke at the reception told me that there was no payment. He got all irritated and started talking about trust etc... I just wanted to confirm if payment had gone through .. what a headache!!

When I got my card out to make the payment he slammed the machine in front of me Very very rude!!! not what I call customer service. I felt so humilated..

• Stayed December 2010, travelled on business
4 Thank drenv
London
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2010

Reading the other reviews, I can't believe that I stayed in the same place. Granted, the staff were friendly (the owner's son I think), but the room I stayed in was grubby, with a lack of furniture (one whicker chair) and a pokey shower room. No toiletries were provided, and the bed was sagging and had seen better days. Hotel was also very noisey, with people coming and going at all hours. Also, there were a couple of, what appeared to be, prostitutes hanging around on the corner of the road. This is obviously NOTHING to do with the hotel, but just be wary of staying in this area if you are thinking of going with a family.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled solo
2 Thank Joester
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2010

We stayed 2 nights here. The B&B actually occupies 2 buildings, the one shown on the photo on the website, and the one next door, which is signed as the Norfolk House hotel. The dining room stretches between the two sets of stairs.

We were told they have recently become listed on booking.com, and as a result, have begun accepting cards (not sure which type, I paid cash). When I looked at booking.com, they did not have availability for a double room for the nights we needed. But when I phoned them, they had availability. I suspect it was because they were willing to rent a triple room as a double at short notice (which was the situation). A person can make this decision, but the computer could not.

The room was spacious as it included an extra bed. There was an electric shower in the bathroom, and tea/coffee facilities. It was clean, but not a high end B&B, in terms of decor. There is an old tube TV, with over-air channels; again, not high-end, but perfectly satisfactory. The price reflects this. There is wi-fi, which worked in the room. We had a bit of trouble getting on. But, after a while, it worked fine.

The cooked breakfast is good, using quality ingredients. The location is handy for the railway station, and the town centre is not much further. A friendly, good place to stay, if you accept that the surroundings are not fancy, but satisfactory, and it is priced accordingly. The soundproffing between rooms is not great, but it was not a problem for us - and it included one weekend night.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Donard
Hong Kong
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 October 2009

I am a Norwich City fans from Hong Kong since 1992, I start to travel to Norwich since 2002, and every time i just stay in Marlborough House Hotel. 5 minutes walk to Carrow Road, the home of Norwich City, and only 3 minutes walk to the railway station!

More importantly is the owner Eddy, and his son Robert are super nice man, and while I stay in Marlborough House Hotel, I just feel liked I am staying at my home in Hong Kong! I was even invited being the guest of Robert's birthday party, and get a few drinks and food, which is very very nice from Robert. The TV lounge, with 3 big sofa will make you extremely comfortable to watch football game.

The breakfast is brilliant too with top quality eggs, bacon and sausages, especially the sausages are top class. Unlimited toast and tea to provide and honestly, I don't need to have lunch after I take the breakfast, because I am too full! Also it is easy to get KFC or pizza near the hotel, just about 10 minutes walk. Morrisons is also 10 minutes walk too.

I won't be in Norwich this year but surely in the future, I must stay in Marlborough House Hotel -- the best hotel in Norfolk!

• Stayed October 2008, travelled solo
1 Thank XXL16
Surbiton
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2009

We have stayed at the Marlborough House many times over the years. The staff have always been very courteous and helpful, and the variety of accommodations has suited small and large group visits. We arrived late, found Sandy at the desk expecting us and ready with rooms to suit our specific family needs.

The rooms were clean and tidy and the bed was like a fluffy cloud. We all sleep very well. We had a full english breakfast with all the trimmings.

We had no plans on where to go in Norfolk and got a full tourist guide by Robert who told us where to go and what to do.

We also felt the owners Eddy and Maria made us feel part of the family. Would recommend to anyone who is visiting Norwich and would like to stay in a hotel which has a real friendly family feel to it.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with family