“Great for that special occasion”

Heythrop Park Resort
Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Chipping Norton
Crewkerne, United Kingdom
“Great for that special occasion”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2012

We booked two nights (Friday & Saturday) at the Heythrop for our anniversary. We took advantage of the advance booking no cancellation rate for a standard double room. Like other reviewers we drove up the 1.7 mile driveway and ended up at the adjoining Crowne Plaza Hotel first - the signage could do with looking at! Heythrop Park House, previously owned by a Duke, Nat West and the English Jesuits, was amazing. However, when we were shown our room in a building adjoining the main house it was little more than a cupboard. We were not expecting luxury but at least a room similar in size to Travelodge accommodation. You could barely swing a cat! We were offered an upgrade to a room in the main house and, after being given a tour, we decided to pay the extra which dented the purse somewhat. I appreciate that February is not necessarily a busy time but we were disappointed to find that breakfast and dinner were served in the restaurant in the Crowne Plaza which meant a trek from our room along a rabbit warren of corridors. The main house has a restaurant and bar but these were closed (presumably because only 3 or 4 rooms were occupied). The food was excellent as was the service. I must say that it was a very pleasant surprise to find all the staff polite, courteous, helpful and smiling. Nothing was too much trouble and that in itself was like a breath of fresh air. The Spa however was disappointing - it is far too small - but the pool and gym were fine. Another disappointment was the bar service. Having chosen a cocktail off the menu on our table in the leisure club I was informed that they did not have the ingredients to do cocktails and that I would have to go to the bar in the Crowne Plaza! That evening I tried again to get a cocktail and only one member of the bar staff knew how to make them. He disappeared and I had two very interesting concoctions from an untrained steward - neither were what I asked for but they tasted OK so, although I was offered an alternative, I was too chilled to be bothered. Special thanks go to "Charlie" on Reception (thank you for the advice on where we could get a Cream Tea in the afternoon) and Diane in the restaurant - you work extremely hard and are both an asset to the Hotel. The golf course was sprawling and very picturesque and the woodland walks peaceful and interesting. Overall we enjoyed our stay.

Room Tip: The standard rooms are basic "conference" style rooms and not very big. If you can afford...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank sue_everest
GMHeythrop, General Manager at Heythrop Park Resort, responded to this review, 29 March 2012
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to put your feedback onto the tripadvisor website, it was a pleasure to have looked after you.
If you are thinking of coming back to the resort please call or me direct and I will take very good care of you.
mstarkey@heythroppark.co.uk

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (245)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
Worthing
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2012

We booked Heythrop Hall with not very hIgh expectations to be quite honest. We were looking for a reasonably priced hotel to stay in for 2 nights in order to be nearer Cheltenham races one hour away. we were certainly pleasantly surprised , we paid £170 for a 2 night stay for 2 including a very substantial full breakfast , we did not use the restaurant for our evening meal, but the staff could not have been more pleasant or accommodating at breakfast. We had only been in our very clean room for half an hour before a member of staff telephoned to check we had all we needed! We stayed in the older part of the hotel where the rooms were small but completely satisfactory for our need, grounds are spectacular! would certainly book this hotel again ,

• Stayed March 2012
1 Thank max1780
Portsmouth
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2012

The Main House is picturesque with fabulous views. The public areas are well presentable and there are ample areas to go walking. Check in was nice and easy and I was given a room in one of the newer additions to the house, along a number of corridoors. I had a twin room on the first night with both beds pushed together and made as a double. The room was small but was adequate for my needs as i was the only one using it. The bathroom was small with a cubicle shower washbasin and toilet. Dove/Lux soap was in a dispenser by the sink and in the shower cubicle. The shower had a great jet of water. The beds were nice and comfy despite having been pushed together. I had a different room for a further 2 nights which had a double bed and was of the same size as the previous room with all the same features.
The food in the hotel was pre prepared with a set menu for our party which was very nice and well presented. Service by the staff was excellent. Other food in different restaurants and bars looked to be very well presented to.
The breakfast menu choices were very good from cereals to cakes to fresh fruit and buffet style hot breakfast.
The bar prices were slightly more expensive £4.50 for a pint of guiness but this i find is usual for most hotels. There is a swimming pool gym and snooker room at the hotel but i didnt use these facilities and therefore cant comment on them. The complex is joined to the Heythrop Park Crown Plaza. There is a golf course there as well but i dont know how good it is or how much it costs. In all this is a very pleasant stay in the middle of the country. Its easy access to Bicester outlet shopping centre and to visit Oxford or Belnheim Palace.

Room Tip: Ask for one
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2012

My fiance and I stayed at Heythrop for 2 nights after seeing a deal on lastminute.com and wanting to see the Cotswolds. The Main House is picturesque on approach, and the public areas are presentable. We were given a room in one of the newer additions to the house, right in the eves along a number of corridoors. The room was small, clean and suitable for purpose, although definitely nothing to write home about, with tea, coffee etc provided. On check in we were told breakfast would be £15 per person per day, and as the hotel is out of the way and we didn't want to have to leave to find breakfast somewhere we paid this. Breakfast was served over the other side of the hotel (nearer to the Crowne Plaza) and there was a wide selection - which was just as well considering we paid £60 for it for the 2 days we stayed! And the staff during breakfast were very attentive. We did venture into the Crowne Plaza and there is a marked contrast to the main house, I think this has been newly refurbed - and it was gorgeous. We would have definitely stayed in this part of the hotel in hinesight! (Even though it really is not a pretty building from the outside) The bar areas were lovely. The grounds were fine but to be honest unless you were playing golf there is nothing to really look at here. The Main House seemed empty and there couldn't have been many other guests staying - the only time we saw people was at breakfast. Overall we got the impression this is a great hotel for conferences and to play golf, but not a warm and welcoming hotel for the weekend, and the phone signal was non existent. It suited us as a base to explore the Cotswolds but we would not rush back to stay again.

