All reviewsbroad streetballiol collegethe cafe downstairsgreat locationfirst floorcentral locationno liftold buildingstreet noisestairs are steepheavy luggagecontinental breakfasttrain stationfull englishsofa beddeluxe roomyogurt
Reviewed September 29, 2011

My husband and I stayed here while I was attending a conference at Mansfield College. The hotel is in an ideal location, right in the center of things. We were in room 303, which is nice and spacious with lots of storage. It is, however, at the top of many STEEP and NARROW steps. The windows look right on the street, which is fun (and the lighting is excellent). If noise bothers you, however, it would be a problem. People tend to be out late in large groups, so there are voices ringing over the stones. The wi-fi is so-so, but the wired Internet was fine.

For us, the main problem was that the room was quite warm, despite having the windows open on the cool night air. There is no cross-ventilation. A ceiling fan would make a huge difference, especially since the only bed cover is a comforter--no separate sheet. You're either warmly bundled or completely bare.

I would stay there again, but it's not for everyone.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank goldenstater
Reviewed September 24, 2011

Parking on the road outside the hotel is metered. The parking police are very very good at their job. But I did ask one how to stay there all night. Buy a ticket for 2.5 pound after 6.30pm is good to 11.00pm and there is not charge until 8am next morning, they give you 15 minutes grace.

Have fun

• Stayed: September 2011
3  Thank Gthere
Reviewed September 18, 2011

I stayed with my partner at "The Buttery Hotel" last Friday - Saturday. The location was very good and from the outside the B&B seemed very pleasant.

The receptionist was very friendly and had our "delux" room ready before 2pm, which was a nice touch. However the room wasn't to the 4* standard rating the Buttery has. There were several marks all over the walls, carpets needed deep cleaning and the bathroom also (as several bodily hairs had to be removed from the toilet seat and sink!!!).

The bed was comfortable and the sheets were clean (as expected) but we were facing the front of the hotel, it was extremely noisey all night (as the windows don't close properly) and I could hear people walking around upstairs till the early hours. Also the bathrooms have a strange connection, so when the people upstairs used the shower/toilet the water gushed down through pipes in our bathroom making such a racket (even with the bathroom door closed). I was very tired on Saturday morning.

The breakfast however was very nice and there was a fair amount of choice.

Due to my lack of sleep and a room that wasn't 4* I rate this hotel a 2/5.

Room Tip: If you stay here ask for a room at the back of the hotel, as i would hope these would be quieter
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Meow_King
Buttery11, General Manager at The Buttery Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 31, 2011

It was very disappointing to read this review. At The Buttery, we always aim to have the highest standard of cleanliness throughout our building; we have obviously not achieved this on this occasion. Customers should alwats come to reception with any problems and we will endeavour to sort them out immediately.

Reviewed September 12, 2011

Oxford is a pricey city, and I only needed somewhere to stop over on a conference trip. The Buttery is very conveniently placed, with a large room and good breakfast (in the cafeteria downstairs). The room was very clean and well ventilated.
The internet is a wired connection, though patchy wireless coverage was noted. I was not able to connect to it though. Phone coverage is fine in the room, but you can't get a 3G connection very easily. This was about the only problem.
Would certainly return for an overnight trip! It may not be luxurious, but it was good value and all I could have asked for.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed September 3, 2011

LOCATION:
Couldn't have been better! It is a very popular spot - right in the middle of town and shopping and sights. More than one townsperson commented that it was the best place to stay in Oxford.

GETTING THERE:
We arrived by train from London Paddington train station - paid 21.50 GBP one way, and 5.15 GBP for a taxi from the train station. When we left, we walked to the train station, and it took us about 20 minutes with our luggage. Not a bad walk really, just a lot of people on the sidewalks and heavy bags.

ROOM:
My friend and I stayed one night in a room with 2 twin beds. The photos on the website are accurate. http://www.thebutteryhotel.co.uk/thebuttery.html The room was very clean, bright and comfortable. Our room was on the backside of the hotel and so the view was bad. The small window in the bathroom was a bit low for my comfort. I am certain people across the way could have see us as we used the toilet if the window were open. The toilet was a bit wobbly and made weird hissing noises when not in use. The shampoo, shower gel, hand lotion and hand soap dispensers were very nice. On a Thursday night with the windows open, we could easily hear people outside carousing.

SERVICE & AMENITIES:
The staff was very helpful - even putting some food in their refrigerator and an ice pack in the freezer overnight for us. Free Wi-Fi, or wired access if your device didn't pick up the Wi-Fi signal, was great. The breakfast included a wide selection of fresh fruit, boxed cereal, croissants, and your choice off the hot meal menu. While the eggs were overcooked, the rest of the food was great.

STAIRS, STAIRS, STAIRS:
NOTE: This place has A LOT of WEIRD STAIRS. There was no lift, so if your mobility is challenged in ANY way, you will find it a bit daunting to get to your room. We were in room 202, and in order to get to our room, we went up 2 steep flights of twisty stairs and then after maneuvering around the fire door immediately at the top of the stairs then there were two steps DOWN to our room. While the staff was very accommodating and eagerly helped our luggage (they didn't even seem to want a tip), it was still a bit difficult for 2 weary travelers who had been walking all day.

Would have liked to have a reading room or parlor in the hotel to relax and read when not in the room, but we were satisfied with the cafe and its outdoor seating (when someone wasn't smoking near us). The city was very relaxed and had enough sightseeing to keep us occupied for a couple days. So we wish we would have stayed another night, but the hotel was booked.

Room Tip: Wish We Could Have Stayed Longer!
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends