2,842 results
All reviews spa facilities brace restaurant executive room poachers bar steam room golf buggy hunters restaurant turn down service the main hotel main hall underfloor heating every member of staff luxury hotel first class small balcony birthday treat relaxing break
Reviewed February 23, 2016

Areas to improve:
a) The receptionist didn't bother to point out that there was a lift, even after I asked the question 'do I have to climb up these stairs with my suitcase'. I also telephoned as the postcode when entered into my TomTom took me to a different place. I was told that this happend often, in which case something should be done about it (for example the GPS co-ordinates being provided on the hotel website and the fact that the post code take drivers to a wrong location being highlighted.

b) The difference in the various buidings and the pros / cons of each (such as spa and pool being in only one building) needs to be made clear, as I wasn't infomed of this when I boked through the SLH group. Would not stay in the Keep in the future as the main reason we picked this hotel was for the in-door pool. It is not fun to go out in the cold to get to your room during winter, straight after a warm swim.

c) Squashing the kids time in the pool into two 2hr windows each day (10 to noon and 4 to 6pm) leads to chaos, as kids using the pool is not spread-out over the day. This should not be the case during school hoidays (e.g. half term), as the hotel is mainly occupied by families with kids.

On the plus side, the breakfast was excellent as the warm items were made to order and the location is great.

Had this hotel been not a member of the Small Luxury Hotels (SLH) group, I would have given it four stars, however, being part of this club, demands more. Which is what I have experienced from other member hotels around the world.

Room tip: If you need to use the pool / spa, get a room in the main building.
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank Dinesh K
Reviewed February 21, 2016 via mobile

Very nice hotel, staff very pleasant and helpful, beautiful bedrooms but ours was on the end ( 310 ) and we heard noise from presumably the kitchen below late at night and early morning without opening a window so no lie in for us after a late night! But the breakfast was well worth getting up for it was lovely

Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed February 20, 2016 via mobile

Professional knowledgable attentive staff that just couldn't do enough for you. We were lucky enough to get Pheasant cottage a top spec fully equipped 3 bedroom cottage which was outstanding. The spa was clean and beautifully finished. Enjoy it all we did

2  Thank Karen S
Reviewed February 19, 2016

Booked into the Keep and stopped in a very pleasant room (1112) with a hint of a sea view, but you wouldn't be able to see the sea once there are leaves on the trees. It was a quite room with a balcony, shared between 3 rooms. The room itself was clean and tidy with a huge bed. However the bed itself was a little firm for my liking but my wife slept comfortable enough. The ensuite was spotless and well stocked with shampoos, conditioner, body wash and body lotion together with a shower cap! Tea and coffee making facilities were in the room, but this is the only negative, there was only one biscuit for two! Only one peppermint tea, and only one sachet of earl grey, not good for two people with similar tastes. The breakfast was very good and served over a decent time span, 7-10am. We didn't make use of any of the other facilities, spa, pool etc or even the restaurant as we ate out in the evening in Whitby, only 5 miles away. The hotel is set in lovely grounds that I should imagine are beautiful in the summer time with an easy stroll down to the beach. A little expensive but it was a treat.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed February 19, 2016

Claims to be a "luxury" hotel but did not live up to expectations. Over priced. For the price, I wouldn't expect cheap bathroom wall tiles, badly finished grouting and badly fitted tap in en suite, cheap laminate flooring, or cold precooked bacon and sausages served by slow and inefficient staff at breakfast time. Decided against the restaurant for our evening meal as the whole place sadly lacked character and atmosphere. I've also been charged TWICE and still waiting for the manager to deal with my complaint. Very disappointing.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple