“Great location hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #38 of 46 Hotels in York
Durham, United Kingdom
“Great location hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2012

Stayed for two nights recently and the first room we were allocated looked really quite tired (not a 4 star) and also noisy. We spoke to the lady in reception and she was quick to sort something out for us. I can't remember her name but she was really professional and efficient. The second room overlooked the castle and was much better. The beds were comfy, the room was clean, breakfast was super and the location was great! We would certainly book again but I'd really want to know which room I was being given. This would probably mean paying more than we'd expect/want to but overall I think it was worth it.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (407)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Weston-super-Mare, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2012

Our family (two adults and two teenagers) had a very nice three night stay in a perfectly adequate two double bedded room. The room was very clean and nicely furnished. We only had towels for two people but a quick note to the housekeeping lady solved that little issue the next day.

The hotel Wifi is expensive, however certain UK mobile networks will allow free access to 'auto BT Wifi'.

I used to live in York so I knew how just how convenient this hotel is to all the tourist hot spots and the lovely bars and restaurants.

I would certainly recommend paying that little extra for the buffet breakfast, especially if you have hungry teenagers like us!

• 5 of 5 bubbles
HiltonYork, General Manager at Hilton York, responded to this review, 27 February 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback on this website.

I was pleased to read that you had a very nice stay and found the room to be very clean and nicely furnished and that you all enjoyed the breakfast buffet.

I look forward to welcoming you all back to the Hilton York in the near future.

Cheltenham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2012

We have just returned as a party of 7 who visited York for half term and stayed two nights at the York Hilton. The hotel is in a super location just in front of Clifford's Tower so fantastic for the three boys in our party (ages 10, 7 and 6) . The staff at the hotel were outstanding. The breakfast was great and the waiting staff at breakfast even noticed that we were celebrating the 10 year old's birthday. They prepared some lovely pancakes (with absolutely no request or prompting) and they had added a birthday message and 10 candles. They sang happy birthday with us and the 10 year old was really thrilled. What kind and thoughtful staff. The hotel should be proud! We had two double-double rooms. The rooms are absolutely fine. Nicely decorated and very clean. Not much space but you don't need it for a couple of nights. The only niggle we had was that that room was very hot and we could not turn down the heating. We have stayed here previously and will definately stay again for the location, great staff and great breakfast :-)

Room Tip: We had a super meal at Delrio's up at Micklegate :-) Also, there were so many lovely activities...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on this website.

I was pleased to read that you had an enjoyable stay and that you received excellent customer service from my team and that your stay was made extra special with my team acknowledging your son’s birthday. I am indeed very proud of my team and I will be passing on your comments to them.

I hope we the opportunity to welcome you all back to the Hilton York in the not too distant future.

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2012

We stayed here for one night. As a family with 2 adults and 2 children we had a double/double room. The room had 2 double beds. Room was not very big for 4 people but was all that we needed as hardly spent any time in there. The room was very clean with tea/coffee. Reception staff were very pleasant. The breakfast buffett was very good with lots of choice: hot english breakfast, cold meats, fruit, cereal and pastries. There is only one thing I could say as a negative and that is outside the hotel doors there was a horrible smell of dirty sewers. All in all a nice hotel to stay in very close to the city centre.

1 Thank sophie13_10
HiltonYork, General Manager at Hilton York, responded to this review, 22 February 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback on this website.

I appreciate your kind comments and am pleased that you found the breakfast to have lots of variety and the Reception team to be most pleasant. I will be passing on your comments to them as they serve as a great motivator.

I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Hilton York in the near future.

North Charleston, South Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 February 2012

The Hilton Hotel York is an excellent choice for location, quality and service. Sited about 300 metres away from Clifford's Tower (the keep of York Castle, with this as the view from the dining room) you immediately feel in the heart of wonderful medieval York. The decor, room furnishing and courtesy of the staff are all first rate and breakfast surpasses the Yorkshire reputation for filling you up for the rest of the day! The quality of the both the traditional English and the continental breakfasts left nothing to be desired. We were more than happy with the quality of both our room and the bathroom.
Parking was fairly expensive but on site and under cover. York is a compact city and everything is within very easy walking distance of the hotel.
Despite being in the city the hotel was very quiet and restful. My only criticism was the lack of air conditioning. Although the weather was below freezing and we turned off the the heating in the room it was too warm overnight and would benefit from better temperature control.

1 Thank probinb
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind comments on this website.

I am pleased to read that you had an enjoyable stay and found my team to be most friendly and that you also enjoyed the Hilton breakfast. My team work hard to ensure we deliver the highest standards of customer service at all times and I am pleased that on this occasion it was no exception.

Thank you for staying with us and I look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton York in the near future.

Ellesmere Port, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2012

It was nice with friendly staff but the bathroom was very small and outdated which made it disappointing. The tv was set at a volume which made it inaudible

• Stayed February 2012
York, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2012

Well located within easy walk of all city attractions and train station. Room dated, bog standard decor and in desparate need of a makeover. Perfectly clean and staff very obliging. Arrived late at night, mid-week and charming receptionist did me a great deal to include parking. At Travelodge rates it is just fine, at advertised rates I would avoid as doesnt represent value. Car parking rates exorbitant and it really should not be necessary to charge for Wifi in this day and age.

Room Tip: View over Cliffords tower has to be good.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank marran25
HiltonYork, General Manager at Hilton York, responded to this review, 15 February 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your positive comments on this website.

I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay and found the location fantastic for exploring York, and my team to be most obliging.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton York in the not too distant future.