Room Tip: Stay in the Crowne Plaza part of the Hotel as opposed to the other wings directly off the main house...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jade V
GMHeythrop, General Manager at Heythrop Park Resort, responded to this review, 22 March 2012
Thank you for taking the time to put your feedback onto the tripadvisor website, I'm sorry your stay wasn't perfect however if you could email me your contact number and when would be a good time to call you so we can discuss your stay in more detail.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2012

I was planning a Saturday shopping in Oxford and I was looking for somewhere for my fiancee and I to stay for the night to make a special weekend of it. I found Heythrop Park on the Internet and after being blown away by the pictures of the place I made a quick direct call to them and got a room booked with no hassle at all. After a short drive out of Oxford we found the entrance to the park and began an intriguing drive through the estate to the main building. I mistakenly found the impressive modern looking Crown Plaza hotel first and after being directed a little further on I was concerned our actual hotel may be a little disappointing by comparison. It was dark as we pulled up to the gates of the main building and the view was simply amazing. We spoke with an extremely pleasant, polite and very helpful young lady at reception (Charlotte I think?) who made the check-in procedure a joy before directing us to our room in one of the wings. We found the room to be of adequate size and with the usual expected facilities however as Charlotte (?) had given us the opportunity to upgrade we thought it would be worth a look. Wow!! The room in the main building was incredible and there was no hesitation in swapping my room key and paying a few extra pennies (the roll-top bath, comfy sofa and huge bed were such an appealing sight after the day shopping!).
We ventured down to the bar which was shared with the Crown Plaza part of the resort but only a corridor away. It was as expected... clean, modern and extremely comfortable.
After retiring back to our room I had the best nights sleep on a bed so comfy I didn't want to get out of it!
I was reluctant to go for breakfast in the morning as I was concerned that may be the food would not be up to the same standard as everything else but I am so glad I did. The full English buffet style breakfast followed by toasted waffles with syrup on, a glass of Orange juice and a cracking cup of coffee set me up nicely for the day!
We had one concern throughout our stay but the guy on reception during the night dealt with it so professionally it does not even warrant a mention.
Prior to making my booking I read a few reviews on this hotel and maybe my standards aren't as high as some people's? Maybe some folk never had the chance to stay in the room I stayed in, drank in the same bar or had the food choices I did? I can honestly say that throughout my stay I was waiting for something to spoil it because there always is right?..... No it was perfect, I wouldn't have changed a thing as it really couldn't have been better in any way. I look forward to sometime in the future when I can return, probably in the summer when I can enjoy the walks around the estate in the sunshine.... rather than under a brolly in the snow x

• Stayed March 2012
Thank you so much for your wonderful comments, it is so nice to read these. I would like to say if you are ever in the area again in the future please call or email me first and I will ensure you have another perfect stay with us.
01608 673333
Hickling, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2012

The business facilities are very good and all located in the original old hall. Superb rooms that fitted our bill to impress our guests and business partners.
The bedrooms though are another tale. We refused to stay in the rooms, they are tatty, small and very dated. The only decent rooms are in the main house and they are offered at a large increase in price, not worth it. The bedrooms, corridors, public spaces including the toilets need to be closed and totally refurbished, gutted and rebuilt would be better! The Crowne Plaza which is physically connected is excellent. Do as we did, stay at the Crown Plaza and use the business facilities at the old hall.

Room Tip: Try the Crowne Plaza next door!
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank AndyHilton
GMHeythrop, General Manager at Heythrop Park Resort, responded to this review, 19 March 2012
Good morning, I would like to thank you for taking the time to put your feedback onto the tripadvisor website. If you could email me your contact number and when would be a good time to call you so we can discuss your comments in more detail that would be great.
01608 673333

Travellers are raving about these Chipping Norton hotels

Portsmouth
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2012

The driveway leading to the hotel is beautiful, all 2 miles of it. Saw deer on the side of the road and its perfectly set amongst the golf course. Arrived 3 hours before check in and got in to our room no problem. We were in the Shrewsbury part of the building which was slightly disappointing as the coridoors and our room were a bit dinghy and musky and in need of a bit of a face lift. We had a family room which consisted of 3 single beds ( 2 of which the staff later pushed together whilst we were out to make a double as thats what we had originally booked )
In the room was a tv, kettle and some teas and coffees. The bathroom was tiny ( shower only ) and handwash and shower gel was included.
We noticed that the hotel had a billiard room and so we paid £10 deposit to use it and play snooker. Such a unique room and you have it all to yourself.
The staff we came in to contact with were very helpful and friendly. We were asked if we wanted to add breakfast on when we checked in but was quite taken aback when they told us it was £15 a head, we refused to pay that!
Apart from the minor comments about the building we were in needing a bit of a makeover i honestly couldnt fault this hotel and would certainly return. Its very picturesque and for the price we paid for a night was good value for money.
Might be worth knowing that for the duration I was there i rarely got signal on my phone, didnt bother me at all but might annoy some people!

Room Tip: We didnt have a room with a view of the grounds but would certainly have asked for one upon checking...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
GMHeythrop, General Manager at Heythrop Park Resort, responded to this review, 14 March 2012
Good morning, What a way to start my day.... very nice to read such nice feedback I will pass this onto the team here at the resort. If you are thinking of coming back to the resort please call or email me direct and I will ensure you are well looked after.
once again THANK YOU, THANK YOU and THANK YOU
4.3 km away
Falkland Arms
Falkland Arms
#1 of 7 in Chipping Norton

Been to Heythrop Park Resort? Share your experiences!