“Lovely hotel in a great location”
Review of The Buttery Hotel

The Buttery Hotel
Ranked #25 of 81 Oxford B&B and Inns
Reading
“Lovely hotel in a great location”
Reviewed 20 April 2012

I stayed here while on a conference with work. Oxford has a lot of costly hotels in the city centre, while a lot of the cheaper chain hotels are on the outskirts which isn't great, but this hotel is a good compromise of being relatively affordable and central. The hotel is right in the heart of Oxford which is great for both business and leisure travellers. I had a room on a top floor and at the back so the street noise wasn't an issue for me. I had a standard double room which was lovely, with a comfortable bed and good bathroom (no bath alas). The room was clean and bright. Some of my colleagues had superior rooms which came with sofas and bigger bathrooms, but also a bigger price tag. I know somebody who had a standard single room and it only cost £50 for the night, which is good for the city centre.

Breakfasts were fine. It would have been nice to have had a choice of how you had your eggs cooked but that was the only downside. The coffee was good and there was cereal, fruit, yoghurt and croissants available as well as the cooked options. The staff were very nice too.

The only small annoyance for me as that the sound really travelled from the room below mine, so I would recommend taking earplugs, but then I recommend that for everybody wherever they go anyway!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank RandomSnackfood

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 April 2012

The Buttery is very centrally located, with attractions surrounding it in every direction. We were very pleased with the helpfulness of the staff, the room cleanliness, and the great breakfasts each morning. Street noise was present in the evenings, but luckily there was a fan in the room that helped drown out much of the noise. We stayed on the 3rd floor, which had a great view of the college across the street and the street below. We would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Derek E
Weldon
Reviewed 6 April 2012

We stayed at The Buttery for one night and could not fault it. The staff were very nice, the location was great with no need to worry about driving and parking (we used the park and ride as suggested and found it worked well). We enjoyed the breakfast after a very comfortable night. Oh it was spotlessly clean too! We will definitely be using The Buttery again on our next trip to Oxford.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Bondi
Reviewed 31 March 2012

Stayed here recently during a one night stay in Oxford. The hotel is in a great location, central and across the road from Balliol and Trinity College. Room was tiny but comfortable bed and well equiped for a good price. It's an old building so a few creaky floorboards but I had no problems sleeping. Would recommend staying here if you need a bed somewhere central.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
Bedfordshire, UK
Reviewed 18 March 2012

Stayed at The Buttery, when I needed a hotel in the centre of Oxford, that was not too expensive. Room was fine if a bit small. Breakfast was as expected. Happy to recommend it, and would stay there again. As mentioned in title the staff are very friendly.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed 9 March 2012

We stayed at The Buttery hotel in March 2012. We had a room 101 that is on the streetside, first floor. The room was very comfortable, spacious, clean and the bathroom was very nice and clean. The view was nice with big windows. The location of the hotel is very central, could not be better. The obvious downside is however noise coming from street. It didn't bother us, but I guess some travelers might have a problem with it. So, take earplugs with you :-). Also, lot of stairs in the hotel, and again, no problem for us, but be warned.
The breakfast was nice, although crowded.

I would stay again definitely (with ear-plugs).

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 February 2012

I've not actually stayed in the hotel but I go to The Buttery Cafe at the hotel as I work just along the street doing walking tours. The staff at Buttery, including Marcelo, are super friendly and one thing I also especially like about this cafe is that they can serve me fast- which is important in my case as I just order take away coffee to go as I go to The Buttery when I am working. It's god value for money too and it is ideally located bang in the town centre and they also have a terrace looking onto Balliol College.

Room Tip: I didn't stay in the hotel though.