“Glorious setting and friendly staff” 4 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Heythrop Park Resort
Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Chipping Norton
Kingswinford
“Glorious setting and friendly staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2012

We booked two room on Priority club point breaks - so got a very good for a two night break. The hotel is in beautiful setting - with acres of woodland and a gold course in its grounds. First impressions is stunning!! My mother-inlaw and daughter shared a twin accessible room which was spacious and airy but no shower - of course ensuite with a bath with grab bars. The room was very clean with free refreshments, tea and coffee making facilities and biscuits. Our room was smaller with one double bed and a rainfall shower. Very nice room but too small for our tastes. I would recommend booking the twin accessible rooms if you prefer lots of space.

On arrival the porter was extremely helpful, indeed as were all the staff. My main issue with the hotel were the cost of the food and breakfast - at £18.50 per breakfast this made it unaffordable to us and we ate at the leisure centre. We purchased tickets for the evening dinner dance on the second night which we regarded as good value and excellent entertainment with a Tribute band to Take That. Please bookas soon as you arrive at the hotel to ensure you get good seats. Please beware because it is easy to run up a bill on the bar tariffs.

The hotel had a nice swimming pool at the leisure centre, though for those with walking difficulties it is some distance and uphill away from the hotel. A golf buggy can be booked for transport though it is not always available.

Room Tip: We asked for adjoining rooms but these were not available to us. The twin accessible rooms are spac...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
GMHeythrop, General Manager at Heythrop Park Resort, responded to this review, 10 April 2012
Thank you veyr much for taking the time and trouble to put your wonderful feedback onto the tripadvisor it was a pleasure looking after you. If you are thinking of coming back to the resort please call me or email me direct.
mstarkey@heythroppark.co.uk

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (244)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
Herne Bay, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2012

We booked the hotel via a hotel comparison site and got a good deal, we just wanted a weekend away near Oxford and were aiming to do it on a fairly tight budget. From reviews on here I suspected the rooms may not be great, but I was shocked by how dreadful they really were. It was tiny, had no bath and was frankly grotty.

HOWEVER... we upgraded, at a reduced rate (due to our complaints) and it was a totally different story. We ended up in their best standard of room (Eldon) and it was amazing. One of the best rooms I've ever stayed in.

Service was ok - the Manager was begrudgingly pleasant to us after our initial complaints but the girls on reception were great - they were friendly and helpful.

In terms of cleanliness - there was a tray with breakfast plates etc left outside a nearby room - this remained there for over 24 hours and our room had dead flies under the radiators (not just one or two either).

In general the main part of the hotel is beautiful but needs a bit of TLC internally, there are parts which are completely incongruent. Bits of the hotel have a bit of an 80s gangster film feel about them (think Goodfellas or Casino), parts have a bit of a 'Shining' feel about them and others are like Downton Abbey - odd! Oh and if you are a smoker and are in the bar you have to walk about 3 miles to get outside!!

The drink prices were ok, usual hotel premium, but the food was horrendously over priced. I ordered a 'cold' sandwich which came with salad and it arrived on a warm plate with value tortilla chips - if you are going to charge me £8 for a sandwich get the basics right and don't give me poor quality!!!!

The hotel information said we could get a map of the grounds and walk round it - I woulldn't bother - the map was no help whatsoever, the grounds were not as spectacular as at first glance, the 'points of interest' were of no interest and most of the pleasant bits were taken up by the golf course.

3/5 may seem generous given this review but the room really made up for some of the down sides. In summary - stay in one of the better rooms, have a drink on the terrace to take in the surroundings but don't bother with a great big trek, avoid the food (there is a great cafe in Chipping Norton which does breakfast if you are room only) and don't look too close at the hotel!!

FYI - we didn't use the pool or gym and hubby didn't actually play golf, so haven't commented on these facilities.

