“Vile.”

Heythrop Park Resort
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Chipping Norton
Reviewed 29 April 2012

Heythrop Park Resort is 2.5 hours away from my home. I seriously considered commuting for the three days of my forced stay after I was shown to my room. Stained bed coverings, no bed valance, single glazed windows, no drawers or suitable storage and a fan that ran constantly and off it's bearing made this hotel stay the longest and least pleasurable in my career. And I've been in Blackpook during party political conferences, when accommodation has been at a premium and I didn't dare take my shoes off in the Guest house room. Vile is the only word I can use to describe this experience. There is a reason that Premier Inn with thier friendly staff and "good night sleep guaranteed" promise is so attractive - and Heythrop Parl Resort and a ridiculous £75 a night is it.

Room Tip: Vile. You deserve better.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Stapleton29
GMHeythrop, General Manager at Heythrop Park Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 1 May 2012

Good morning, I hope you are well....
I'm sorry your stay wasn't perfect, Please could you email me your contact number and when would be a good time to call you so we can discuss your recent stay.

Reviewed 21 April 2012

I stayed here with my wife as she had treated me to a round with the golf pro for a birthday present.
The course & tuition I got were absolutely excellent and whilst I was playing my wife booked in & upgraded us to a room in the main house. This was well worth the extra as it looked out on to the gardens and the room was really spacious but somewhat cold and it would have been nice to have some blinds at the windows of bedroom and bathroom to give some privacy as anyone walking in the Italian Garden could have seen into our rooms.
Dinner was included in our stay but we had difficulty in finding the restaurant as it was in the Crown Plaza complex - better signings would have been helpful.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
GMHeythrop, General Manager at Heythrop Park Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 22 April 2012

Thank you, for taking the time and trouble to put your wonderful feedback onto the tripadvisor website. Your comments make a difference to our resort. If you are thinking of coming back to the resort please call or email me direct.
Once again thank you

Reviewed 15 April 2012

We stayed on a saturday night in 'A' wing in the main house. We had dinner in the bar which was overpriced and poor. My husband had lasagne which had clearly been microwaved as it had curled up edges and lasted like a 99p frozen ready meal. We paid £90 for a double room B&B. The room was absolutely tiny. The bed was not even a double but 3/4 of a double to enable it to fit! It should not have been advertised as a double. It led to a very uncomfortable night's sleep. The room was noisy. I was woken up during the night by the couple next door talking. I could hear every word of their conversation not just a general background noise. I was later disturbed by a flushing loo and noisy pipes. The bathroom was in need of refurbishment and the shower was mouldy. Breakfast in the morning was o.k. Good selection for a fry up but not so good on pastries and no fresh fruit. The fruit juice was heavily watered down.

The grounds are undoubtedly beautiful and parts of the hotel are lovely. It was a shame we got stuck in what felt like a basement corridor in a tatty part. Poor value for money - for £90 I would have at least expected a proper double bed and a quiet, clean room.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Anna B
GMHeythrop, General Manager at Heythrop Park Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 15 April 2012

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to put your feedback onto the tripadvisor website, I'm sorry your stay wasn't perfect. Please could you email me your contact number and when would be a good time to call you so we can discuss your feedback in more detail.
once again thank you, mstarkey@heythroppark.co.uk

Reviewed 12 April 2012

Our thrid visit to Heythrop, and yet again frustrating! Once again there were que's at reception to get booked in, NO Priority Desk check in available again! yet ALL of the other IHG group hotel's that I use have a seperate Priority check in. We were allocated room 078 and when we arrived at this room we were confronted with a small dark (only one window) room, so I ventured back to reception and agin took my place in the que, when my turn arrived to talk with the receptionist (ten minutes later) I asked what status room 078 was, the reply came "a standard room sir!" I then asked if there were any Executive rooms free and the reply was "yes, sir we have some available" I then inquired why I had NOT recieved an upgrade at book in as I have been a Priority Platinum member fot the past decade, the reply was just a murmered "don't know!"

I was now allocated another room, I was asked if I would like any help with my luggage, I replied saying that would not be needed, my wife and I then moved our bags from room 078 to the new room, and when we entered the room it was still dirty and had NOT yet been serviced! Back to reception again and joined yet another que, the receptionist was "gobsmacked" that the room was dirty as on her system it was showing clean and ready for occupancy, she then asked us to go back to room 078 and she would phone me when housekeeping had serviced the room. After apprtoximately 50 minutes we received a call informing us that our new allocated room had finally been cleaned and serviced, at this stage we relocated and unpacked, from start to finish this scenario had taken nearly two hours so at four o'clock we were at last begining to settle down and unwind!

It is such a shame that this hotel lets itself down so badly as it has a wonderful setting with lovely ground's to explore, in such a tranquil and peaceful enviroment.

