“Christmas Shopping Extraviganza”

Hampton by Hilton York
Ranked #8 of 47 Hotels in York
Reviewed 12 December 2017

My hotel stay was fantastic. The staff were very polite, friendly & helpful. The breakfast was divine, allowing us to fill up ready for a great days shopping. With the hotel being very close to the centre it was easy to make return trips to drop off our purchases before re-fueling on coffee & off out again saving on buses & taxi's. The hotel was quiet considering there are bars in the area. 100% value for money & highly recommended.

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Hampton
VBurnham, Manager at Hampton by Hilton York, responded to this reviewResponded 15 December 2017

Thank you for your review following your recent stay at Hampton by Hilton York.

I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and found our location so convenient. I'm also happy to hear you found our team friendly and helpful during your stay.

Thank you for choosing Hampton by Hilton, I hope you will choose to stay with us again in the future, and If you are not already a HHonors member, you may be interested to know that it's free to join and you can earn points towards free stays and much more. It couldn't be easier! Just book through hampton.com to get your points.

Stuart

Write a ReviewReviews (2,628)

Reviewed 11 December 2017 via mobile

Arriving by train the hotel is a five minute walk away on a quiet street. My room was spacious, with a very comfortable bed. The hotel was quiet during the night. Everything appeared spotlessly clean. Heating excellent (weather was sub-zero). WiFi was free and effective. Buffet breakfast is included in the room rate and is served in a bright , modern area near reception. There was a good choice of hot and cold food available. Overall, the hotel is modern, crisp and comfortable and in an excellent location. Recommended.

Stayed: December 2017, travelled solo

Reviewed 10 December 2017 via mobile

Myself and my husband have just returned home from a weekend break in York, we have this weekend Xmas shopping every year.
This year we booked for the Hampton court hotel, as it advertises that it has a restaurant, so we thought that's the best thing to do as York gets really busy and sometimes it's hard to get somewhere to eat, But after booking in at the hotel we where informed that you can only get something to eat up to 9pm, and you can't get afternoon meals with added chips before 5pm. Also at breakfast you cannot get fried eggs. I found this very strange for a hotel of this size plus the amount of money it costs to stay here
I think the hotel management need to up their standards to justify their charges

Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple
VBurnham, Manager at Hampton by Hilton York, responded to this reviewResponded 11 December 2017

Thank you for your review following your recent stay at Hampton by Hilton York.

I am sorry to see from your response that we did not meet your expectations. Due to the Hampton by Hilton Worldwide brand standards we can only offer a light bar menu, we do however also have a 24 hour menu which includes items like jacket potatoes, pizza, toasties and ice cream. In regards to your comments on our breakfast, we can only have one type of eggs on the hot buffet otherwise this would not comply with the Hampton by Hilton Worldwide brand standards. We are however able to make slight changes to our continental breakfast, if you have any feedback on things you would like to see with this, please let me know as I discuss your feedback when we next review our breakfast menu. Once again thank you for your feedback I will pass on your comments to our Hampton brand team.

In our sister brands such as Hilton Worldwide or Doubletree by Hilton they do offer benefits such as room service, full service restaurant and breakfast made to order. We do realise that our brand and what we offer is not for everybody, however, if this does deter you from staying with us in the future I hope you will consider booking with one of our sister brands.

Reviewed 9 December 2017

5 minutes from the centre of York. Friendly and professional staff. Excellent breakfast. Would recommend. It was our anniversary and a small bottle of wine and some chocolates were delivered to our room. A lovely surprise and in keeping with the friendliness of the hotel. Thank you for a really good stay.

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Thank you for your review following your recent stay at Hampton by Hilton York.

I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and found our location convenient. I am also pleased to see you enjoyed our complimentary breakfast buffet. I am extremely happy to see you had a nice time away with us here at Hampton and would like to personally say Happy Anniversary and I hope we can welcome you back in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 9 December 2017

Hampton Inn York is excellent is so many ways, yet it falls down on one critical criterion. I almost rated it a 3 out of 5, but other positive features redeem it to some extent. First, the positives:

The Hampton York is clean, modern, and staff were uniformly welcoming. The bathroom is modern and well designed. The breakfast is among the best, in our opinion, at this price point. Mainly because we enjoy the bowls of fresh fruit pieces and grapefruit pieces, decadent croissants and danishes, good coffee, juice choices, and much more. The hot offerings (scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, beans) are OK, but eggs and sausages are a bit salty and (as other TA reviewers have noted) it would be nice to have other types of cooked eggs for a change.

