2,525 results
All reviews prince of wales suite red letter cigar bunker bridal suite car park lovely hotel luxury room short walk city centre eggs benedict four poster bed york minster free parking on site parking leave the car family room walk in shower
Reviewed February 17, 2016 via mobile

Very friendly staff and pleasant to talk to. Smart hotel and comfortable room however I was in the twin room and it didn't have a window looking out which was a shame but there was air con so wasn't too hot. Very clean and modern. Amazing shower and stylish bathroom!! Food was very good in the evening and a nice atmosphere although no lounge area to relax in. Very quiet at nice which was unexpected. Breakfast was very good although no "buffet" with cereal etc to help yourself to. Overall it was a very nice stay for one night. 15 minute walk to the station and 10 minutes into the centre. Also slightly set back from the road.

Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed February 17, 2016

As a solo female business traveller I will always try to get a Premier Inn where possible as I know what I'm getting. The Churchill was on offer at a good price & closer to my place of work so seemed a better deal this time. I was aware of the car park charge after reading previous reviews but still feel it's a bit of a rip off. I didn't find the reception staff welcoming on check in (although chatting to one later she was very friendly). My room was lovely.....small (but I don't need much room), very clean, lovely comfy bed & huge shower. If I visit York again for leisure purposes I will definitely consider The Churchill again if the price is right.

Trip type: Travelled on business
1  Thank Kay R
Reviewed February 15, 2016

Visited for one night only to experience the wonderful city of York for ourselves. The city itself is stunning even if the weather tried hard to deter us. On arrival at the Churchill, both my partner and I felt thoroughly impressed by the look of the hotel from the street. Once inside, greetings done and shown to our room, we both felt we had made a great choice and looked forward to our weekend. I will reiterate at this point, the refurbishment of the hotel and the money spent in doing so is well worth a visit. Annoyingly, in fact sadly the hotel is only let down by its staff and management.
After a swift visit to the city centre, we decided to have a drink in the hotel bar, I can only assume the lights were dimmed for ambience, it merely made this part of the hotel seem a little seedy (drinks a tad expensive too). On returning to the room again at around 11.30pm, we were greeted by a loud noise, best described as exactly what it turned out to be, a loud bathroom extractor fan from the neighbouring room. On reporting it and suggesting the bathroom light had been left on, I was advised that there was nothing they could do and offered to move us to another room. As if this wasn't enough, we then find the room we had moved to was directly below the previous room and the annoying noise was still very clear. In hindsight, the fan noise was the least of our problems as the regular drunken noise of the other guests kept us awake most of the night. Then, to end things on a high, we went for breakfast. In general, very nice but on asking for some toast, my partner found one of the slices of toast to have mould on the crust !! When I mentioned it to the young man serving, I was told that the chef had given his assurance that it was the only slice in the loaf that had mould !! A perfectly adequate explanation if we had less common sense than the bread itself. We were then told the manager had been informed but even at the point of checking out, there was no mention or even an apology. Since returning home, I have had the pleasure of discussing matters with the general manager, only to find (when I explained that my partners intention was to comment on this very site) I was being threatening. In short, hotel looks great but maybe the customer service has been papered over.

Room tip: Be specific about your requirements and expect noise of a weekend as only 1/2 mile from the city centre.
Reviewed February 15, 2016

Okay hotel. See below. Overall we will try another hotel/B&B at our next visit to York.

Pros
- easily accessible on main route by driving.
- parking available - paid for separately from room.
- okay internet access
- close to town centre- 5 min walk, and close to Museum garden and river Ouse, < 5minutes.

Cons
- we stayed in a standard room - small, barely space to sit on the chair, or move about.
- breakfast had limited choice for a vegan, but otherwise good choices for meat eaters. Not buffet, but order from menu breakfast.
- I did not realise that parking had to be paid separately - £10 per day
- overall felt too expensive for what we got £150 per night.

Room tip: Perhaps not a standard room.
Reviewed February 14, 2016

My husband booked this as a surprise for me for my birthday / valentines treat so I don't know the exact price but I believe he paid around £129 for the one night, including a bottle of prosecco for our room and the car parking (although I later leanred this was free if the room is booked direct).
It was our second stay at this hotel so was extremely pleased when I realized where the car was turning into. We arrived much earlier than expected, however the lovely lady on reception said this was not a problem as she was sure our room had already been prepared. She showed us up, and 5 minutes later our bottle of prosecco followed. We stayed in the downing street room (apologies if I've not got that exactly right) and have to admit the room was much smaller than our first visit and lacked a bit of floor space for bags etc. However it was clean and bright and included a double shower and four poster bed. Maybe I was just spoiled by the roll top bath on my first visit haha. My only gripe was that the extractor fan in the bathroom was extremely loud! Sounded like it was on its way out to be honest. So much so that I didn't turn the light on in the bathroom until I needed a shower the following morning, instead making do with the light from the room. I have to confess though, I forgot to mention this to staff upon leaving.
We didn't stay for breakfast this time although we have in the past and were not disappointed! I even asked at reception when leaving if we were okay to leave the car in the car park whilst we went back into the city to which I was told they usually ask guests to vacate by 12pm but we would probably be okay for another couple of hours .... very very much appreciated. Overall I would definitely recommend this hotel... absolutely my favorite place to stay when visiting York