“Best fix and chips ever”
Review of Fox and Roman

Fox and Roman
Ranked #258 of 990 Restaurants in York
Cuisines: British
Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: The Fox and Roman in York is a country pub & restaurant oozing rural charm and rustic character. Our picturesque surroundings provide the perfect backdrop for savouring the hearty, seasonal pub-food on our menu, and the carefully nurtured cask ales and fine wines gracing our bar.
Reviewed April 4, 2018

Whilst staying nearby we always eat at the Fox and Roman and find the service, food and atmosphere great. My husband likes plain cooking whereas I am willing to try new foods and this establishment caters for us both. My husband had the fish and chips last time we were there and he said that these were the best he had ever tasted, I had venison sausages and mustard mash a bit spicy for me but pleased I had the opportunity to try them. They have a wide range of wines and I had a lovely white wine. The service was excellent and I noticed the waiter explaining to a lady exactly what the food contained, I presumed that she must have had dietary needs, he had a file which listed the ingredients in the food.
We always book a table on arrival at our hotel and usually eat early in the evening because it is a popular place especially on a weekend, so I would advise booking to save disappointment.
Looking forward to next time.

General Manager A, Manager at Fox and Roman, responded to this reviewResponded April 9, 2018

Hi Norma J, thank you for taking the time to leave a review for us at The Fox and Roman. We're happy we could meet your expectations! We always strive to provide top quality service to every guest, and are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your experience here at The Fox and Roman!

Reviewed April 1, 2018

After a good day at the races decided to have a meal and drinks, wanted somewhere close to our hotel (Holiday Inn Express York) just a 5 minute walk up to the main road and you will see the the Fox and Roman pub, upon entry we asked for a table for 8 the waitress said there was nothing left due to it being race day, but then she decided to put some tables together to accommodate us all. We all ordered something different (plenty of choice) and nobody was disappointed in the service, quality of the food and the friendliness of the staff was excellent, considering 8 of us just turned up asking for food the staff did an excellent job in looking after our needs. Great night which rounded off a great day. Well recommended.

Nfw1957, your wonderful feedback and rating mean a lot to us. We always strive to provide top quality service to every guest, and are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your experience here at The Fox and Roman!

Reviewed April 1, 2018

We ate here twice over Easter weekend. Both times the restaurant was crazily busy but the service was excellent and the food quality was pretty high. If you want to eat here at a weekend I suggest booking a table.
The rating for the restaurant would be higher, but on Sunday evening they were running out of all the roast menu options really rapidly and apparently that is quite common.
On both occasions we were treated to excellent friendly service from the waiting staff. Can recommend the mushroom starter and the fish cakes although they really shouldn't serve them with potatoes as they already contain potato. The roast dinner was large and exactly what you would expect from roast beef. My husband recommends a pint of the Black Sheep ale.

General Manager A, Manager at Fox and Roman, responded to this reviewResponded April 3, 2018

Otl, we strive for 100% satisfaction, and it is great to see you had such a positive experience at The Fox and Roman. Your recommendation means so much to us and we're so happy to have earned it. Thank you again for taking the time to let the world know about your positive experience. Have a great day!

Reviewed March 19, 2018 via mobile

Booked online, requested quiet area to sit as a special occasion, request was dealt with perfectly and we got a great table. Friendly staff, prompt service but didn't feel rushed. Shared starter of calamari and prawns, all very well cooked. I had venison main which was perfectly cooked, this has to be the best main I've ever eaten out, I was so impressed. The blue cheese sauce I ordered was lovely and cheesy, usually these are creamy with a hint of blue cheese. Had a mini brownie with a liqueur coffee for dessert, again it was faultless. Fantastic value for money. Would highly recommend, wish I lived nearer so I could go back!

General Manager A, Manager at Fox and Roman, responded to this reviewResponded March 25, 2018

Dushidoo, we are so happy to read such a great review about The Fox and Roman! Your recommendation means so much to us and we're so happy to have earned it. Thank you again for taking the time to let the world know about your positive experience. Have a great day!

Reviewed March 18, 2018

We booked a table online, arrived on time only to be told that their online system had been an issue and they couldn't seat us straight away. Promised us that they'd get us seated within 15 minutes of our booked time.... an hour later we were still chasing to be seated. We'd booked for 7.45 and eventually managed to get food just after 9pm! When the food eventually arrived some of it was wrong, some cold and some completely inedible.
The manager was very apologetic and did take two main courses off our bill plusgave us a free round of drinks but it simply didn't make up for a ruined evening.

We regret to hear that you had a negative experience with us, but would appreciate the chance to turn your experience around. We appreciate you bringing this experience to our attention. If you are willing, please contact us at 01904 708720 so we can work towards a resolution. We look forward to hearing from you.