All reviewsbroad streetballiol collegethe cafe downstairsgreat locationfirst floorcentral locationno liftold buildingstreet noiseheavy luggagecontinental breakfasttrain stationfull englishsofa beddeluxe roomyogurtpark and ride
Reviewed March 9, 2012

We stayed at The Buttery hotel in March 2012. We had a room 101 that is on the streetside, first floor. The room was very comfortable, spacious, clean and the bathroom was very nice and clean. The view was nice with big windows. The location of the hotel is very central, could not be better. The obvious downside is however noise coming from street. It didn't bother us, but I guess some travelers might have a problem with it. So, take earplugs with you :-). Also, lot of stairs in the hotel, and again, no problem for us, but be warned.
The breakfast was nice, although crowded.

I would stay again definitely (with ear-plugs).

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed February 29, 2012

I've not actually stayed in the hotel but I go to The Buttery Cafe at the hotel as I work just along the street doing walking tours. The staff at Buttery, including Marcelo, are super friendly and one thing I also especially like about this cafe is that they can serve me fast- which is important in my case as I just order take away coffee to go as I go to The Buttery when I am working. It's god value for money too and it is ideally located bang in the town centre and they also have a terrace looking onto Balliol College.

Room Tip: I didn't stay in the hotel though.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed February 13, 2012

We stayed for a long week-end in February,three nights in total . The room was comfortable but basic ,although it was describes as a superior deluxe. The toilet needed several attempts to make it flush, the wash hand basin tap was loose and waste plug ill fitting. Location is excellent, but you will need ear-plugs if you take a room facing Broad street at the week-end..We thought the breakfast was appauling, with "The Full English" being an all micro waved affair including the eggs! If you take a third floor room be aware that the staircase is spiral, with over 50 steps with no immediate offer of help with baggae inspite of the fact that we were senior citizens. Breakfast has to be taken before 9o'clock mid week to suit the public use of the cafe.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank oapcouple
Reviewed February 12, 2012

The room offered basic standard accommodation, but lacked the standard and style expected of the price charged for a deluxe room.

• Stayed: February 2012
Reviewed January 1, 2012

we went in December to pick our daughter up from semester abroad from oxford. we did the walking tour which was very informative and worth the money. we then explored on our own. went to Bodlean museum. there is street noise at front of hotel but we came for the oxford experience and were not disappointed. everything walkable. we took bus from heathrow and station is just down the street. we rolled our suitcases to the hotel. we left on train and for 7 pounds we took cab to train station. pre-booked train to london for $7 for the 3 of us plus luggage.

Room Tip: if noise a concern, ask for room not facing the street. be prepared to heave luggage up steps. narrow and spiraling. My advise is that everything in Oxford, London and Paris can be done casual and just take a couple of pairs of jeans, a few sweaters and pack LIGHT! You will not regret the ability to get around if your luggage is just a small easy to lift, rolling suitcase. THe ones with 4 spinner wheels are even easier to handle through all the metro tunnels and train stations.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family