All reviews train station free towels luggage storage longer stay nice place to stay common areas
Reviewed April 14, 2018 via mobile

Don't have to walk far from the train station but that's probably the only thing going for it. Wifi didnt work well so it was very hard to sort out where to stay next and the beds were like children's bunk beds crammed so tightly into a room that 2 people could hardly move past each other between them and because they were all touching, a person that was rolling over 3 beds away would shake your bed. They make the beds for you but you take your laundry out in the morning, I thought this was a nice gesture but when I stripped the bed I understood why with the disgusting stains all over the mattress. The girls toilet was very hard to find and we weren't told where they were in the first place. Free breakfast was just slightly stale bread with jam and cereal.

Stayed: April 2018, travelled with friends
Reviewed March 24, 2018

I stayed at this hostel September 2017 and it is one of the worst I've ever stayed in. It was so poor, in fact, that I actually forfeited my final night's fee to leave early. Unfortunately, finding affordable accommodation in Oxford is very difficult, probably due to the high student population. So, for the backpacker, there are not very many options. It wasn't much cheaper than the hostels I stayed at in London.

The best thing I can say about it is that it's super close to the train station so you can make a quick getaway.

The hostel advertises lockers, one of the features I look for. Except that they have so few of them and there were never any available. The same went for the towels. I asked for a towel both on the night I arrived and the following afternoon. Responses were the same both times, "We don't have any, They are all in the wash.

There is a basic free breakfast but I didn't partake. It was just toast, spreads, and cold cereal.

The bathrooms are small, with only 2 or 3 shower stalls and 2 sinks for so many guests. Good thing I'm the type who showers at night because I got to skip the morning rush. Plus, there was always 1 toilet out of order but not the same toilet.

The hostel was noisy, both inside and outside, at all hours. There are several pubs in the area. The room curtains might as well not have been there, they were so thin they let in a ton of light. The bed was hard and the pillow thin. My room have no storage and was crowded.

The common area was also noisy and crowded. There was nowhere to just sit quietly and read or write. The furniture was in poor repair but that's OK because for most of the day it was covered with piles of laundry. Don't ask me if it was clean or dirty. Either answer would be gross.

The staff weren't rude but they weren't all that welcoming or helpful either. They do have a laundry service, which was OK but it takes a really long time because, understandably, they have to fit it between the hostel's own laundry. I don't remember the fee for that being overly high but the girl at the desk said she couldn't give me change for my notes so I had to leave the hostel and buy a coffee so I could go back to the hostel to pay them to wash my clothes. I wouldn't have done it if I weren't so desperate for clean laundry.

I would definitely NOT recommend Oxford Backpackers except to my worst enemies.

Room Tip: Splurge on a hotel if you're only staying 1 or 2 nights.
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed March 14, 2018

This is a very run down over priced hostel and best avoided. While central & staff are friendly it is not clean with vents covered in dirt & a lot of stains on the walls etc. It badly needs a full refurbishment and has a big shortage of basics like plug sockets,crockery in the kitchen etc

Room Tip: Some rooms have single glaze windows with condinsation so try to avoid these
  • Stayed: February 2018, travelled with friends
Reviewed March 3, 2018 via mobile

It was good at beginning, nice location and friendly people from all over the world.You can play and dance in the common area. But It is horrible when the music still on at 4:30am. I was awakened by the noisy, hearing people walking by and speak loudly, can't sleep anymore. I live in Room 1, so close to the common area. I have never imaged this, like sleeping in a pub with some crazy people.Will not come back and recommend to anyone I know.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled with friends
Reviewed January 21, 2018

The hostel is near the train station which is very convenient and near the city centre.
The common areas are fine: couches, pool, bar...
The bathroom is clean, both toilets and shower but the toilets are very narrow!!!
The very negative point is the smell in the rooms. As it's winter, I guess they never open the windows and the smell is terrible!!! (I slept in a mixed dormitory)
The staff is alright