Room Tip: Upgrade upgrade upgrade (the Eldon Room was AMAZING)
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank teamchilcott
GMHeythrop, General Manager at Heythrop Park Resort, responded to this review, 2 April 2012
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to put your feedback, onto the tripadvisor website.
First of all I would like to apologise for the issues you experienced here at Heythrop Park.
I was most concerned to learn of your shortcomings you encountered and wish to offer my sincere apologies for disappointment or inconvenience that resulted. Rest assured that the issues will be brought to the attention of the relevant head of department so that corrective action can be taken to prevent a repetition of your experience.
If you could email me your contact number and when would be a good time to call you so we can discuss your feedback in my detail
Thank you, mstarkey@heythroppaprk.co.uk
Crewkerne, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2012

We booked two nights (Friday & Saturday) at the Heythrop for our anniversary. We took advantage of the advance booking no cancellation rate for a standard double room. Like other reviewers we drove up the 1.7 mile driveway and ended up at the adjoining Crowne Plaza Hotel first - the signage could do with looking at! Heythrop Park House, previously owned by a Duke, Nat West and the English Jesuits, was amazing. However, when we were shown our room in a building adjoining the main house it was little more than a cupboard. We were not expecting luxury but at least a room similar in size to Travelodge accommodation. You could barely swing a cat! We were offered an upgrade to a room in the main house and, after being given a tour, we decided to pay the extra which dented the purse somewhat. I appreciate that February is not necessarily a busy time but we were disappointed to find that breakfast and dinner were served in the restaurant in the Crowne Plaza which meant a trek from our room along a rabbit warren of corridors. The main house has a restaurant and bar but these were closed (presumably because only 3 or 4 rooms were occupied). The food was excellent as was the service. I must say that it was a very pleasant surprise to find all the staff polite, courteous, helpful and smiling. Nothing was too much trouble and that in itself was like a breath of fresh air. The Spa however was disappointing - it is far too small - but the pool and gym were fine. Another disappointment was the bar service. Having chosen a cocktail off the menu on our table in the leisure club I was informed that they did not have the ingredients to do cocktails and that I would have to go to the bar in the Crowne Plaza! That evening I tried again to get a cocktail and only one member of the bar staff knew how to make them. He disappeared and I had two very interesting concoctions from an untrained steward - neither were what I asked for but they tasted OK so, although I was offered an alternative, I was too chilled to be bothered. Special thanks go to "Charlie" on Reception (thank you for the advice on where we could get a Cream Tea in the afternoon) and Diane in the restaurant - you work extremely hard and are both an asset to the Hotel. The golf course was sprawling and very picturesque and the woodland walks peaceful and interesting. Overall we enjoyed our stay.

Room Tip: The standard rooms are basic "conference" style rooms and not very big. If you can afford...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank sue_everest
GMHeythrop, General Manager at Heythrop Park Resort, responded to this review, 29 March 2012
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to put your feedback onto the tripadvisor website, it was a pleasure to have looked after you.
If you are thinking of coming back to the resort please call or me direct and I will take very good care of you.
Worthing
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2012

We booked Heythrop Hall with not very hIgh expectations to be quite honest. We were looking for a reasonably priced hotel to stay in for 2 nights in order to be nearer Cheltenham races one hour away. we were certainly pleasantly surprised , we paid £170 for a 2 night stay for 2 including a very substantial full breakfast , we did not use the restaurant for our evening meal, but the staff could not have been more pleasant or accommodating at breakfast. We had only been in our very clean room for half an hour before a member of staff telephoned to check we had all we needed! We stayed in the older part of the hotel where the rooms were small but completely satisfactory for our need, grounds are spectacular! would certainly book this hotel again ,

• Stayed March 2012
1 Thank max1780
Portsmouth
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2012

The Main House is picturesque with fabulous views. The public areas are well presentable and there are ample areas to go walking. Check in was nice and easy and I was given a room in one of the newer additions to the house, along a number of corridoors. I had a twin room on the first night with both beds pushed together and made as a double. The room was small but was adequate for my needs as i was the only one using it. The bathroom was small with a cubicle shower washbasin and toilet. Dove/Lux soap was in a dispenser by the sink and in the shower cubicle. The shower had a great jet of water. The beds were nice and comfy despite having been pushed together. I had a different room for a further 2 nights which had a double bed and was of the same size as the previous room with all the same features.
The food in the hotel was pre prepared with a set menu for our party which was very nice and well presented. Service by the staff was excellent. Other food in different restaurants and bars looked to be very well presented to.
The breakfast menu choices were very good from cereals to cakes to fresh fruit and buffet style hot breakfast.
The bar prices were slightly more expensive £4.50 for a pint of guiness but this i find is usual for most hotels. There is a swimming pool gym and snooker room at the hotel but i didnt use these facilities and therefore cant comment on them. The complex is joined to the Heythrop Park Crown Plaza. There is a golf course there as well but i dont know how good it is or how much it costs. In all this is a very pleasant stay in the middle of the country. Its easy access to Bicester outlet shopping centre and to visit Oxford or Belnheim Palace.

