All reviews garden room wedding breakfast wedding coordinator amazing wedding wedding venue molton brown toiletries duty manager lovely hotel exclusive use bridal suite main building cotswold hotel sister hotel bar food old world charm fresh milk four poster bed
Reviewed January 5, 2018 via mobile

This hotel exceeded my expectations. We stayed in the Tanfield Room which was absolutely beautiful. The roaring fire in the living area of the room welcomed us on a cold December day, we had travelled from Sydney so we needed those extra comforts. The hotel reception, lounge and dining areas were decorated for Christmas. Oh so beautiful! The breakfast was outstanding, probably up there with one of the best breakfasts we have had. Burford is very special to my husband and I as we were married there. We wanted somewhere special to stay to enjoy the memories of beautiful Burford and our wedding and we definitely got that. One downer was the shower facilities in the room, perhaps management could consider upgrading the shower to meet the standard of the room. Other than that small complaint, extremely impressed! We will be back, hopefully in summer to see that wisteria in all its glory!

Stayed: December 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Stephaniejones1986
Reviewed January 3, 2018

There is little I can say about this hotel and the experience we had except AMAZING! The quality of the food, the cleanliness of the rooms, restaurant, and bar area were outstanding. Although some of the staff were young and potentially inexperienced, they too were great and the Manager and Assistant Manager must take full credit for the training these lads and lasses are receiving. 4 of us stayed for the New Year Celebrations and we were not let down one bit. There was a small fault in our room that was attended to within minutes of Reception being informed.

I have read other "disappointing" reviews and cannot believe they are regarding the same hotel I have just returned from less than 24 hours ago!

Would we go back??? DEFINITELY!

The town centre has a lot of character and is well worth a visit.

Room Tip: Wisdom room is beautiful and overlooks the gardens, separated from the hotel by less than a 30 second walk but so worth it
  • Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed January 2, 2018

As someone who has worked in event planning and management for many years the idea of turning over my wedding to others felt uncomfortable. Broadly speaking however, I should have had no fears as the staff and management at The Bay Tree ensured it was a sublime success. Whilst a few niggles did exist, they were obliterated by the overwhelming professionalism and positivity we experienced on the day.
Maureen, the calm wedding co-ordinator, helped to ensure plans were translated to reality and the charming Duty Manager Mark was a star filling up the bubbles and making sure everyone and everything went to plan. Each member of staff from the magically wonderful Helen on the front desk, through to the bar and serving staff – all were faultless. Every guest made a point of expressing how wonderful the venue, staff, food and bedrooms were.
The venue is a magical old Cotswold classic. It twists and turns with beams and creaky floors. It has history and charm in every corner and that exudes no matter where you are. The roaring fires and comfortable seating areas indulge the senses. Equally, the gardens are beautiful and they are just as stunning in the cold as they are in the summer. I have experienced both and they have equal charm.
The staff were beyond helpful. Nothing was too much trouble for them. They helped every guest at some point and went way beyond what would have been expected in the line of their work. Mark, tracking down the theme tune to a 1970s sitcom to be played minutes later, demonstrated his exceptional can-do capacity and willingness to make the day zing. They are all the true stars of the Bay Tree.
All of the food was sublime. The chefs delivered a wedding meal that not only looked amazing, but tasted awesome. I loathe ‘function food.’ I was fearful that the meal might not be quite as good as I expected. I felt rather silly when it not only tasted as good as I hoped - it surpassed it. Genuinely, I can say this was one of the best and most professional meals delivered to around 90 people I have experienced. The same can be said of the canapés. I was so pleased - as were the guests who continue to compliment it.
The spotlessly clean bedrooms are unique and offer a distinct charm. Every guest complimented the beds and how comfortable they were. Each room had something special to offer and most offered indulgent bathrooms too. Crucially, they were all cleaned and available promptly for the guests, which was a great help.
The bar too, lest we forget, was a great place and entertained many. The cocktails proving to be a huge hit! The conservatory was transformed into a drinks and party venue and proved to be the ideal size. The DJ, who was provided by the hotel, was excellent and kept everyone busy.
I recall going into the conservatory at 1.30am to take down our decorations and stood in a empty, spotless room. Everything was taken down, neatly packed and stored whilst the room had been cleaned. As an event planner myself I just stood in genuine appreciation – that is the difference the Bay Tree gives you, a unique personal service which transcends the ordinary. That is why I say, it's more than a venue, it's an experience.
Breakfast was fantastic. There was a great deal of choice and all cooked food was done to perfection. The finale of our wedding collided with heavy snow, so many guests booked and extended stay, but for those making their way home the staff came out helped push cars out of the car park and down roads. I heard that they also went down to the main street to carry the bags of arriving guests so that they didn’t have to traverse the ice alone. Even though that wasn’t for our event, it's things like this, which make this place exceptional.
So whether you are looking for a place to get away from it all in these sumptuous rooms with excellent food and wonderful service or whether you are thinking of holding your wedding here, all I can say is – do it. It’s a special, magical place and you will surely fall in love, as we did.

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank StottieToaster
Reviewed December 31, 2017

Normally stay elsewhere in the Cotswolds but tried here for one night at the end of a long weekend away, loved it. The service was fantastic, the rooms big and the bed super comfy, one of the best nights sleep I had in ages. Breakfast the next day lovely and had GF bread which is a must for me.

Bar area lovely and do good cocktails but my only compliant is they didn’t start serving dinner until 7pm which was annoying for us as we wanted a late lunch/early dinner Sunday roast so had to go elsewhere.

Will definitely stay again.

Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed December 31, 2017

We were caught in the recent snow on our way to Gloucester when we had to book in a hotel as we could proceed no further. After a stressful couple of hours trying to find accommodation we were lucky enough to get the last room at The Bay Tree Hotel Burford. We had a wonderful welcome and although the restaurant was closed due to staff not able to get in, we were offered a lovely hot 3 course meal in the comfort of the bar area. Nothing was too much trouble for the staff and after a good night sleep we had the breakfast which also was great. If you love to step back into Charles Dickens lifetime this is the village and the hotel to stay. Could not fault it in anyway and we will be coming back soon.

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple