“Decent hostel in the city centre”

Oxford Backpackers Hostel
Ranked #17 of 29 Speciality Lodging in Oxford
Reviewed 26 November 2017 via mobile

I cycled down from Daventry, so was very saddle sore by the time I arrived. The hostel's very close to the city centre, which was nice, and the staff are friendly. They offered a lock up for my bike which gave me peace of mind.

Bed was comfortable, and I would have got a decent night's sleep if it wasn't for the irritating "gap yar" students in my dorm coming in and breaching the peace in the early hours with their drunken wailing. Still, that's not a fault of the hostel, but a fault of British and Australian society I guess.

Free breakfast was everything you'd expect from a free hostel breakfast, decent amount of cereal and toast and jam on offer.

On the whole, a good experience, not the cheapest I've stayed in, but also far from the worst, and I would recommend if you're visiting the city.

Stayed: November 2017, travelled solo

Reviewed 29 October 2017 via mobile

Hi I stayed in room 6 female dorm,it's a nice clean hostel,but bring earplugs as there's a nightclub next door which kept me awake most off the night,I might aswell have just gone too it,the hostel can't do anything and it could just be that room

Stayed: October 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 24 October 2017

What a great place to stay.
The place is clean, comfortable and very well equipped. The staff are excellent and nothing is too much trouble for them. Good breakfast, clean rooms and bathrooms, all the facilities you need for a short or a longer stay and at great price in the center of Oxford. What more could you need.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 14 September 2017

My experience in the hostel was fantastic. The location coudnt be better and price was very affordable comparing to oxford prices, so with the free breakfast I consider this a good value hostel. The highlight of my stay was the pub tour the hostel organised for free. They took us to historical pubs around the city. A good opportunity to break ice and get to know other guests. I met people from everywhere and ended up carrying on my trip with people I met there. Definitely go back if I have the chance.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 3 September 2017 via mobile

After reading other reviews I wasn't really looking forward to coming here to be honest but the Hostel I had wanted to stay at was full so I was kinda left with no choice. I arrived and was tended to by a really friendly man on Reception. So far so good... went down to my 8 man mixed dorm and you know, it was fine; I'm staying in a hostel not a 5 star hotel. I was given bed number 5, there wasn't a bed linen pack on my bed so I just took it off another bed, probably shouldn't have but I did (an unused fresh one, not another guests lol) but I couldn't figure out where the included towel was meant to be... I had brought my own so it wasn't a problem. I left my bag on my bed and headed straight out. I didn't return until about 23.45hrs and on getting back the Hostel was fairly quiet and there was no noise in the corridors.

One of the toilets was blocked when I went to bed.

In my dorm there was only 2 people sleeping so I knew people would be arriving back through the night but I expected this. I had earplugs with me and they blocked out most of the noise from outside. What I hadn't come prepared for (although I had thought about it before I left!!) was how bright the room was, there must have been the hostels outside lights outside my window (room 2) so it was almost like daylight in the room so really I needed an eye mask. People did come in through the night but although they did wake me they didn't disturb me too much (one man did turn the light on though!!!!! Div!!)

On getting up at 7.30 the next morning (my bus was at about 9am) and going to the bathrooms all of the toilets were blocked and it was a real disgusting mess. Because I was only staying one night it's difficult for me to know if it was a one off or a regular occurrence.

Breakfast was as rubbish as described in other reviews but at least it was something.

Overall the place was adequate and I'd probably return if I had no other options, the room was clean and warm and I felt safe so I got what I needed.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 17 August 2017

The one good thing is that it is easy walking distance from the bus station--great for people with heavy luggage. Unfortunately, once I arrived, I had to go up a huge flight of stairs just to get to reception. There was no lift. I was lucky that someone offered to help me with my suitcase.

The guy at reception was friendly and showed me lots of places to eat on the map. Unfortunately Oxford is super expensive and even the "budget" restaurants/cafes are quite expensive. The hostel has a kitchen but it is super-gross (see below) so I ended up eating a lot of stale sandwiches from Sainsbury's.

The decor at the hostel could be best described as "90s neon Halloween party" so not particularly appealing. Quiet time in the corridors is 10:30pm and that was pretty strictly enforced, which was nice.

The room only had two outlets for four beds, behind the head of one bed. Everyone had to take turns charging their devices and had to lean over this poor girl's head to get in there. Not convenient at all! There was a little shelf beside each bed, which I like, plus a communal table and mirror for doing hair & makeup.

Wifi was fast and reliable at all times in all places.

The bathrooms were reasonably clean, although not too well ventilated. They got super steamy when multiple people were showering. The showers were awesome, nice and big with lots of space to stretch out and shave my legs; and a gutter for the drains so you wouldn't have to stand in a pool of dirty water if the drains were clogged (which they weren't).

Breakfast was disgusting. Most hostels that serve breakfast have individual packets of butter and jam, but here was just a bowl sitting out with a communal lump of jam for everyone to stick their knife into. It was terribly unsanitary! Also, the food (which there wasn't much of) was laid out in the dining room, but then you had to go into the kitchen to get dishes or use the toaster, so it wasn't very organized either. Finally, you had to wash your own dishes after breakfast, which wouldn't have been so bad if there were clean sponges and working taps. (There weren't.) The kitchen was just overall so gross that I literally never used it and had to eat out a lot.

They do not have guest laundry, but do have a service where they do your laundry for you for a small fee. Okay, I do not want random people touching my dirty underwear, and I do not trust anyone else to take good care of my clothes. My things need to be sorted properly, stain-treated properly, put on the correct cycle, etc. Needless to say, they did not get the dirt out of my nice white socks, and now that they've been through the dryer, it will probably never come out. Also they lost one of my favourite socks, and now its mate is sad and lonely.

Lastly, they play super upbeat pop music in the corridors and bathrooms early in the morning, which makes me feel very stabby. Who in their right minds thought this would be a good idea?! Nobody wants to hear Christina Aguilera belting Lady Marmalade when they're dragging their haggard, crusty, caffeine-craving selves to brush their teeth at the crack of dawn.

Good points: good location, spacious showers, and reliable wifi. Bad points: literally everything else.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank cherryredtoenails
Reviewed 9 August 2017 via mobile

This hostel is cheap and in a good location, but that's all that's good about it!

Checking-in took 20 minutes! There was one guy on reception and a huge queue, plus random people partying around us!

I also felt very uncomfortable as there were large groups of drunk men everywhere throughout my stay here, not appropriate at all!

The bedroom itself was okay, but didn't have any plug sockets.

The bathroom was filthy, water and hair everywhere, with a horrid stale smell.

I would NOT return.