Room Tip: Ask for one
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2012

My fiance and I stayed at Heythrop for 2 nights after seeing a deal on lastminute.com and wanting to see the Cotswolds. The Main House is picturesque on approach, and the public areas are presentable. We were given a room in one of the newer additions to the house, right in the eves along a number of corridoors. The room was small, clean and suitable for purpose, although definitely nothing to write home about, with tea, coffee etc provided. On check in we were told breakfast would be £15 per person per day, and as the hotel is out of the way and we didn't want to have to leave to find breakfast somewhere we paid this. Breakfast was served over the other side of the hotel (nearer to the Crowne Plaza) and there was a wide selection - which was just as well considering we paid £60 for it for the 2 days we stayed! And the staff during breakfast were very attentive. We did venture into the Crowne Plaza and there is a marked contrast to the main house, I think this has been newly refurbed - and it was gorgeous. We would have definitely stayed in this part of the hotel in hinesight! (Even though it really is not a pretty building from the outside) The bar areas were lovely. The grounds were fine but to be honest unless you were playing golf there is nothing to really look at here. The Main House seemed empty and there couldn't have been many other guests staying - the only time we saw people was at breakfast. Overall we got the impression this is a great hotel for conferences and to play golf, but not a warm and welcoming hotel for the weekend, and the phone signal was non existent. It suited us as a base to explore the Cotswolds but we would not rush back to stay again.

Room Tip: Stay in the Crowne Plaza part of the Hotel as opposed to the other wings directly off the main house...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jade V
GMHeythrop, General Manager at Heythrop Park Resort, responded to this review, 22 March 2012
Thank you for taking the time to put your feedback onto the tripadvisor website, I'm sorry your stay wasn't perfect however if you could email me your contact number and when would be a good time to call you so we can discuss your stay in more detail.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2012

I was planning a Saturday shopping in Oxford and I was looking for somewhere for my fiancee and I to stay for the night to make a special weekend of it. I found Heythrop Park on the Internet and after being blown away by the pictures of the place I made a quick direct call to them and got a room booked with no hassle at all. After a short drive out of Oxford we found the entrance to the park and began an intriguing drive through the estate to the main building. I mistakenly found the impressive modern looking Crown Plaza hotel first and after being directed a little further on I was concerned our actual hotel may be a little disappointing by comparison. It was dark as we pulled up to the gates of the main building and the view was simply amazing. We spoke with an extremely pleasant, polite and very helpful young lady at reception (Charlotte I think?) who made the check-in procedure a joy before directing us to our room in one of the wings. We found the room to be of adequate size and with the usual expected facilities however as Charlotte (?) had given us the opportunity to upgrade we thought it would be worth a look. Wow!! The room in the main building was incredible and there was no hesitation in swapping my room key and paying a few extra pennies (the roll-top bath, comfy sofa and huge bed were such an appealing sight after the day shopping!).
We ventured down to the bar which was shared with the Crown Plaza part of the resort but only a corridor away. It was as expected... clean, modern and extremely comfortable.
After retiring back to our room I had the best nights sleep on a bed so comfy I didn't want to get out of it!
I was reluctant to go for breakfast in the morning as I was concerned that may be the food would not be up to the same standard as everything else but I am so glad I did. The full English buffet style breakfast followed by toasted waffles with syrup on, a glass of Orange juice and a cracking cup of coffee set me up nicely for the day!
We had one concern throughout our stay but the guy on reception during the night dealt with it so professionally it does not even warrant a mention.
Prior to making my booking I read a few reviews on this hotel and maybe my standards aren't as high as some people's? Maybe some folk never had the chance to stay in the room I stayed in, drank in the same bar or had the food choices I did? I can honestly say that throughout my stay I was waiting for something to spoil it because there always is right?..... No it was perfect, I wouldn't have changed a thing as it really couldn't have been better in any way. I look forward to sometime in the future when I can return, probably in the summer when I can enjoy the walks around the estate in the sunshine.... rather than under a brolly in the snow x

• Stayed March 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you so much for your wonderful comments, it is so nice to read these. I would like to say if you are ever in the area again in the future please call or email me first and I will ensure you have another perfect stay with us.
01608 673333
Falkland Arms
#1 of 7 in Chipping Norton
24.8 km away
Macdonald Randolph Hotel

Been to Heythrop Park Resort? Share your experiences!