“Very Friendly & Helpful”

Bootham City Centre Guest House
Ranked #60 of 194 York B&B and Inns
Reviewed 7 October 2011

The guest house is situated very close to York City's Football ground, I was warmly welcomed on my arrival and shown to my room on the 2nd floor.
The road itself is very quite and it is about a fifteen minute walk to York centre.
The room itself was very clean and well maintained and was equipped with tea/coffee making facilities & TV which received free-view channels.
Breakfast was included in the price and was well prepared.
Car parking was on-street and you are provided with a permit to allow you to park for free during your stay, Parking in York is can otherwise be very expensive.
Wi-fi internet access is also provide free of charge.
The bottom line if asked would I stay again would be yes

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
There are newer reviews for Bootham City Centre Guest House

Reviewed 12 September 2011

I spent four nights in York this past April. I really enjoyed getting to stay in the Bootham
Guest House, which was near enough to the city center that I could walk, and it was also close
enough to walk to the bus station. Breakfast every morning was very good, and
the staff always made sure that I had any special request fulfilled. My room was very
pretty, and spotlessly clean, with its own bath. I would highly recommend this B & B to anyone
planning to visit York. By the way, I loved the city; it is a great place to walk, has a very
good historical museum, and the Minster is quite impressive. I hope that I can return to
York sometime, and I will be sure to stay at the Bootham again.

Room Tip: My room was at the top of the stairs, so it was a bit difficult to manage my luggage. It would have...
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 5 September 2011

We spent three nights at this guesthouse and we enjoyed our stay,We were made to feel very welcome the staff were very friendly and could not do enough for us, The breakfast was excellent, Would highly recommend, Only a two minute walk to the City Center and close to the Minster.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 July 2011

Was sent confirmation details before i stayed which included late check in which was useful. Stayed for 2 nights, the bedroom had everything that i needed. It was clean and tidy with broadband access. Tv wasn't the best but ok
The staff where friendly and ensured that i had all i needed especially at breakfast.
It is walking distance to town, but would be a bit of a walk to the train station. The street parking was helpful.
Mixture of families, solo's and couples staying there.
The only thing was there was a bit of noise on the street over the course of the night, but nothing major.
I would stay again

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 24 June 2011

We arrived by train and the directions from our booking took us walking through the town - when we arrived we were asked if we had taken the short cut - well, I would have taken it if that information had been on my booking sheet. Turn left along the front of the Royal York Hotel and there's a foot bridge across the river at the far side of the Royal Mail Office. This takes you through a car park and up into Bootham - if you book here ask the Guest House to confirm the directions. Allow 20 minutes for your walk between train and guest house. Generally the room was ok. There's not a lot of room and the shower is fairly small for moving around in. The TV reception wasn't always great but hey, I just wanted the headline news as York itself has so much to offer. The pillows were excellent! I'm kicking myself for not actually taking the pillow out of the case to see what make it was! One thing that we didn't like was the plastic mattress protector - not comfortable through the night - especially when it was hot in June! Breakfast was good. Personally I don't think I'd class this as 4 star but I'm no expert on the rating system criteria. It's clean enough, welcome was excellent, staff very friendly it's 10 minutes from the city centre, good value for money and if you travel by car you do get a pass to park on the street which is always good in York.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank FiEverywhere
Reviewed 10 June 2011

The room was not as exspected for 4 star accomidation, breakfast was of a very poor quality, staff were impolite.
The bathroom was small and mildew with a very noisy toilet and the sink separate was in the bedroom.
My friend and I would not go back for these reasons.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 June 2011

Nothing much wrong with The Bootham Guest House (Their sign didn't say City Centre) but as it has a 4 star rating I'm a bit surprised at that, as the bedroom was fairly basic with a small toilet and shower cubicle in a little bathroom with a separate wash basin in the bedroom itself. The flat screen TV didn't work. (It did if you like looking at digital static?) The breakfast was adequate but nothing special. Orange juice out of a cracked jug and cash 'n' carry bacon and tasteless sausages, okay, but 4 star, probably not? Our room was far too hot at night even with a window fully open, and whilst this could be expected on the first evening when the weather was scorching it shouldn't have been the second evening when it had cooled down a lot. They need to leave the front inside door open for a while to blow some of the trapped heat out of the building as the heat hits you the minute you walk into the place. A sink in a bedroom isn't a problem for me but in a 4 star guest house this did look a little bit out of place. I think they give stars for features such as a hairdryer which there was, but I do think they've given this establishment a star to many and 3 stars is nearer the mark.

It's a good 10 - 15 minute walk from the Minster which isn't that much really, but popping back to drop off shopping is half an hour's walk in total which puts a slightly different slant on things. Nothing wrong with this guest house as I've said, but 3 stars would be a more accurate reflection of the standard of the Bootham Guest House in my opinion, having had the opportunity of staying in other 4 star guest houses in York and other places and something to compare it against. You won't be disappointed if you stopped here as its clean, pretty comfortable for 2 or 3 night visit and the breakfast was okay, but you probably won't think it's the best 4 star guest house you've ever visited?

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family