The hotel has an excellent location. It's a 5 minute walk from the train station (Tip: turn left when leaving the station and cross the road at the first crossing to take the path in the small park around and under the overpass.) The hotel is a 10-15 minute walk to most attractions, such as Yorkshire museums, Clifford Tower, York Minster, Shambles, etc. Even better, you can walk along the ancient York city wall for part of this journey. The Hampton is just a minute or two from places to walk up to the wall in either direction.

So, what's wrong with the Hampton York? The bed mattresses (more specifically, the ones we were assigned)! First, they seem to have minimal topping (or very little remaining). This explains the many TA reviewer complaints about being too hard, and explains our experience that you could actually feel some of the springs beneath! Second, our mattresses had no side support. See the photo, which shows the lack of side support and considerable sag without anyone touching the mattress. Third, the springs seem to be less than the usual density and thickness because a little movement creates springy sounds ( which I haven't heard in mattresses for a long time). Surprisingly, the mattress label does say Serta for Hilton (1st time I've checked hotel mattress in maybe five years!). Perhaps the mattresses in our room were past their expiry date, but they definitely were the poorest quality in a long time. We didn't complain because mattress quality would be checked by staff. We could sleep on them due to frequent stays at hard mattress hotels in Asia, but it was definitely low value.

A few other quibbles about Hampton York: The bottom sheet isn't fitted, so it comes loose when you pull back the upper sheet/duvet. The duvets (if you can call them that) were quite thin -- really summer weight -- for December. There aren't any plug-ins (powerpoints) beside both beds and no USB power sources. Free internet was OK, but generally on the lower end (I recorded 5mbps down and 2mbps up).

Would we stay here again? Reluctantly due to location, breakfast, and staff. But would definitely stay again if this Hampton bought decent mattresses (hint: visit a Premier Inn or other Hilton brand hotels).

Room Tip: Ask for a room with new mattresses.
  • Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank stlamc

Thank you for your review following your recent stay at Hampton by Hilton York.

I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and found our location convenient. I am also pleased to see you enjoyed our complimentary breakfast.

I am sorry to hear that you did not find our beds comfortable during your recent stay with us. All of our rooms have the Hilton standard mattresses that you find in all Hilton hotels, although there may be some variation between individual rooms due to rolling mattress replacement.

We would love to welcome you back to the hotel. If you are looking to book again, please get in touch with me directly at toftgreen.hampton@gmail.com so I can arrange for a mattress topper to be fitted to the bed, to ensure a softer feel and a better night's sleep for you.

Reviewed 8 December 2017 via mobile

Great central location.

Very clean but unimpressive rooms.
Ground floor looked out on to bins
As we were on the floor below the reception and dining room I was woken at 4am by the night porter moving furniture around (probably part of his/her duties but nonetheless it woke me)

I was then woken again when staff arrived to prepare breakfast and the dining room- was woken despite wearing earplugs.

Breakfast was standard, decent but dining room was packed and quite stressful.

I mentioned my broken nights sleep to reception (as it had really annoyed me) and they were good about it. Apologised and offered me a bottle of Pinot as by way recompense.

I wouldn't stay here again

Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
VBurnham, Manager at Hampton by Hilton York, responded to this reviewResponded 9 December 2017

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us.

I am very sorry to hear that your sleep was disturbed whilst staying with us. We don't usually receive complaints due to noise from rooms underneath the dining area so I will investigate this with our night and breakfast teams, thank you for bringing this to our attention. Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience caused by this.

I am happy to hear that reception addressed the issue on the day and offered you some compensation. If you do choose to stay with us again please don't hesitate to contact our reception team and we will be happy to assign you to a higher floor and ensure your stay is as comfortable as possible.

Reviewed 8 December 2017

If you are coming to York by train, perfect location. Perfect breakfast, even for early departures from the hotel. Spacious rooms. Well, really can't say anything bad against this lovely hotel at all.

Room Tip: Any room will do.
  • Stayed: December 2017, travelled with family