All reviews swing bridge whitby scampi lovely pub watch the world overlooking the harbour new owners great position central location short stay goth weekend visiting whitby family room lovely room breakfast was delicious couldn't do enough toast full english
Reviewed April 4, 2018 via mobile

Extremely poor communication prior to our stay - emails not replied to, phone calls not replied to & room requests not met despite having been promised that they would when we finally got through in the phone to speak to someone who was supposedly part of the management team.
Our request for an additional bed was not met - our booking & request for a stay in March 2018 had been made in August 2017 - surely adequate time for management to sort??? A superior room had been booked but not provided! The room we did see was dirty as was the bar area. We didn’t even get as far as checking in - what more can I say!!!
Management was extremely poor and not visible/available! The bar staff, however, were pleasant despite being rushed off their feet - better customer skills than the ‘manager’ when she finally appeared.
Needless to say we won’t be returning & wouldn’t recommend.

2  Thank HonestReviewers
Reviewed March 29, 2018 via mobile

The Dolphin Hotel is the worst, dirtiest, poorest level of service I have ever had the misfortune of experiencing. Upon arrival, after leaving our home in Sussex at 4am and arriving at the “hotel”’ I was charged £85 for a room. We walked up two flights of stairs past windows covered in bird excrement to open the door, covered in scratches, to a blast of heat beyond what you can begin to imagine. It was unbearable. When we managed to get past the door, the dirt was everywhere. Desperate for the toilet after such a long journey, I decided to brave the bathroom... Filthy is an understatement. Dust everywhere, mud up the sides of the skirting board, mirror and shower covered in marks, and shock, more dust. I went back into the bedroom and saw nothing was plugged in (probably an attempt to make you not realise the state of the place) again, dust and HAIR everywhere. I mean everywhere. Beds not properly made, plasterboard on the carpets where a mirror had fallen off and they obviously hadn’t vacuumed. When I attempted to open the window due to the unbearable heat I faced an issue - the frame wouldn’t allow the window to move. I had to drain dirty water out of the kettle so that I could hit it against the window frame to open it. Expecting a refreshing breeze to flow through the window, I was met by a cloud of thick dust (which, as an asthmatic was particularly unpleasant) that was from the top of the window - I might add that it was so dirty that when I closed the window as I had had enough and was in my way to speak to someone, yet another cloud of filth met my already suffering lungs.

The manager is patronising, un helpful and has left us with no where to stay. On a visit that commemorates a year since we scattered my uncles ashes here in Whitby.

Utterly disappointed. Disgusting service and to top it off, when asking for the Managers name I was told that she did not need to disclose this information to us. Complete and utter joke. Jade Barnes as we eventually established her name is, should most definitely not be working in any customer service environment.

I am absolutely heart broken at the devastating experience we’ve had.

Avoid at all costs.

6  Thank Jack R
Reviewed March 26, 2018

Dropped in here for a bit of dinner, Should not have bothered had to send it back, Staff where very friendly and refunded us with any quibble but I would give the place a miss if you fancy some food the Angel across the bridge is much better.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank BusinessChap
Reviewed March 11, 2018

Staff were very friendly, helping wherever necessary. Overall a very good hotel, central to everything going on in Whitby. Meals are very full and excellent value and the views from most of the rooms of the harbour and its surroundings are excellent if the weather isn't too clever or you just don't want to go out. Will certainly go there again.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed March 9, 2018 via mobile

We popped in for lunch, never been before but we chanced it with 4 hungry kids in tow.
The dining room is warm and comfortable with great views.
We waited about half an hour for our meals to arrive, wow... Every single dish was amazing, all fresh, great portions and so tasty.
We chuckled at the fish finger sandwiches one our daughters had ordered, it was huge, like a full fish between bread, very generous indeed.
Everything was spot on, even the side salad and a scrummy dressing.
My lasagna was AMAZING.
Staff was friendly and helpful.
Recommend 100%
Was the best meal of our two week stay in the area. Thank you