All reviews nice common area train station longer stay city centre pubs students suitcases lock
Reviewed October 28, 2018 via mobile

I booked my one night stay a month ahead, paid by debit card, and then when I went to check in they would not accept my photo id (TFL card), and refused my reservation!
To get this photo card, I had to give copies of passport, NI number, etc to TFL, but the sullen man at the desk just told me blandly "nope no good". The Backpackers site does not say that they only accept passport .. it just says official photo id. My TFL card is 100% official - I believe this receptionist guy was being ageist - didnt want someone "old" staying there.
Yeah, its a dingy place which states how they offer bar crawls etc, but it doesnt usually bother me, and Ive stayed in many hostels.
I was very sad to have to change all my plans and (buy new travel ticket) go home early, but it was impossible to find new hostel/hotel and that point. Thank God Im only 2hours from home.
Nasty experience.

Date of stay: October 2018
Reviewed July 30, 2018 via mobile

Let's be honest.. if you are expecting to have all mod cons then you are misguided paying such a small amount for accomodation in Oxford. To stay here you need to have an open mind, a sense adventure and a wish to meet interesting people. For anyone else.. best stay safe with a Travelodge.. sure the rooms are small and there's a lot of people to share the space with, but this is a very functional hostel for those who are a bit more chilled.

Reviewed July 24, 2018 via mobile

Do not waste your time and money this place is dire. No bedside lamp, plug point or shelf. Not enough lockers, i.e. 4 lockers in a 6 person dorm. No where to hang clothes, no hangers if you wanted to just hang them from random places. Teeny room with 6 bunks crammed in. Staff on reception who don't speak English. Insistence on £5 cash deposit and refusal to take card or even allow me to dump bag in room while I went off in search for a cash point. Stuffy hot rooms without air con. Good luck if you decide to brave it here!

Most things in the hostel have seen better days and are past their best from the lockers to the kitchen units. Air vents are caked in dust. There is a general unpleasant odour which tells you you've made a mistake and should walk away, if only Booking.com allowed you a refund so you could put it towards something decent.

After a truly terrible night's sleep, I left to find better accommodation even though I'd paid for the next two nights and wasn't allowed a refund. I have stayed in many hostels and this one is, hands down, the worst.

Reviewed July 5, 2018

1. I had an issue at the check-in. I booked through booking.com and paid my reservation, but at the front desk they made me pay again because they didn't receive the payment; a few minutes later they checked in their system that I had actually paid and gave me my money back, and I was happy with that, these things happen, although I don't think I'm the first person to book through booking.com.
2. The facilities are the main problem in this hostel. The room was very small even for a 4 bed bunker, there were no lockers in the room and I only found 2 plug sockets. There were only 3 showers and 3 toilets for women for the whole floor with 12 rooms, obviously not enough, and they were dirty. I had to queue every time I wanted to wash my hands or brush my teeth. The corridor and communal areas were also dirty. It's probably the worst hostel I've stayed in in all Europe. They served breakfast until 8 am, and I needed to leave earlier, but I heard it was just a basic continental breakfast, so didn't miss much.
My recommendation: stay away from this place.

• Trip type: Travelled solo
2  Thank Rebeca L
Reviewed June 27, 2018 via mobile

Worst experience ever in my life. Smelly ,dirty. 10 people in very small room. I did not slept at all. I booked for 9 night after a second night i left. Staff is rude not helpfull at all. I asked coffe because i had to woke up at 5am. Breakfast from 7am .I asked at least 1 cup of hot water. Same answer.

Date of stay: June 2018