Room Tip: pick a room situated on the third floor in the "Quiet Area"
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to put your review on Tripadvisor website I'm sorry your stay wasn't perfect. If you could please email me your contact number and when would be a good time to call you so we can discuss your stay.
once again thank you, mstarkey@heythroppark.co.uk

Reviewed 9 April 2012

Booked an overnight stay en route to elsewhere via internet site and got a cheap deal in annexe but was not expecting much .Old hall lovely building but more could be made of its features. Upgraded to room in main hall , got a view of garden which was nice for the price but not brilliant,shower grouting mouldy which was offputting. Very pretty grounds but a bit of a mishmash of styles with new bits and old bits in need or repair. Very welcoming staff and all professional throughout stay. Offered a discounted breakfast at check in and as location is far from anywhere else took it after some deliberation. Awful bog standard hotel breakfast, canned friut, cheap juices, cheap full English etc certainly wasn't worth it though was obliged with a very nice cappuccino instead of awful pot coffee. Food in evening also poor.

Room Tip: Ask and pay for upgrade or stay at related Crowne Plaza
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
GMHeythrop, General Manager at Heythrop Park Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 10 April 2012

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to put your feedback onto the tripadvisor website, Whould it be possible for you email me your contact number or email address and when would be a good time to call you so we can discuss your points in more detail. Thank you

Reviewed 8 April 2012

We booked two room on Priority club point breaks - so got a very good for a two night break. The hotel is in beautiful setting - with acres of woodland and a gold course in its grounds. First impressions is stunning!! My mother-inlaw and daughter shared a twin accessible room which was spacious and airy but no shower - of course ensuite with a bath with grab bars. The room was very clean with free refreshments, tea and coffee making facilities and biscuits. Our room was smaller with one double bed and a rainfall shower. Very nice room but too small for our tastes. I would recommend booking the twin accessible rooms if you prefer lots of space.

On arrival the porter was extremely helpful, indeed as were all the staff. My main issue with the hotel were the cost of the food and breakfast - at £18.50 per breakfast this made it unaffordable to us and we ate at the leisure centre. We purchased tickets for the evening dinner dance on the second night which we regarded as good value and excellent entertainment with a Tribute band to Take That. Please bookas soon as you arrive at the hotel to ensure you get good seats. Please beware because it is easy to run up a bill on the bar tariffs.

The hotel had a nice swimming pool at the leisure centre, though for those with walking difficulties it is some distance and uphill away from the hotel. A golf buggy can be booked for transport though it is not always available.

Room Tip: We asked for adjoining rooms but these were not available to us. The twin accessible rooms are spac...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family

Thank you veyr much for taking the time and trouble to put your wonderful feedback onto the tripadvisor it was a pleasure looking after you. If you are thinking of coming back to the resort please call me or email me direct.

Reviewed 31 March 2012

We booked the hotel via a hotel comparison site and got a good deal, we just wanted a weekend away near Oxford and were aiming to do it on a fairly tight budget. From reviews on here I suspected the rooms may not be great, but I was shocked by how dreadful they really were. It was tiny, had no bath and was frankly grotty.

HOWEVER... we upgraded, at a reduced rate (due to our complaints) and it was a totally different story. We ended up in their best standard of room (Eldon) and it was amazing. One of the best rooms I've ever stayed in.

Service was ok - the Manager was begrudgingly pleasant to us after our initial complaints but the girls on reception were great - they were friendly and helpful.

In terms of cleanliness - there was a tray with breakfast plates etc left outside a nearby room - this remained there for over 24 hours and our room had dead flies under the radiators (not just one or two either).

In general the main part of the hotel is beautiful but needs a bit of TLC internally, there are parts which are completely incongruent. Bits of the hotel have a bit of an 80s gangster film feel about them (think Goodfellas or Casino), parts have a bit of a 'Shining' feel about them and others are like Downton Abbey - odd! Oh and if you are a smoker and are in the bar you have to walk about 3 miles to get outside!!

The drink prices were ok, usual hotel premium, but the food was horrendously over priced. I ordered a 'cold' sandwich which came with salad and it arrived on a warm plate with value tortilla chips - if you are going to charge me £8 for a sandwich get the basics right and don't give me poor quality!!!!

The hotel information said we could get a map of the grounds and walk round it - I woulldn't bother - the map was no help whatsoever, the grounds were not as spectacular as at first glance, the 'points of interest' were of no interest and most of the pleasant bits were taken up by the golf course.

3/5 may seem generous given this review but the room really made up for some of the down sides. In summary - stay in one of the better rooms, have a drink on the terrace to take in the surroundings but don't bother with a great big trek, avoid the food (there is a great cafe in Chipping Norton which does breakfast if you are room only) and don't look too close at the hotel!!

FYI - we didn't use the pool or gym and hubby didn't actually play golf, so haven't commented on these facilities.

Room Tip: Upgrade upgrade upgrade (the Eldon Room was AMAZING)
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank teamchilcott
GMHeythrop, General Manager at Heythrop Park Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2012

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to put your feedback, onto the tripadvisor website.
First of all I would like to apologise for the issues you experienced here at Heythrop Park.
I was most concerned to learn of your shortcomings you encountered and wish to offer my sincere apologies for disappointment or inconvenience that resulted. Rest assured that the issues will be brought to the attention of the relevant head of department so that corrective action can be taken to prevent a repetition of your experience.
If you could email me your contact number and when would be a good time to call you so we can discuss your feedback in my detail
Thank you, mstarkey@heythroppaprk.co.uk

5.0 km away
Crown and Cushion Hotel
Crown and Cushion Hotel
#5 of 5 in Chipping Norton

Been to Heythrop Park Resort? Share your experiences!