All reviewsbroad streetballiol collegethe cafe downstairsgreat locationfirst floorcentral locationno liftold buildingstreet noisestairs are steepheavy luggagecontinental breakfasttrain stationfull englishsofa beddeluxe roomyogurt
Reviewed November 28, 2011

Centrally located. Nice enough place to stay - very helpful staff. Average breakfast

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed November 22, 2011

I stayed here in June with my partner as we were attending a meeting in Oxford. The good points are the location is very central. That is about it. The room was tiny, looked out over a back alley and was like a furnace it was so hot. Even sleeping with the window wide open provided no relief. This is an old building so access to the room is via steps and corridors. The result of which is hearing people walking around all night.
The breakfast was average but the staff were quite offish and I didn't really feel welcome. As a result I woudn't stay here again.

Room Tip: Apparently the top floor rooms are larger and I would imagine quieter so request one.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed November 17, 2011

We had booked a one night stay here, attending an event in Jericho. The evening before we were due to arrive we received an email advising us that "a slight problem has arisen with your deluxe double room" and they had moved us to the Mercure Eastgate.

We were a little put out by this, the Mercure is further away from the event and the faffing around was going to eat into our schedule. However, on checking, we soon realised that this was an upgrade to a full service hotel with a free breakfast thrown in for good measure.

What's more, when we arrived at the Buttery to get details of the new arrangement, they gave us £10 towards additional taxi fares!

Based on the prompt, courteous and pleasant service we received at the Buttery I would certainly book a room there in the future - the location is perfect.

Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jart_7
Reviewed November 11, 2011

A great little hotel, in fact it's a four star guest house, and right in the centre of Oxford.
My wife and I stayed there recently and found the staff very friendly. The room was very clean and comfortable, and the breakfast was delicious. Very handy for the theatre, five minutes left and the White Horse, 400+ years old pub, with some really good food and beers, just five minutes to the right along Broad Street.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed October 30, 2011

Great hotel, friendly staff with quite simply the best location in Oxford - in the heart of the City in Broad Street. The room was very comfortable and clean and the breakfast was delicious with a choice of cooked meals, cereals, fresh fruit, juices and yoghurts and croissants. My coffee cup was refilled as soon as it was empty (and even before). If you want to be close to all the sights and within easy reach of the city pubs and restaurants stay here. Not suitable if you cant manage stairs.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple