“Just the place for a treat”
Review of Hunters Lounge

Hunters Lounge
Ranked #90 of 226 Restaurants in Whitby
Cuisines: Seafood
Description: Hunters bar and restaurant serves breakfast, lunch and afternoon tea within The Keep. With its high vaulted glass atrium roof, The Keep boasts natural daylight and a modern, contemporary design. Hunters bar is ideal for pre-dinner cocktails or a glass from our whiskey and bourbon range.
Reviewed June 15, 2018

Stayed there many times always enjoy it. Good rooms, decent spa facilities, great breakfast, wonderful setting.

Reviewed June 8, 2018 via mobile

I had high hopes for this afternoon tea as it looked spectacular on the website and with a minimum price tag of £21 (double what I usually pay for it at any local cafe) I really thought it would be something special. Unfortunately I was let down. The sandwiches were nice (even though I had asked for ham and my sister had asked for smoked salmon) which she was looking forward to, they came out as ham / cucumber. Don’t know why my sister didn’t get her ordered smoke salmon but anyway.
Moving on to the scones.. they were not freshly made that day, clearly had been reheated in the oven for a few minutes as they were stale inside and rock hard on the outside. A tiny stingy pit of clotted cream was provided with them and 2 pots of jam (no chopped strawberries) which you might expect to receive given the price tag.
You would hope the desserts / cakes would be considerably better? The raspberry jelly pot had raspberries on it that were green and mouldy. At this point I was really starting to get annoyed. I could of got a nice fillet steak at a pub for the price I paid for this below average afternoon tea. It certainly didn’t reflect the ‘quality and luxury’ as portrayed on the website. I took my mouldy raspberries to the waiter and explained. He seemed confused as to what to do, took it away and then came back to ask me if I wanted another one, I said yes please. So eventually another one came (baring in mind the restaurant area had 3 other tables of 2 dining at the same time) all paying £21 PP, is it that hard to supervise the quality of food leaving the kitchens? What on earth would they of turned out had the restaurant been remotely busy? Considering 8 people were dining for afternoon teas., that’s £168 minimum for 8 lots of tiny average sandwiches, stale scones.. and mouldy raspberries, the macaron was nice, tasteless choice pastry with tasteless chocolate mousse in it and a carrot cake I by this point couldn’t be bothered to eat. Certainly nothing grabbed my tastebuds and gave me a huge smile. I will stick to the value for money and excellent quality afternoon teas from my local cafes at £10 per person. Massive shame. Oh and the staff could not care less about my experience as I explained whilst I was there, might of been slightly appeased if they had knocked some money off the bill. However are people really that gullible to pay for such poor quality food without saying anything?
I gave two stars as the building is attractive / clean and the gardens are kept lovely. Staff seem quite attentive apart from when you complain or point out mouldy food then don’t really know how to deal with customers expecting high standards.

Reviewed June 6, 2018 via mobile

Whilst staying at the Raithwaite Estate we enjoyed dinner in the Brace restaurant on three occasions.
All meals were of a very high standard and the service from the young staff was friendly and enthusiastic.
All produce used was the finest Yorkshire has to offer.
The highlight was the Whitby Bouillabaisse with a splendid selection of seafood in a delicious rich sauce.

Reviewed May 27, 2018 via mobile

We’ve had a wonderful Bank Holiday Sunday at Raithwaite. We decided to come for a little friendship reunion.
They have a fantastic member of staff, Jake, he was very attentive, he was incredibly friendly and evidently wanted to be here which was refreshing to see.
The gardens were just beautiful. We had a great time.

Date of visit: May 2018
Reviewed March 22, 2018

We stayed at Raithwaite Estate for 3 nights for our silver wedding anniversary. From the moment we arrived, we received extremely friendly and attentive service - a real warm Yorkshire attitude. Nothing was too much for them - from arranging for flowers to be in our room from my husband, chilling the champagne we'd brought - to ferrying us to and from the spa in the golf buggy. Everyone was happy to chat and seemed to really be bothered that we had a good time.
We ate at the new Brasserie - new chef, amazing food. No really, amazing. I had the duck - my recommendation...have the duck! I embarrassed my husband by asking for some bread to mop up the sauce - but the waitress understood! It was truly delicious.
Room was in the Keep - nice and quiet, clean and warm. Lovely verandah. Gorgeous bathroom.
Breakfast was very good - the first day was best, but only because it was the only day we hadn't stuffed ourselves the night before.
I was very impressed by the standard of the food wherever we went.
So, if you get the chance - book here. The beach is a short walk away, the spa is decent, the food is excellent. It's perfect for a romantic getaway.

Date of visit: March 2018