“Pleasantly surprised ”

The Star Inn The Harbour
Reserve with OpenTable
The Star Inn The Harbour is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #65 of 225 Restaurants in Whitby
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Visiting Whitby we had booked 3 restaurants and visited here on our second night. What a night! Pouring with rain and winds of 60 mph. Whitby looked forlorn, the restaurant, however, was a delight. Pleasant staff and good food. The mussels I had to start were in total contrast to the vacuum packed variety available from supermarkets, plump and juicy they were excellent as was the lobster I had for the main course. Fairly reasonably priced, would certainly visit again if I can ever pluck up the courage to visit Whitby again.

1  Thank Paladin5

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

My husband and I decided to go here to celebrate our 32 wedding anniversary....so booked for lunch.
It was pouring with rain and we arrived a little early, but excellent welcome by staff on arrival, who took our coats (after a little prompt) .
The Sunday lunch menu is shorten slightly, but there are specials as well and excellent value for a restaurant of this standard at £22 for 2 courses and £28 for 3 courses.
Choice of 7 starters, 7 main courses ( plus specials), 4 desserts.
The food was superb...I opted to have two starters because I didnt want a full main course but this was no problem.
Gravadlax of Beetroot and Dill Cured Salmon.....mouthwatering
Hubby had Devilled Whitebait...followed by haddock and chips.
No rushing, just a lovely laid back lunch.

1  Thank AngieJS20
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Me and my husband came this evening for my birthday and we weren't disappointed. This was on a shortlist of 2 that I wanted to visit and as the other place was closed, we came here. I'm very glad we got to come. The food was fantastic. Highly recommend the pigs in blankets (I had as a starter) and the salted caramel and dark chocolate delice was amazing (you need to be a big chocolate and sweet fan!) I had the lobster thermidor and my husband had surf n snout. Both were amazing but the pork belly was to die for.

1  Thank Karina D
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

My sister and I enjoyed a fabulous dinner, she is coeliac and often very limited as to what she can safely eat. We were informed by our excellent waiter, that most items on the menu could be cooked gluten free. She had mussels for starter, the portion was so generous that it could have been served as a main course! Our main course was belly pork, cooked perfectly with a light and crispy surface, with scallops. We made an error in both ordering sides of chips cooked in lard (divine) and a portion of minted mushy peas. We both have good appetites but struggled to eat it all. A great evening and thanks to the very excellent staff.

1  Thank bigleggy
Reviewed October 14, 2018

Right on the side of the harbour, by Captain Cook’s ‘Resolution’, this is a great spot to have lunch in Whitby. Pleasant modern restaurant, with acceptably good food, and very good service. To be fair it was fairly quiet on the day we went, but the staff were attentive, and there was nothing wrong with the food - we didn’t actually have the (almost compulsory) fish and chips, but elected to have mussels and chips, and they were very good. Prices are reasonable, given it is a tourist location, and the house wine was ok too. Pleasant ambience and clean toilets too.

1  Thank oldfart2014